User Tag List

First 6789 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Wow, that one put me as ISFJ, with ESFJ or ESTJ as other possibilities. Do you think that maybe I am just a really weird outlier?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    infp

I find it hilarious that intelligence and personality, two subjects psychologists and neurologists have only a vague understanding of, are getting compared, especially using MBTI and IQ. As useful as MBTI is in opening your mind to understanding how different people work, and as useful as IQ is for ego masturbation, neither are really proven that much more accurate than Cosmo's "Is He A Dud or A Stud?" questionaire.

Here's one quote on one of the "definitions" of intelligence:

"Individuals differ from one another in their ability to understand complex ideas, to adapt effectively to the environment, to learn from experience, to engage in various forms of reasoning, to overcome obstacles by taking thought. Although these individual differences can be substantial, they are never entirely consistent: a given person's intellectual performance will vary on different occasions, in different domains, as judged by different criteria. Concepts of "intelligence" are attempts to clarify and organize this complex set of phenomena. Although considerable clarity has been achieved in some areas, no such conceptualization has yet answered all the important questions and none commands universal assent. Indeed, when two dozen prominent theorists were recently asked to define intelligence, they gave two dozen somewhat different definitions." (From Wikipedia's Intelligence article)

This definition, which is a "proposed consensus idea", even admits that no one agrees on what it means, which is exactly why it, and every other definition, are "proposed" defintions up for review. I don't think anyone will ever agree on a definition. People have to much to win or lose by defining intelligence objectively, especially a bunch of egg-head academics. I've always been bothered by the emphasis on "complex thinking" in intelligence definitions. Complex thinking can murder you in practical reality, which isn't a very smart idea. I like the idea that intelligence shouldn't be measured, but aptitude for success, which I guess would be similar to EQ? Whatever...

By the way, Nemo, this is me after reading your post:

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    I find it hilarious that intelligence and personality, two subjects psychologists and neurologists have only a vague understanding of, are getting compared, especially using MBTI and IQ. As useful as MBTI is in opening your mind to understanding how different people work, and as useful as IQ is for ego masturbation, neither are really proven that much more accurate than Cosmo's "Is He A Dud or A Stud?" questionaire.

Here's one quote on one of the "definitions" of intelligence:

"Individuals differ from one another in their ability to understand complex ideas, to adapt effectively to the environment, to learn from experience, to engage in various forms of reasoning, to overcome obstacles by taking thought. Although these individual differences can be substantial, they are never entirely consistent: a given person
    Bravo
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

There are many bright people of all types out there- even ESFJ's. They are just very.. you know.. ESFJ-ish.

I 'love' the type elitism on these forums, haha.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    There are many bright people of all types out there- even ESFJ's. They are just very.. you know.. ESFJ-ish.

I 'love' the type elitism on these forums, haha.
    Right back at you. I'm going to go TALK to my FRIENDS now.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Umm.

I think the point is that no matter how high your IQ is, it doesn't really save you from doing spectacularly stupid things. Only you can prevent yourself from doing spectacularly stupid things. And that's really more important than raw intelligence, isn't it?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Umm.

I think the point is that no matter how high your IQ is, it doesn't really save you from doing spectacularly stupid things. Only you can prevent yourself from doing spectacularly stupid things. And that's really more important than raw intelligence, isn't it?
    Yes, probably. However, I also think that my life has been as fun as it has been at least partly due to the fact that I got a double dose of brains but a half serving of good judgment. I had to earn any wisdom I have now the hard way.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I mean pattern recognition is a good thing but it um... kind of doesn't help when you end up leaving your hand on the stove's burner without noticing and get yourself some third-degree burns
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    epyT

I wonder how those people that estimate the IQs of famous dead people do actually do that.

I say a bingo basket.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Warp View Post
    I wonder how those people that estimate the IQs of famous dead people do actually do that.

I say a bingo basket.

Lol. They can't really 'estimate' at all, its not possible scientifically, all you can tell is whether they were "smart" or "super-smart!" imo.