• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI Step 3

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just took the MBTI Step III. Here is a link to the CAPT site that has a high level description in it.

Basically, this combines what was in several other assessments - e.g., Form M, Step II, the Counselor's report. You get a specific report with a number of different statements and associated questions relative to your type. Based on your answers, there are something like 270 potential statements that can get generated. It's quite a bit different than the other assessments in that that the value is really about the dialogue with the MBTI practitioner as you go through the results. If you didn't do that, I don't think it would be of much use. There are no graphs or pictures. It's all just words in a report. The key sections for the customized feedback were:
- Your Approach to People and Relationships
- Your Approach to Responsibility and Work
- Your Approach to Problem Solving and Decision Making

It looks at your top four function attitudes and how comfortable you are using them - the preferred and non preferred - how well developed they are. The theory is that if you are able to do this with the top 4 then you would have a level of resilience, stamina and happiness in your life. It is looking at life satisfaction and not just type.

My report was pretty much dead on. It was effective in highlighting challenges that I have. I was well aware of most all of the weaknesses/challenges and for almost all of them, I actively try to compensate, which is a good thing. On some, the practitioner gave me some ideas on things I could do or perspectives I could take that I hadn't thought of. One weakness is a tendency towards perfectionism and fear of making a mistake, which causes other problems. I was not quite aware of this. Also, I spend too much time thinking about the future and not enough time in the now. It pointed out how sometimes the dominant function can take over for me. The key thing is it being used for a productive purpose or not and I learned that sometimes it is not. She suggested I watch for cases where I'm taking in too much data, am too much in my head and that when this happens, I need to verbalize and critique what I’m thinking with others that I trust (use Te). Generally, the results pointed to the fact that I am pretty balanced and use the top four with relative ease. My dominant function is well developed as is the auxiliary. Fi seems to be pretty well developed. It was a recurring theme that I can do more to develop Se and exercise it in my life. I'm apparently more verbal and enthusiastic than other INTJs. One interesting point of feedback was that my leadership and interaction style is somewhat consensus based - or at least I pull in a lot of viewpoints to collaborate on answers to problems. It was funny because I just had my annual evaluation at work and that word "collaborate" came up a lot in the discussion as a strength or was something that people commented on. I wasn't always like that. She said most INTJs don't develop this kind of capability and can view other's feedback as an annoyance because they have already spent so much time figuring things out. She said it was a good example of type development.

One of the references in the report was to Myers, K. D. and Kirby, L. K. (1994) Introduction to Type Dynamics and Development. Mountain View, CA: CPP, Inc.
which I found to be a pretty good book.

Overall, I thought it was a worthwhile exercise.
There is no question really here. I just thought it might be worthwhile to share this.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Interesting.

Where did you do this?

And how much did you pay for it?

One interesting point of feedback was that my leadership and interaction style is somewhat consensus based - or at least I pull in a lot of viewpoints to collaborate on answers to problems. It was funny because I just had my annual evaluation at work and that word "collaborate" came up a lot in the discussion as a strength or was something that people commented on. I wasn't always like that. She said most INTJs don't develop this kind of capability and can view other's feedback as an annoyance because they have already spent so much time figuring things out. She said it was a good example of type development.

You should have asked her about her opinions on the Enneagram.

This sounds Enneagram 6ish, and I'd be willing to bet that INTJ 6s tend to be much more like this.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting.

Where did you do this?

And how much did you pay for it?

You should have asked her about her opinions on the Enneagram.

This sounds Enneagram 6ish, and I'd be willing to bet that INTJ 6s tend to be much more like this.

Ann Holm did it for me. It was $175. I didnt ask about enneagram because I was a bit pressed for time but had the same thought you just did.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for the info on this.. I was curious what it entailed. How long did your session with Ann run, and how much background info did you end up sharing?

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Ann Holm did it for me. It was $175. I didnt ask about enneagram because I was a bit pressed for time but had the same thought you just did.

Was this over the phone, or in person?

And how long did it last for?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't understand why you didn't give me another story type-challenge.

Also, the part where you talked about getting out of your head was interesting. I've spent years, maybe decades, trying to get out of my head. And from my INTP perspective, I think I'm far better off staying there.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I did the same. I thought it was useful, but didn't reveal a great deal I didn't know already. It more served as a reminder for staying on top of various issues. It did highlight how I avoid leadership position and group roles (which I knew already), even if I'm semi-central at work despite my best efforts. I also was a reminder of how my bad self image gets in the way (which is something I'm currently working on attacking directly).

I thought Ann was personable and did a good job... I felt like it was a solid value, but it didn't directly offer any new dazzling insight. It made me wish some of the scales mentioned in the Step III manual were directly reported.

Addendum: In reading back through, I'm kind of surprised by how type 5-ish many of the statements are. I guess not too surprising, but wasn't expecting that from an MBTI instrument.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I did the same. I thought it was useful, but didn't reveal a great deal I didn't know already. It more served as a reminder for staying on top of various issues. It did highlight how I avoid leadership position and group roles (which I knew already), even if I'm semi-central at work despite my best efforts. I also was a reminder of how my bad self image gets in the way (which is something I'm currently working on attacking directly).

I thought Ann was personable and did a good job... I felt like it was a solid value, but it didn't directly offer any new dazzling insight. It made me wish some of the scales mentioned in the Step III manual were directly reported.
Yeah, but how much can you tell an INFP over the age of 25 about themselves that they haven't already figured out. ;)

[MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] I'm glad you got something out of it. It must be nice to receive feedback that you're overcoming those common INTJ flaws and pitfalls. Did you consciously attempt to improve those things, or do you think it's just maturity?

And I would second the value of INTJs verbalising critical analysis with trusted minds. I noticed with my good INTJ friend that he does this more, rather than simply lecturing others on his conclusions. That way it's more socially inclusive, the debate is more satisfying for him, and it makes the conclusion more rounded and informed. I've been getting more out of it too, I must say.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm glad you got something out of it. It must be nice to receive feedback that you're overcoming those common INTJ flaws and pitfalls. Did you consciously attempt to improve those things, or do you think it's just maturity?

Some of it may be maturity but I have always been very conscious in my efforts to recognize my flaws and limitations and find ways to compensate for them, largely because it was important for me at work.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for the info on this.. I was curious what it entailed. How long did your session with Ann run, and how much background info did you end up sharing?

Was this over the phone, or in person?

And how long did it last for?

You take the test. It's paper with #2 pencil?! No electronic form. I looked all over for a #2 pencil and didn't have one but did find a mechanical pencil that seemed to work. Then I sent that back to her and she forwards it to CAPT that scores it and sends the results back to her. After that, you set up a phone call to talk through it. I think we talked for about 90 minutes.

There was a lot of discussion on stuff that goes on in my daily life that related to the comments, so it was practical in that way.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, great! Looking at the old thread, I see that when I revived it with what I learned at the presentation, you were interested in taking it. Glad you found someone to administer it to you!