User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Society

here's a question: unhealthy to who - themselves or to others? and no, those don't always contradict, but they aren't always one of the same either - many types seem to exhibit behaviors that are potentially destructive to others around them but they themselves are in peace with and find value in.

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    i think this thread has turned into place for people to voice their prejudices against people they don't like by attaching an arbitrary type to said person
    This is the main usage of typology. To give names to people's prejudices.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    I come here to present new ideas and listen to criticism.

However I am resolutely opposed to personal insults towards me or any member because personal insults are against the rules and may lead to banning.
    What is the difference between an insult and an unflattering observation, or a criticism?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    This is the main usage of typology. To give names to people's prejudices.
    true dat
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    What is the difference between an insult and an unflattering observation, or a criticism?
    In my opinion: an insult is designed to make the person feel bad about her/himself. An unflattering observation or criticism is not insulting if the intent is to not affect the listener this way; taking care to make sure this doesn't happen makes the intention clear. Not taking such care is not insulting in itself, but still is poor treatment because it shows the deliverer of the criticism does not care whether the receiver takes it as an insult; so in a way, if the receiver can't tell whether it is an insult or not, the deliverer is partly responsible no matter how much of a tendency the receiver has to get butthurt. Nevertheless, it is always preferable to avoid such tendencies in oneself.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    In my opinion: an insult is designed to make the person feel bad about her/himself. An unflattering observation or criticism is not insulting if the intent is to not affect the listener this way; taking care to make sure this doesn't happen makes the intention clear. Not taking such care is not insulting in itself, but still is poor treatment because it shows the deliverer of the criticism does not care whether the receiver takes it as an insult.
    I have always maintained that an insult is in the eye of the beholder. Are you saying instead that insult is in the intention of the speaker?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I have always maintained that an insult is in the eye of the beholder. Are you saying instead that insult is in the intention of the speaker?
    Yes.

And I edited my post, so please read the last bit.

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

So in your opinion, if you were to try to insult someone but they didn't take it as such, you would not have insulted them at all? It can't be all in the eye of the beholder.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

ISTP dogs are pure evil, all dogs should be ESTP!
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    So in your opinion, if you were to try to insult someone but they didn't take it as such, you would not have insulted them at all? It can't be all in the eye of the beholder.
    Yes, that would be a failed attempt to insult. It works the same way with compliments. I have had people try to insult me by saying things that I receive simply as objective truths, and try to compliment me by describing me in ways that I find distinctly unflattering. I do not hold them responsible for whatever emotional effect I feel, but it does tell me something about their values and tastes, as well as how well they know me.

I don't try to insult people as a rule, but I can neither know nor be responsible for how someone (mis)interprets my statements. I might, for instance, try to compliment someone on their shoes by pointing out how sturdy and comfortable they look, qualities I value. If the person intended the shoes as a fashion statement, they might interpret my "compliment" to mean the shoes are unattractive, with only practical value, and feel insulted rather than complimented. This difference in interpretation is based entirely on the other person's values and mindset. In making comments, especially criticisms, then, I follow two rules of thumb: is it accurate, and is it useful.