In machine learning there is a way to classify models as either forward models or inverse models. A forward model is one in which all of the steps are specified and the model tries to predict the outcome. An inverse model is one in which the outcome is specified and the model tries to specify the steps.

As an ISTP I see myself as doing lots of inverse modeling, and I see the INTJs around me (and there are lots - I'm in academia) encouraging me to do more forward modeling. When I am reasoning and I am relying on TiNi, it feels like I have the ability to simply tell you whether or not an outcome is possible. This perception comes with the confidence that I could make it happen if I needed to, and an associated laziness in which I'd really rather not actually go through all the steps unless necessary. The INTJs, on the other hand, seem to be working in a much more step by step manner, trying not to overgeneralize and go too far beyond the data, which is reminiscent of forward modeling.

I strongly resonated with the TiNi loop concept which I recently encountered here. Just imagine it - you are skipping as many steps as possible for the sake of efficiency and you are following the path of those of your intuitions that have a high level of confidence associated with them. And yet you ultimately lack evidence, are reasoning about things which one can not test in any number of lifetimes, let alone your lifetime. But you are compelled to do it because - what if: what if you really can generalize from what we know to a theory of everything, and all we need to do is have the want and passion and imagination to try doing it? And what if we can not only come up with this theory, but come up with a way to test it? And what if there really aren't that many steps? And what if, what if, what if. What if I just keep trying, I'll figure it all out?

This is inverse modeling gone wild. An ISTP that gets plenty of Sexperience (new, awesome word?) will instead be much more grounded in proximal reality and will tend to do more forward modeling.

And there you have it. Since I got so much out of the TiNi concept, I wanted to give my insights into it back. Thanks.