User Tag List

123 Last

Anew Leaf

Default Are we ultimately more defined by our inferior functions than dominant?

If point A is the land of our dominant functions, our secure fortress of relaxed comfy knowledge, but we are forever on a collision course with point B, our insecure lair of tert and inferior functions... does that journey towards them more define us than the place we came from?

I just find that the older I get, the more compelling a need for control and domination is. In my business I like being in charge and needed and looked up to for guidance more often than I used to resent such intrusions.

thoughts from others on my tiny seed pearl of spit and sand and concept. Let us have an orgy of social saliva and grit form a new Voltron pearl of knowledge.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Inferior functions seem mighty.
    Someone not Ti? OMG, they can't tell A from B.
    Someone not Se? They must be sitting on a chair immobile all day not aware of anything.
    Someone not Fe? They must be socially unaware.
    Someone not Ni? Uhh, they must be someone with no insight at all.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    Inferior functions seem mighty.
    Someone not Ti? OMG, they can't tell A from B.
    Someone not Se? They must be sitting on a chair immobile all day not aware of anything.
    Someone not Fe? They must be socially unaware.
    Someone not Ni? Uhh, they must be someone with no insight at all.
    Hmm, I reject your spit offering as it doesn't agree with my thought process.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

The dominant and inferior functions are two side of the same coin. You can't have one without the other. So there's a lot that could be said that's context dependent, but to make a general statement one-way or the other I think would be incomplete.

I am what I have, not what I lack. I am better defined by what I do than what I do not do.

Right now I am drinking camomile tea with fresh lime juice.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

I don't feel very connected to my inferior function. I've got strong Ne, and Si is a function whose weakness I have to work to compensate for. I do, though, wonder if I feel more defined by Fi since it's introverted. I use Ne all the time, but it's not as personal to me than Fi. It's something that I feel sole ownership of, and get very protective of.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Ne is my world, Si is my anchor...it is also my ball and chain to drag around tying me down, when in my own best interest I should allow change.

Because it is so unconscious, it can be very difficult to be reasonable or rational on issues of Si-they are simply MUSTS, often stupid ones. As I find them, I can pin them down and identify the ones that matter and the ones that do not-but until I pin a particular issue down, it will tend to control me. I am learning a great deal by watching older STJs and seeing how they evaluate Si/Te problems and how they will choose between possible Si constraints.

I am just as much defined by what I do as what I do not do. And yet I am doing it all—consciously and unconsciously.

NPcomplete

@Saturned, do you mean that "inferior" functions are akin to how our inner forts are (gooey/pillowy/reptilian blood/stormy/etc) whereas "dominant" functions are what we're more likely to show (mazes/ice/warm sunny beaches/etc)?

*thinks*

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I am just as much defined by what I do as what I do not do.
    So never having caused a genocide defines you just as much as having starting your own business in high school?

I doubt it. /whisper