User Tag List

12 Last

Society

Question what are the core assumptions behind typology?

let's break it down:
    what are the core assumptions behind the enneagram?
    what are the core assumptions behind MBTI?

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

With MBTI, probably the idea that most people seem much like one of the 16 types, with few or none who are in between.
    Probably quite central is the idea that person's tertiary or 4th function follows a pattern from 1st and 2nd.

The core assumption is that, without gathering data, we can intuitively know our personality type, the personality type of our family, our friends, of celebrities and our pets.

It's an intellectual and moral failure to recognise that mbti and astrology are simply to manipulate the vulnerable and the gullible.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    The core assumption is that, without gathering data, we can intuitively know our personality type, the personality type of our family, our friends, of celebrities and our pets.
    Why do you assume data isn't gathered by people when they type someone? When I type someone, I can always provide an explanation for why I think so. These explanations are based on data, unless you're excluding personal observations as data. Which gives you tenuous ground to stand on, as well.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Devito!
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    Devito!
    Perhaps, but I'm so used to this one that I'm going to let Devito take care of his penguins for the moment.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

WALMART

Intuition = big picture thinking

As long as I can break everyone of this misnomer regarding the theory, I will be just alright.

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Why do you assume data isn't gathered by people when they type someone? When I type someone, I can always provide an explanation for why I think so. These explanations are based on data, unless you're excluding personal observations as data. Which gives you tenuous ground to stand on, as well.
    There are protocols for collecting scientific data - my guess is that they elude you.

There is a genuine problem with ignoring the truth value of mbti or astrology. And that is we are primed to ignore the truth value of so many other things. So wish fulfillment, projection, and appearance take the place of truth.

And when we all do this together in one place, it becomes a powerful group delusion.

And so we are primed for group delusion in other areas of life. And we come to need a group delusion to function.

It's like addicts who congregate together to feel it is alright to shoot up; or like anorexics who congregate together to become thinner and thinner.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Devito, where are you?

The central assumption of both systems is that personalities and psychologies are not universal across the human species. There are, however, certain patterns and guidelines that recur. Variation is not entirely infinite.

These patterns and guidelines are not confined to certain ethnic backgrounds or sex organs, and are more widely distributed than that.

It does not appear to assume where this variation comes from, and whether it is nature or nurture.

Visit my Johari: