User Tag List

Stansmith

Default Inferior Fe vs. Dominant Fi when it comes to "Manners"

Are types who have Fe as their inferior function (IxTPs) better at Fe-related social cues and decorum than people who have Fi as their dominant or aux-function? How would an ITP and an IFP differ in the way they handle a touchy emotional situation or topic?

This video comes to mind, and it makes me wonder if an IxTP would be as "clumsy" as Garfield is:

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

No.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

For me, manners are an extent of my sincere respect and consideration for other people. But I won't have society imposed "manners" if they make no sense to me. Same with social cues in general, I will be polite and respectful of people, but if externally-imposed rules means I have to be fake then I never comply. And I find it very insulting if someone is being "polite" to me and I can blatantly see that they're being fake. I'd rather have honesty.
    In that sense, personally, I would guess inferior Fe > aux Fi, but i'm just talking for myself.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I wrote a long response to this and my phone died..

I'd say my ISTP boyfriend is more socially savvy than I am, but I'm not entirely sure it's type related. He's more charming than me and knows how to get his way with people better. I do think I'm a little more conscious about how people are reacting to certain things though, and better at gauging people's comfort level.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

maybe when they're much older or have a fe parent or spouse they might be more aware a concerned with group harmony etc but fi people are not lacking in manners.

some of us fi people even had fe parents or spouses too
    or a grandmother that made them take etiquette classes. :/
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

No, they aren't.

IXTP will withdraw (comes off as 'being ignored' by them). IXFP will avoid (comes off 'doesn't care'). Both can go on a sulk-fest but it's typically a low-key, steady sulk that is prone to contaminating the emotional atmosphere...hehe.

It gets better when they realize that they can actually communicate about unpleasant stuff and live through it. Who knew!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    Are types who have Fe as their inferior function (IxTPs) better at Fe-related social cues and decorum than people who have Fi as their dominant or aux-function? How would an ITP and an IFP differ in the way they handle a touchy emotional situation or topic?

This video comes to mind, and it makes me wonder if an IxTP would be as "clumsy" as Garfield is:

i've seen this video before tho and think its such an awesome fi/fe video

it's cool to show their different ways of being caring. i love it so much and how cute are they!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I don't think so, not past a certain age.

Maybe that's why my Fi dom mom thinks I'm a social butterfly (?!?!). I think I tend to, often unconsciously, soften my Thinking edges when I talk to people. It's as though I've built up a database of how my thought process can make people react, and can use that information to avoid drama I'd rather not deal with, but express myself as much as I need to. I'd rather not do the work required to manage someone in an agitated state, so I try to do things that avoid them getting to that state. Ultimately, this requires a smaller energy expenditure.

And, many times, in the eyes of others, extending an olive branch is the only way to win. If they look like a bigger asshole than I do, ultimately, they're the ones who lose.

The bottom of my tritype is enneagram 9, so I suppose that's one way that enters the picture.

The one trap that does happen is that I overdo it... I'll apologize too much or something like that.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78