• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can INxPs be openly goofy?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
With people they like and trust, absolutely. They're the silliest people around (after ENXPs, of course) :D

Oh I think they're sillier

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh yeah. Especially when I'm with my ENFP friend. Certain people being that out in me more. I like to laugh and to make other people laugh.

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
Photo #2 looks like a photo I would take. And my sense of humor can get very wacky - sometimes I wonder how I would act high on marijuana (or even funnier - tripping on acid)

But to answer the question - yes, fo sho. Aux Ne pretty much says it all. Combined with Ji dominance - it keeps the strangeness in line, in other words, it can make sense out of it - which makes it all the more funnier.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
Photo #2 looks like a photo I would take. And my sense of humor can get very wacky - sometimes I wonder how I would act high on marijuana (or even funnier - tripping on acid).

Drugs don't make you funnier.

totent

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
Well I've only come across one INxP in my life. An INTP male, much older than me. He comes across as a nice, overly enthusiastic, overly organized, indecisive and carefree person in social situations such as getting a subway sandwich made. Many times he does not understand that he is over complicating things, or that people don't get what he's saying. Also, he can sometimes do some really "socially awkward" things like getting down on his knees to pick up something from a shelf in a supermarket right next to a female (who backs off a couple of steps cause she clearly doesn't know wth this guy is doing). I believe that there are two parts to this whole "jack sparrow" syndrome; he doesn't give a f*ck and he isn't comfortable in social situations. I know from close contact with him that he is way to occupied in his own mind at figuring things out (or simply complaining about being in a social situation in the first place) that he doesn't care how he looks like while he is doing what he's doing. Although I have definitely never seen him resting his head on somebodies shoulder, hugging someone or just generally having any physical interaction with anyone.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think how funny an INXP is due to degree they are using their Extraverted Intuition. If they are suppressing it, they are probably going to seem unfunny and overly serious.

yup.

I most assuredly do not come off this way. At some point earlier in my 20s, I discovered two things:

1. I'm actually pretty good at making people laugh
  2. Humor is a better foundation for relationships than intellectual discussion of l ideas, which just intimidates most people. Even if the person is not intimidated by that kind of thing, humor won't hurt, only help.

Which is an excellent point. Humor can act as a less-scary substitute for more formal social skills.

I like varied kinds of humor, so I can adjust them for the situation. I'm careful about using black humor unless I'm around people I know really well. A lot of times, I'll pack different kinds of humor into something. I'll say something scatalogical, but with an element of wordplay, which covers all my bases among people who have any sense of humor at all.

I have a variety of humor tools in my belt as well. I'm not fond of the tests that make you pick a humor style to somehow define you; I can range from dry to goofy, wordplay and puns to slapstick, veer between blatant farce and sarcasm, throw out a double entendre, etc. It just depends on the context and the mood.

INFPs that rely too heavily on Fi and INTPs that really too heavily on Ti are both unfunny, but in different ways.

I think my best friends from the INP crowd are the ones who lean more heavily on Ne, or at least have a decently strong one they're not afraid of. It's not good to get us together into a room of more serious-minded people, though; we just kind of feed off each other and have to work to rein things in when necessary.

You could say that. I mean, I've mostly gotten my INTP broken of sticking drinking straws in his nose at restaurants and pretending to be a walrus . . .

Duh, gee, t'anks, Tennessee!

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Which is an excellent point. Humor can act as a less-scary substitute for more formal social skills.

Yeah... people aren't intimidated by the idiot that decided to randomly do a Chewbacca impression.

I think my best friends from the INP crowd are the ones who lean more heavily on Ne, or at least have a decently strong one they're not afraid of.

I'm not sure typologically wise, but I like social environments where Ne is accepted, and there is very little that is prohibited. Otherwise, Ti is just straining to logically determine what is supposed to be "acceptable" which it isn't really set up to do. Being around people with whom you feel like you can say whatever is on your mind is pretty awesome... I don't think the younger me thought it was even possible.

It's not good to get us together into a room of more serious-minded people, though; we just kind of feed off each other and have to work to rein things in when necessary.

Why, because the more serious people just get confused/annoyed if things aren't reined in?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah... people aren't intimidated by the idiot that decided to randomly do a Chewbacca impression.

Yes, and while acting out a scene from "The French Lieutenant's Woman"... in French.

I'm not sure typologically wise, but I like social environments where Ne is accepted, and there is very little that is prohibited. Otherwise, Ti is just straining to logically determine what is supposed to be "acceptable" which it isn't really set up to do. Being around people with whom you feel like you can say whatever is on your mind is pretty awesome... I don't think the younger me thought it was even possible.

it takes some time to find your wings... or your in(s)anity.

Why, because the more serious people just get confused/annoyed if things aren't reined in?

Now you've got it.
Which usually just makes things funnier. :doh:

On a different forum a few minutes ago, I found myself challenged by someone to write a trashy Spanish romance novel involving a bat guano fetish and a variation on Puss in Boots.

Oh, the fun never ends!

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes. The question is whether or not we're doing it on purpose.

This...yes :yes:

I am openly goofy when around people I am more emotionally comfortable with. This does not mean they have to be the ONLY people around, but it's like they'll put me at ease regardless of who else is there. I'll ping between between goofy & dry banter, and sometimes I'm weird & goofy due to that "absent-mindedness" associated with NPs. I have a soft spot for absurdities, but can present it "seriously" which makes me look stupid sometimes.

I started "hiding" this when younger because I got some negative reactions as a child, was pegged "weird" by peers, and the subsequent self-concousness made me withdraw quite a bit.

A lot of it depends on my mood & energy level also. I'm cranky far too often, but when in a good mood I tend towards goofy over that "gentle, sweet" description given to INFPs.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
In answer to the OP:

Yes! I can be the life lf the party. I used to play banjo and make up songs at parties, which people loved. I have jumped in swimming pools for no reason (other than alcohol!). I have run naked through a public park because a pretty girl dared me to, etc; yes: INXP's can do these things.:D

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm pretty silly.my inhibitions are low when it comes to making a fool of myself, i don't have to be drunk to do that and be ok with it

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, and while acting out a scene from "The French Lieutenant's Woman"... in French.

We don't really have any proof that Chewbacca is not a woman. He is naked, but no sexual characteristics are visible.

it takes some time to find your wings... or your in(s)anity.

I'm pleasantly surprised about how receptive people can be to this. They may not be used to it, but a lot of people respond positively.

Now you've got it.
Which usually just makes things funnier. :doh:

On a different forum a few minutes ago, I found myself challenged by someone to write a trashy Spanish romance novel involving a bat guano fetish and a variation on Puss in Boots.

Oh, the fun never ends!

I think you need to also make the whole thing an allegory for why we should adopt the gold standard.

I started "hiding" this when younger because I got some negative reactions as a child, was pegged "weird" by peers, and the subsequent self-concousness made me withdraw quite a bit.

Same here.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We don't really have any proof that Chewbacca is not a woman. He is naked, but no sexual characteristics are visible.

EXCEPT FOR THE FACT THAT YOU JUST REFERRED TO CHEWBACCA AS A HE!

Thanks for spoilering things!

Hmm. So what do you THINK is really down there under all that matted hair?

I'm pleasantly surprised about how receptive people can be to this. They may not be used to it, but a lot of people respond positively.

I do get a rush when someone laughs.

I think you need to also make the whole thing an allegory for why we should adopt the gold standard.

Ah, yes -- i know now how to cast the role of "Dark Mysterious Spanish Hottie":
20090330_gold_teethjpg.jpg

(Disclaimer: Role of "Dark Mysterious Spanish Hottie" will be read today by the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air's cousin.)

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
EXCEPT FOR THE FACT THAT YOU JUST REFERRED TO CHEWBACCA AS A HE!

Thanks for spoilering things!

Hmm. So what do you THINK is really down there under all that matted hair?

A miniature cloud city.

Ah, yes -- i know now how to cast the role of "Dark Mysterious Spanish Hottie":
20090330_gold_teethjpg.jpg

(Disclaimer: Role of "Dark Mysterious Spanish Hottie" will be read today by the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air's cousin.)

Not nicholas cage? A dothraki wedding without at least two cages is considered a dull affair.

xxDOIyR.jpg

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Can INxPs be openly goofy?

I'm sorry I couldn't read your thread because my view was blocked by this enormous hat made of butternut squash.