User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 57

  1. #31
    Society
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ribonuke View Post
    For some reason, every time I think of Extraverted Intuition (Ne), my mind always goes to people devising absurdist scenarios by mixing strange things together, coming up with things such as "vampire unicorns" and "robot ninja dinosaurs" or "nazi pirates". Perhaps this is because all of my friends who utilize Ne as one of their dominant functions have expressed this sort of absurdism themselves.

    I myself am mildly amused by trying to imagine such combinations; but through virtue of my more Introverted use of Intuition, my mind usually ends up trying to imagine such ideas in the context of a meaningful plot and story (I think this is because my Introverted Intuition creates little videos or pictures in my mind that capture the essence of the ideas I'm thinking about, which is why I want to go into some form of visual storytelling as a career.)

    Do you think such willingness to enjoy and follow through with such ideas an indicator of Ne-usage?
    that is just how Ne works - it takes patterns and synthesizes them with other patterns, a big DNA splicer in the back of your head.

    while it might seem absurd, it has nothing to do btw with absurdism.

  2. #32
    Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    while it might seem absurd, it has nothing to do btw with absurdism.
    I think it's actually mean to be Absurdity. Personally, I had no knowledge of the philosophical implications of the term.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

    I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

    - Emily Bronte

  3. #33
    darkened dreams labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    Alot of ESxP's fake Ne humor alot nowadays too. It's trendy. Look at the type of humor that's being used in all social media now.
    It seems like when Se does this it is more visceral and can focus more on juxtapositions than connections. It is the focus on contrast that creates a startling shock or sensation. I'm really familiar with Ne-doms who have this sort of creativity and they manage to find ways to actually connect absurdly different concepts. It combines juxtaposition with at least one element of integration. It is a mental game and a real head-trip.

    I know Fi-doms who construct stories with extremely diverse elements, but that integrate on some level to emphasize a sense of meaning.

    Ni can be absurdist, but you could think of it more as avoiding mixed metaphors. It's larger scales and more deeply integrated. Edit: There is a guy who has made his rounds online who has an issue that goes beyond Ni, but he provides a good extreme example of integrated absurdity. Harrie Christus and his elaborate theory about the micro-mini-people that build tiny spaceships that comprise atoms and all of matter. I can't find his website anymore, but his theory attempts to explain all of reality. There's more to it than that, and he seems really sincere and a quiet soul. I think he could actually be a Ni-dom, although he has other issues he deals with internally.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

    I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

  4. #34
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    After years of listening to my INFP sister and her INFP friend scream "god isn't real" at random passerbys, chant the same phrases ad infinitum as loud as possible, and generally conduct themselves without a scrap of regard towards the external world, I've come to understand the territory of Ne.

    It is certainly absurd.

  5. #35
    Senior Member Dancing_Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    LIE
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ribonuke View Post
    For some reason, every time I think of Extraverted Intuition (Ne), my mind always goes to people devising absurdist scenarios by mixing strange things together, coming up with things such as "vampire unicorns" and "robot ninja dinosaurs" or "nazi pirates". Perhaps this is because all of my friends who utilize Ne as one of their dominant functions have expressed this sort of absurdism themselves.

    I myself am mildly amused by trying to imagine such combinations; but through virtue of my more Introverted use of Intuition, my mind usually ends up trying to imagine such ideas in the context of a meaningful plot and story (I think this is because my Introverted Intuition creates little videos or pictures in my mind that capture the essence of the ideas I'm thinking about, which is why I want to go into some form of visual storytelling as a career.)

    Do you think such willingness to enjoy and follow through with such ideas an indicator of Ne-usage?
    I've been called a great storyteller before and have a vivid imagination, but it doesn't involve childish things or unicorns. The thing is that starting from the "scene" boom around '07 a lot of people, not only teenagers but adults too, got obsessed with the "random" concept. The amount of obviously made up dialogue post with "PURPLE HIPPOS!" in them I had to scroll through is no joke

    It's pretty clear if you use Tumblr on a regular basis and also in personality forums like this one and others, being ENFP/ENTP is a desired prize. Both types are said to be rare, yet Tumblr, TypologyCentral and PersonalityCafe are busting with ENFPs, ENTPs and the Ni drivens INTJs.

    I agree with @Stansmith, a lot of people from other types fake being Ne driven. It's such a shame, doing a disservice to your own personality. Great video examples too, that Kill Bill scene is one of my favorites

  6. #36
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    After years of listening to my INFP sister and her INFP friend scream "god isn't real" at random passerbys, chant the same phrases ad infinitum as loud as possible, and generally conduct themselves without a scrap of regard towards the external world, I've come to understand the territory of Ne.

    It is certainly absurd.
    I feel your pain, actually.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

  7. #37
    Senior Member Dancing_Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    LIE
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    After years of listening to my INFP sister and her INFP friend scream "god isn't real" at random passerbys, chant the same phrases ad infinitum as loud as possible, and generally conduct themselves without a scrap of regard towards the external world, I've come to understand the territory of Ne.

    It is certainly absurd.
    Never seen any stable person of any type pulling this kind of stunt. It seems to be fairly ordinary though, based on how often I've seen ESFPs being described as doing such things while I was still unsure of weather I was one and reading forum threads like crazy. Since sensors do it too, I doubt it's a "Ne thing". I can't even imagine myself or my INFP mother doing it.

    Scary

  8. #38
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dancing_Queen View Post
    Never seen any stable person of any type pulling this kind of stunt. It seems to be fairly ordinary though, based on how often I've seen ESFPs being described as doing such things while I was still unsure of weather I was one and reading forum threads like crazy. Since sensors do it too, I doubt it's a "Ne thing". I can't even imagine myself or my INFP mother doing it.

    Scary
    Is it not an Ne thing?

    I don't know. It got its reputation as being a crazy function for a reason, even if what I've read from Jung were irrelevant and all we had to go on was 'common knowledge'.

    Ne is like the consciousness untethered. I don't think many would disagree with that statement. This quality extends into the social realm. It can really act without regard to the systems it's in, and what's weird is that Jung explicity places this quality on Ne and not Se.

    Yet Se has the reputation it does...

    Like usual in life - Memes 1, Facts 0

  9. #39
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    Is it not an Ne thing?

    I don't know. It got its reputation as being a crazy function for a reason, even if what I've read from Jung were irrelevant and all we had to go on was 'common knowledge'.

    Ne is like the consciousness untethered. I don't think many would disagree with that statement. This quality extends into the social realm. It can really act without regard to the systems it's in, and what's weird is that Jung explicity places this quality on Ne and not Se.
    I look at Ne as being global, and Se as being local. Maybe you consider that to be reiterating the "big picture" thing you so despise, but wouldn' t you agree that Ne seems less "in the moment"? I think Ne seems random because it's less confined to the immediate environment.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

  10. #40
    Senior Member Dancing_Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    LIE
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    Is it not an Ne thing?

    I don't know. It got its reputation as being a crazy function for a reason, even if what I've read from Jung were irrelevant and all we had to go on was 'common knowledge'.

    Ne is like the consciousness untethered. I don't think many would disagree with that statement. This quality extends into the social realm. It can really act without regard to the systems it's in, and what's weird is that Jung explicity places this quality on Ne and not Se.

    Yet Se has the reputation it does...

    Like usual in life - Memes 1, Facts 0
    The keyword in your post is reputation .

    I think you're focusing too much on theory and too little on actual people. Your information on Ne is spot on, but nobody is a cognitive function, no matter how often we use it.

    I'm an ENFP with high social skills, and one who hates rudeness and attention whoring even in the slightest way. But two out of four ESFPs I now and one ESTP fit the description you posted.

    Dealing with real life examples of personality types definitely shows Jung was right in telling people to not take his theories too seriously

Similar Threads

  1. Ne Users--Definitions of Extroversion and Introversion
    By j0mm in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-19-2017, 06:28 PM
  2. Ne users and boredom/frustration
    By Tamske in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-27-2010, 01:49 AM
  3. Ne, mindmapping and memory recollection?
    By Snow Turtle in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-21-2009, 04:01 PM
  4. Replies: 54
    Last Post: 06-30-2009, 05:38 PM
  5. inp's and isp's how do you experience Ne Si and Se Ni could there be confusion?
    By INFtha14 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-27-2009, 12:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO