• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are we ultimately more defined by our inferior functions than dominant?

A

Anew Leaf

If point A is the land of our dominant functions, our secure fortress of relaxed comfy knowledge, but we are forever on a collision course with point B, our insecure lair of tert and inferior functions... does that journey towards them more define us than the place we came from?

I just find that the older I get, the more compelling a need for control and domination is. In my business I like being in charge and needed and looked up to for guidance more often than I used to resent such intrusions.

thoughts from others on my tiny seed pearl of spit and sand and concept. Let us have an orgy of social saliva and grit form a new Voltron pearl of knowledge.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Inferior functions seem mighty.
Someone not Ti? OMG, they can't tell A from B.
Someone not Se? They must be sitting on a chair immobile all day not aware of anything.
Someone not Fe? They must be socially unaware.
Someone not Ni? Uhh, they must be someone with no insight at all.

A

Anew Leaf

Inferior functions seem mighty.
Someone not Ti? OMG, they can't tell A from B.
Someone not Se? They must be sitting on a chair immobile all day not aware of anything.
Someone not Fe? They must be socially unaware.
Someone not Ni? Uhh, they must be someone with no insight at all.

Hmm, I reject your spit offering as it doesn't agree with my thought process.

ScottJames

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The dominant and inferior functions are two side of the same coin. You can't have one without the other. So there's a lot that could be said that's context dependent, but to make a general statement one-way or the other I think would be incomplete.

Nicodemus

I am what I have, not what I lack. I am better defined by what I do than what I do not do.

Right now I am drinking camomile tea with fresh lime juice.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't feel very connected to my inferior function. I've got strong Ne, and Si is a function whose weakness I have to work to compensate for. I do, though, wonder if I feel more defined by Fi since it's introverted. I use Ne all the time, but it's not as personal to me than Fi. It's something that I feel sole ownership of, and get very protective of.

sculpting

Ne is my world, Si is my anchor...it is also my ball and chain to drag around tying me down, when in my own best interest I should allow change.

Because it is so unconscious, it can be very difficult to be reasonable or rational on issues of Si-they are simply MUSTS, often stupid ones. As I find them, I can pin them down and identify the ones that matter and the ones that do not-but until I pin a particular issue down, it will tend to control me. I am learning a great deal by watching older STJs and seeing how they evaluate Si/Te problems and how they will choose between possible Si constraints.

Jaguar

I am just as much defined by what I do as what I do not do. And yet I am doing it all—consciously and unconsciously.

N

NPcomplete

[MENTION=13402]Saturned[/MENTION], do you mean that "inferior" functions are akin to how our inner forts are (gooey/pillowy/reptilian blood/stormy/etc) whereas "dominant" functions are what we're more likely to show (mazes/ice/warm sunny beaches/etc)?

*thinks*

Nicodemus

I am just as much defined by what I do as what I do not do.
So never having caused a genocide defines you just as much as having starting your own business in high school?

I doubt it. /whisper

A

Anew Leaf

[MENTION=13402]Saturned[/MENTION], do you mean that "inferior" functions are akin to how our inner forts are (gooey/pillowy/reptilian blood/stormy/etc) whereas "dominant" functions are what we're more likely to show (mazes/ice/warm sunny beaches/etc)?

*thinks*

I think possibly I mean that the quest to become one with our inferior is what our lives are threaded with and that seeking out is more definitive than which we just simply are be default. That the seeking out of something, the earning of it, is more important that what we were just freely given at birth by whatever twisted mating of soul and thought became our personality out of the ether abyss.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think possibly I mean that the quest to become one with our inferior is what our lives are threaded with and that seeking out is more definitive than which we just simply are be default. That the seeking out of something, the earning of it, is more important that what we were just freely given at birth by whatever twisted mating of soul and thought became our personality out of the ether abyss.

So do you believe that we can or should try to achieve a stronger inferior function?

N

NPcomplete

Aha! The everlasting chasing of starlight then.

Mayhaps.

A

Anew Leaf

I feel like this question is really "are you more defined by what you are, or what you aren't?" I think that depends on your perspective, and is philosophical in nature.

And for further perspective, your 3rd and 4th functions are relatively strong, as compared to 5th-8th.

Yes. Me + Ti = no bueno.

So do you believe that we can or should try to achieve a stronger inferior function?

I believe it happens whether we will it or not as our course is set shooting straight on to the third star on the right.

Problems may arise when people try to submit new coordinates into the starship thinking that they can do the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs or something.

A

Anew Leaf

Aha! The everlasting chasing of starlight then.

Mayhaps.

We always think alike my dearest heart-twin-girl. ;,; (HAPPY SQUID FACE SAYS MOAR STARS)

I think it may be time for Muse.

I also think that this starlight, should we live long enough, is something that we shall obtain. At first it is merely that pinprick of light aways off but then closaire eet comes to us and then boom, magical unicorn lovefest with glitter and wings and snuggle soft laundry detergent wafting towards us and it is magical.

N

NPcomplete

We always think alike my dearest heart-twin-girl. ;,; (HAPPY SQUID FACE SAYS MOAR STARS)

I think it may be time for Muse.

I also think that this starlight, should we live long enough, is something that we shall obtain. At first it is merely that pinprick of light aways off but then closaire eet comes to us and then boom, magical unicorn lovefest with glitter and wings and snuggle soft laundry detergent wafting towards us and it is magical.

Yes, we do, my dearest squid.

As we travel towards starlight, so does the starlight travel towards us. How to snatch the light and save it in the endless drive of the black hole of our hearts before we become Depends-dependent and breathe our eventual last?

Jaguar

So never having caused a genocide defines you just as much as having starting your own business in high school?

I doubt it. /whisper

Since my post was woefully misinterpreted, I'll send you an instruction manual. Don't worry, it'll be written in braille.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I don't think so, at all. Like Nicodemus, I identify and think I am better identified by the qualities that I have rather than the ones I lack.

I also reject the notion that MBTI or Jungian growth has to include "development" of the inferior until you can "use" it like someone with it as the dominant would. I think it comes more from reducing or eliminating the psychological friction the inferior causes with the will.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I've had a similar thought before.

But what I have come to realise is people often misunderstand the inferior as automatically being unconscious to the fullest extent. The inferior is actually more or less conscious/unconscious to the degree that an individual attempts to accept it's influence and pitfalls on their own life and then engage with it in an aware manner.

Also it is not that a person is incapable of appropriating their inferior function in terms of application, it is more that it causes a degree of discomfort and stress when they attempt to engage with the mindset behind it.

For example, an IFP can use Te to apply to certain elements in day to day life, algebra, taking notes, perhaps organising their work space or approach to work somehow. Now it is debatable that these are activities to be associated with Te or any particular function at all.

But that's besides the point, which is that an IFP in this example can use Te to their hearts content, but what they will always struggle with is the mindset behind Te.

They cannot willfully disregard personal valuations in favour of impersonal objective criteria, as this involves unbalancing the cognition they have spent their entire lives with. However this does not stop an IFP or any other type for that matter, from learning to understand those infamous 'inferior outbursts' and perhaps that sometimes the facts do speak for themselves.

Another example would be INJ's. INJ's can engage with Se by dancing, practicing physical activities or even drinking....in other words enjoying the experiences of the senses and the adventure that can bring in the physical world. What they struggle to do is maintain that response ready mindset that is native to Se.

Their minds are always looking for that trigger to space out and pull in all those Ni frameworks. Attempting to hold the attention here and now with a natural cognition like that, would be like trying to clean an oil spill with a flamethrower; eventually it's going to clash and combust.

In any case the most important goal as I see it, is to attempt to understand the inferior in terms of it's influence on ones self. Using the aforementioned examples we could see how an IFP attempting this might be more inclined to organise their life and make use of the surrounding systems to do so.

And for an INJ this might include not planning as much or at least attempting to predict the outcome as much, letting oneself relax once in a while and enjoying moments as they arise once in a while, so as to avoid becoming a neurotic who misses out on some of the simpler pleasures in life.

None of this comes easily though, an individual must push themselves to develop this acceptance and awareness of the inferior.

But then many of those things in life that are worth having never come easily.