123 Last

MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    845 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Default Ne-users and Absurdism

For some reason, every time I think of Extraverted Intuition (Ne), my mind always goes to people devising absurdist scenarios by mixing strange things together, coming up with things such as "vampire unicorns" and "robot ninja dinosaurs" or "nazi pirates". Perhaps this is because all of my friends who utilize Ne as one of their dominant functions have expressed this sort of absurdism themselves.

I myself am mildly amused by trying to imagine such combinations; but through virtue of my more Introverted use of Intuition, my mind usually ends up trying to imagine such ideas in the context of a meaningful plot and story (I think this is because my Introverted Intuition creates little videos or pictures in my mind that capture the essence of the ideas I'm thinking about, which is why I want to go into some form of visual storytelling as a career.)

Do you think such willingness to enjoy and follow through with such ideas an indicator of Ne-usage?

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

That's a funny observation. I don't think I come up with things quite like that, but I definitely see how that could be a product of Ne at work. I have been told I make connections between concepts, I guess word combinations wouldn't be excluded from that. For me though, it's usually in the form of a one-liner or...I don't know, longer phrase? I like to find connections to references, either personal experiences (recalling a shared experience in a funny way) or quotes from movies that are connected in a novel way. I think the most unifying concept is that it's best when I'm engaging with others and the energy is moving.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Socionics
    ILI Ni

It seemed to me as well that Ne users tend to say such things...however its not common for ir to do so. I think Ne is alot more "random" than Ni, though.

Stansmith

Ni-imagination is much weirder and out there. Have you ever seen a Stanley Kubrick film?

Socionics
    ILI Ni

Define "weird" and "out there".

Stansmith

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    Define "weird" and "out there".
    With Ne art, it's like "Bam! Here's something really weird/quirky, Bam! here's another weird quirky thing", while Ni-art is like casually walking inside your house and finding a group of cross-dressing dogs playing poker, and then having to watch them do that for 20 minutes.

Ne-imagination is just ADHD, while Ni-imagination is like schizophrenia or an acid trip to people who don't get it.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    Ni-imagination is much weirder and out there. Have you ever seen a Stanley Kubrick film?
    My husband's Ni is more like fantasy or plot-based like @Ribonuke said. He can go off on ideas or stories in ways that blow my mind. So I feel like that's a different kind of "out there" than saying bizarre things loosely related to the situation at hand like I tend toward.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

That could be Ne. Perhaps it's more to do with lesser Ne as influenced by other functions, as in an ESFJ for example.

I also somewhat associate this with Se.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

I love to imagine things…
    I am a creative writer…
    I've expirienced some of what you are calling Ni, despite being Ne-Dom.
    I'm wondering if it could be Ne and Fi in conjunction, though…

Stansmith

Alot of ESxP's fake Ne humor alot nowadays too. It's trendy. Look at the type of humor that's being used in all social media now.