User Tag List

12 Last

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Default MBTI and population

Just out of curiosity, which population was sampled to determine percentages for MBTI types?

Do you think culture matters?
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

heart on fire

I think culture affects how the preferences are expressed.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn Beine View Post
    Just out of curiosity, which population was sampled to determine percentages for MBTI types?

From The Myers & Briggs Foundation

Although the study groups for the original research for the MBTI® instrument were drawn from populations in the United States, subsequent MBTI personality research has proved that type differences correlate in all the cultures studied.
    More About Personality Type - International Use - Multicultural Use of the MBTI Instrument

# Distributions of the sixteen types differ across different cultures. However, distribution patterns are similar across all the cultures studied.

* STJ types predominate in all cultures.

MBTI
    xNFP

Thank you for your assistance. I have a question: Even though the type differences occur across all nationalities, is it possible that different nationalities have different proportions and/or percentages of each type? (Or do they mean that the percentages correlate among all groups?)

I'm asking because somehow I have the feeling that Germany MUST have different percentages than the US. My personality is extremely uncommon in Germany. On the whole, Germans tend to be much more reserved and structured - and our systems tend to be much more bureaucratic. People also tend to be much more direct, to the point, etc. Our state also has a great deal more centralized power.

Of course, then one must ask the question: Are these socialized behaviors or intrinsic tendencies? Although I recognize that general cultural differences and historical developments can constitute the main reason for these systemic differences, I still believe that MBTI percentages would be different in Germany. I'm convinced!

However, I do not want to make a premature assessment because I have not been dealing with the MBTI that long.

Thanks for your assistance. I look forward to anyone else's additional input.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Default Growing up absurd

It seems silly to keep on saying this but MBTI has no more truth value than astrology.

MBTI and astrology are essentially religious beliefs.

MBTI and astrology are not connected to reality. They are essentially imaginary.

Personally I am very attracted to the imaginary, for instance in poetry.

So I would say that MBTI and astrology are essentially poetic.

After all poetry does nothing and neither does MBTI or astrology.

Poetry is completely useless like MBTI or astrology, and yet some think that poetry is the purpose of our civilization.

So MBTI and astrology are poetry for beginners.

But to stop at the beginning and go no further is to grow up absurd.

MBTI
    TiSe

Depends on what you call population. Based on what I have read Myers-Briggs' stats were derived from the school district she worked in during the 50's that comprised of less than 4,000 students, Keirsey admitted that he never conducted a study but guessed and the most recent and largest study conducted to date was in Ontario Canada with 16,000 surveys sent and less than one percent returned. There has been no real study.

As for whether culture matters, Myers-Briggs says that it can't be dismissed that since there are some who are born with clean slates, predisposition to type is not totally certain and cultural influence may be the reason that there are so many SJs. We sort of started a similar topic here.

MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    Depends on what you call population. Based on what I have read Myers-Briggs' stats were derived from the school district she worked in during the 50's that comprised of less than 4,000 students, Keirsey admitted that he never conducted a study but guessed and the most recent and largest study conducted to date was in Ontario Canada with 16,000 surveys sent and less than one percent returned. There has been no real study.

As for whether culture matters, Myers-Briggs says that it can't be dismissed that since there are some who are born with clean slates, predisposition to type is not totally certain and cultural influence may be the reason that there are so many SJs. We sort of started a similar topic here.
    Thanks! I did not realize the topic was already discussed since I am relatively new here. I appreciate it!

MBTI
    TiSe

Thank you for your assistance. I have a question: Even though the type differences occur across all nationalities, is it possible that different nationalities have different proportions and/or percentages of each type? (Or do they mean that the percentages correlate among all groups?).
    Not only is it that true but the only assertion that can be made regarding statistics and population breakdown. I guarantee the eastern culture will have almost an opposite population breakdown than the western. Typical of the USA to make ethnocentric assertions as though the world revolves around us. Yet in defense of type, I have never read where Myers-Briggs, Keirsey or anyone implied that the type breakdown went beyond the USA. That has only been expounded on by readers over the years.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

I think the same personality type can look different in different cultures. For example: American extrovert can look a bit different than a Finnish extrovert. I heard this from professional MBTI trainers and it's true. Finnish people in general tend to be more reserved than Americans.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Alcea Rosea View Post
    I think the same personality type can look different in different cultures. For example: American extrovert can look a bit different than a Finnish extrovert. I heard this from professional MBTI trainers and it's true. Finnish people in general tend to be more reserved than Americans.
    I am not sure that I agree with this. There are basic principles of type that I would think has to remain constant regardless of external influences. Clearly again and as I have always claimed that to determine anything by dichotomy is limiting and results in a force choice. So to give an example by your example about extraversion, which extravert are we alluding to Te, Fe, Se, Ne? They're all going to be different and based on the degree of healthiness and development of auxiliary or other functions, even these aforementioned may look different regardless of culture.