• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Extroverts, how often do you need time to yourself?

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Do you literally talk to yourself while you commute? And by that, I assume you mean you drive?

Yes literally, well, under my breath. I also tend to rehearse things like, future dialogues with insurance agents, welcome speeches to give to contractors, things I would have said differently to people in the past, etc. But my imagination is usually re-enacting a memory or something and I'm talking under my breath the words I did say, should have said, or should say in the future.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah me too... I prefer it that way but I could totally live in some sort of hippie commune or some other alternative type living environment with say 15-30 houses with their own lil families or groups living in them and we all get together for meals or to sit and chat around a bonfire.
I love the idea of having a lot of close friends around and sharing a living space with them... Not all in the same house but same lil community or something.

I used to live on this cool street right by this fun strip that a bunch of my friends and I used to like to hang out and we had about 6 houses of friends on the street and we'd play ping ping outside or sit by a fire pit and have wine and just go between houses all the time. It was awesome.

I think I've been missing that ever since.

me too. when i was growing up i lived in the youngest neighborhood in the entire country. this was so cool, i knew everyone and i always had people ringing my doorbell and we were always outside etc. i kinda miss that, now you never get surprises, people always call you before.
then in my early 20s i lived in a house with 25 people. and all of them brought friends all the time, so genuinely i can tell you that for more than a month i wasn't even sure of who was my housemate or not. but it was great, it was great living with friends in a sort of commune.
i guess friends have always been my pilar in life.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes. Communal living is my natural state I think. Between growing up with 2 sisters, school, and college, I'm losing my mind in a house with just one other person. Stupid society.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
are you ok with this arrangement?
That much alone time this year has been boring and I'm seeking a way out of it. I'm not looking to replace it with some uber-social activities tho, just working or learning stuff with other people will do.

totent

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
Shyness and privacy are more generalized reasons for avoiding or stepping away from social interactions in my opinion. They do play a role in determining the extent to which a person interacts with others but shyness is more a case of learned behavior and privacy is a human need (differentiated degrees, of course) than a case of choice through preference. I am definitely not a party animal anyway and I have always had a small number of close friends and have been uneasy in large gatherings, specially when my close friends haven't been with me. But even with this inner circle of people that I have, I trust myself the most with whatever goes on in my mind. In my summer breaks for instance, I spend the first few weeks meeting up with my friends, even hitting the parties now and then, and I've gotta be honest, its a lot of fun and I look forward to the next plan each time. But a couple of weeks into this phase, its as if I have absorbed a lot of stuff and I need time to process it and so I slowly begin to reduce my outings and spend a lot of time to myself. Once I'm done with the processing, I start enjoying being alone where I have the freedom of thinking/doing anything and everything. Somehow I can spend many hours alone and not realize the amount of time that has passed. Later however, after around the same amount of time it takes for me to get into this phase, I begin getting out of it. Usually triggered by an "obligatory" outing, like a birthday party, where I meet my friends and start looking forward to going out again and then the cycle continues. But definitely, withdrawing from social interactions and having time to myself is something I need. Without these phases I cannot remain honest in my interactions in the sense that I am forced into them rather than wanting them.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
Yes. Communal living is my natural state I think. Between growing up with 2 sisters, school, and college, I'm losing my mind in a house with just one other person. Stupid society.
Preach, sister! Growing up with a sibling, then having the busy social groups of high school and college, then university where I was surrounded by people so often that I would have to get off-campus for a five minute break. This past year after graduating, I have been losing my mind. No one warned me about the sudden drop-off in interaction! All that's keeping me going is the idea of rebuilding the same level of interaction again.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
Yeah me too... I prefer it that way but I could totally live in some sort of hippie commune or some other alternative type living environment with say 15-30 houses with their own lil families or groups living in them and we all get together for meals or to sit and chat around a bonfire.
I love the idea of having a lot of close friends around and sharing a living space with them... Not all in the same house but same lil community or something.

I used to live on this cool street right by this fun strip that a bunch of my friends and I used to like to hang out and we had about 6 houses of friends on the street and we'd play ping ping outside or sit by a fire pit and have wine and just go between houses all the time. It was awesome.

I think I've been missing that ever since.

me too. when i was growing up i lived in the youngest neighborhood in the entire country. this was so cool, i knew everyone and i always had people ringing my doorbell and we were always outside etc. i kinda miss that, now you never get surprises, people always call you before.
then in my early 20s i lived in a house with 25 people. and all of them brought friends all the time, so genuinely i can tell you that for more than a month i wasn't even sure of who was my housemate or not. but it was great, it was great living with friends in a sort of commune.
i guess friends have always been my pilar in life.
I lived with a group of friends in college, and they were always inviting their friends over. All of the girls I lived with were nice and had similar interests...and all of the people they invited over were interesting. It was a pretty idyllic living situation. I love living with tons of other people...so long as I have a little bit of space all to myself in case I need a retreat.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
No one warned me about the sudden drop-off in interaction! All that's keeping me going is the idea of rebuilding the same level of interaction again.

Right?! It's a huge change! I'm so excited to be going to school again because my interaction time will go way up, thank goodness! As it is now I tend to seek out my family all the time.

I'm with all those who like the idea of semi-communal living. My boyfriend and I both like being around a lot of people so we're living in a downtown area, which is great, and someday maybe we can have a townhome or just a little house in a dense, close-knit area.

In college I had an individual room in a suite my senior year and I LOVED it because people were always around and dropping by but I still had my little retreat if I wanted it.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
That much alone time this year has been boring and I'm seeking a way out of it. I'm not looking to replace it with some uber-social activities tho, just working or learning stuff with other people will do.
Go get it, Santtu! That does sound like kind of a low level of stimulation.

Shyness and privacy are more generalized reasons for avoiding or stepping away from social interactions in my opinion. They do play a role in determining the extent to which a person interacts with others but shyness is more a case of learned behavior and privacy is a human need (differentiated degrees, of course) than a case of choice through preference. I am definitely not a party animal anyway and I have always had a small number of close friends and have been uneasy in large gatherings, specially when my close friends haven't been with me. But even with this inner circle of people that I have, I trust myself the most with whatever goes on in my mind. In my summer breaks for instance, I spend the first few weeks meeting up with my friends, even hitting the parties now and then, and I've gotta be honest, its a lot of fun and I look forward to the next plan each time. But a couple of weeks into this phase, its as if I have absorbed a lot of stuff and I need time to process it and so I slowly begin to reduce my outings and spend a lot of time to myself. Once I'm done with the processing, I start enjoying being alone where I have the freedom of thinking/doing anything and everything. Somehow I can spend many hours alone and not realize the amount of time that has passed. Later however, after around the same amount of time it takes for me to get into this phase, I begin getting out of it. Usually triggered by an "obligatory" outing, like a birthday party, where I meet my friends and start looking forward to going out again and then the cycle continues. But definitely, withdrawing from social interactions and having time to myself is something I need. Without these phases I cannot remain honest in my interactions in the sense that I am forced into them rather than wanting them.
Yeah, I agree with you about shyness being a learned behavior! Good observation.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
Right?! It's a huge change! I'm so excited to be going to school again because my interaction time will go way up, thank goodness! As it is now I tend to seek out my family all the time.

I'm with all those who like the idea of semi-communal living. My boyfriend and I both like being around a lot of people so we're living in a downtown area, which is great, and someday maybe we can have a townhome or just a little house in a dense, close-knit area.

In college I had an individual room in a suite my senior year and I LOVED it because people were always around and dropping by but I still had my little retreat if I wanted it.
YES! Cannot wait to be back in school again. YES to always chatting up my fam now. YES to living in downtown areas with lots of coffee shops, outdoor spaces where people can hang out, and events. Yes to all of the above, really! What type is your boyfriend, skylights?