• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introverts: How much alone time do you need?

S

Stansmith

What's the most time you can spend alone without going crazy?

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
I don't know if I am an introvert (people tell me I am), but I feel like I can go three months without talking to anyone.

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
And be perfectly fine with it?

Well, I wouldn't say perfectly fine with it, but I like it much much better that way. Being alone would be better if I had the ability to make the things I think up a reality. One of my fantasies in high school was living in a secluded Japanese garden (kind of like a little fairy). Instead, I am stuck in a house that allows way too many bugs inside.

Edit: I read during those three months (or more embarrassingly, I am watching America's Next Top Model). I usually am online even though I am not talking to anyone (I watch funny youtube videos or I am looking at artsy stuff), but even then too much computer time bothers me so I sit in darkness for a while. At times, I am forced to go outdoors when I have to get stuff from the store, but I try to avoid making eye contact with people and get out as quickly as possible. So if you mean complete isolation (like locked in a dark room with no windows or anything to stimulate the senses), then I wouldn't be able to last more than a day or something. Give me at least a picture book (or better, give me coffee flavored ice cream ...with oreos).

EditEdit:: Also, I am with my family ...but we're not really sociable with each other (I ignore them as much as I can), so it's not exactly three months... but it is a three month period that I wish I never had to see/communicate with anyone ever.

Last edited:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I have no idea. I've always lived with other people. I think I'd make it at least 48 hours with no ill effects, though, once I got used to it.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
if talking to people on the internets(forums, game) doesent count, i cant really say how long i can go alone, i have spent like bit over 2 weeks without seeing friends irl when it was winter and didnt have any problems with it(summer is different because it doesent last very long and thus creates pressure to do more things with friends and that can cause anxiety about wasted summer). but when it comes to needing alone time, now that im working and am interacting with people in work quite much, its nice to have one day in the week when i just sit on a computer and do nothing.

Nicodemus

It is difficult to differentiate between the time I need alone to cope with existence and the time I spend alone because I prefer it to being around others. However, I have, in good spirits, spent months without any contact with friends or family, and probably up to two weeks without leaving the apartment. Nowadays, I am more sociable.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hard to say.

I consider myself introverted (whatever the actual order of my cognitive functions, which suggests Si-inf), and I've lived in isolation for about 2 and a half years. I'm not saying I'm happy about that--it's not very fulfilling--but I can self-entertain really well.

Doesn't make me feel like I'm not going crazy though. I talk to the walls.

A

Anew Leaf

It is difficult to differentiate between the time I need alone to cope with existence and the time I spend alone because I prefer it to being around others. However, I have, in good spirits, spent months without any contact with friends or family, and probably up to two weeks without leaving the apartment. Nowadays, I am more sociable.

this is a beautiful sum up my dearest dear of deers.

I live alone by choice because I have to be in E-mode all day at work. That first hour of silence and being alone... so addicting.

I find my socialness is a learned, adapted trait. It doesn't occur to me to seek out my friends on the weekends, so they usually hunt me down as they are all primarily E's. for example, about a month ago I was kidnapped :C by my ENFJ and ENFP friends since they hadn't seen me in 2-3 months. They were clever about it too. Texting me, as I foolishly assume texting is safe, and then saying open your damn door. and there they were. I DIDNT EVEN HAVE PANTS ON.

sigh.

THE END.