First 12

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Honestly if someone hands me a statistic on type, I want to check where it came from and how it was sourced....and then laugh at it....well sometimes. Other times it has some interesting information.
    Every time I've investigated statistics on MBTI, or at least tried to, the trail runs dead quickly - sometimes immediately. So many books give off statistics and have NO reference for where they came from. Often they call it "estimated frequencies" - does that mean pulling numbers out of your butt?

I will admit, I find the way statistics are gathered to be confusing. Of all the maths, that one is the hardest for me to get my brain around (and I was always good at math in school and college). So I don't really know what is legit, but much of the time, it sounds sketchy to me simply because of what you noted - how do we know people tested accurately? How much verification of their type is there?

Like many here, I did not test my type initially, nor for many years, and I still often do not test my type (I test INTP much of the time). However, I did not identify with the type I tested, so instead of being mistyped, I simply did not settle on anything. It took more thorough investigation on my part to see I was INFP (because Feeling is so poorly represented on most tests).

I think sometimes those MBTI certified coaches make matters worse too; I've heard they sort of coax people into the type they tested as, and they rely on a lot of behavioral stereotypes. Their knowledge of the Jungian theory and cognitive functions may be poor. So even if they are educating people a bit to help them identify their type, they may still be leading them down the wrong path.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Of course. People into this theory aren't usually given a decent incentive for identifying as a sensing type.
    Absolutely not. That's part of why I like the function descriptions - Se and Si are really fascinating and impressive compared to the standard "S" descriptions.

N is also made out to be way more "special" than it is. It's just conceptual, theoretical thought. Making connections and forming mental models to understand. It's not necessarily more "advanced"; it's a distortion of information for the purpose of rapid utilization. It's a trade-off, and not always the better one.