• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can INxPs be openly goofy?

S

Stansmith

Could you see an INTP or INFP being openly silly like this?

APTOPIX_France_Cannes_John_t607.jpg

tumblr_m3rfoa6LbP1ruoxzzo1_500.png

680x478

I'm curious, because I've typed Nicolas Winding Refn and Harmony Korine as INTP and INFP respectively, but am at the same time confused by the fact that they're openly playful, hedonistic and crude like Ne-doms (they otherwise come off as introverts, Nicolas seems classic INTP). I tend to assume INxPs are all reserved and self-conscious.

Could they just be really socially awkward Ne-doms?

S

Stansmith

I also had a friend in highschool who was literally like an introverted version of an ENTP. He was ENTP-esque in humor and demeanor but he was practically a hermit. He didn't have that awkard neurotic serious vibe that stereotypical INTPs have.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
the ones i know can't even help it.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes. The question is whether or not we're doing it on purpose.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
You could say that. I mean, I've mostly gotten my INTP broken of sticking drinking straws in his nose at restaurants and pretending to be a walrus . . .

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Not with strangers usually, but if that person is really freely goofy i might be able to do it aswell. With close friends who i can act freely with its more like:

the ones i know can't even help it.

Whether or not i can act goofy really depends on how freely i can act myself in the eyes of the other person. With strangers its really hard for me to be full me and which sides of myself i do show really depends on what i feel comfortable to show to that particular person. I think this is why some INTP profiles say that INTPs are chameleons.

Standuble

I can. I think of it as partially detaching from myself for a while with the part of my personality still in operation now having freedom to express itself differently. Of course when the moment has passed I feel embarrassment and shame for doing it. It's more of a spur of the moment thing, exclaiming beforehand that I shall be goofy does not guarantee its occurrence but just increases the likelihood.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The real question is: can they be anything else?

baccheion

Sure, if they like the people they are around and are comfortable/relaxed (and not in the middle of being absent-minded because they are caught up thinking about something). And this jives with the theory, as it says someone usually has to be relaxed and happy for their secondary function to manifest strongly.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My first impression is a definite "yes" only without the touching.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think how funny an INXP is due to degree they are using their Extraverted Intuition. If they are suppressing it, they are probably going to seem unfunny and overly serious.

I most assuredly do not come off this way. At some point earlier in my 20s, I discovered two things:

1. I'm actually pretty good at making people laugh
  2. Humor is a better foundation for relationships than intellectual discussion of l ideas, which just intimidates most people. Even if the person is not intimidated by that kind of thing, humor won't hurt, only help.

I like varied kinds of humor, so I can adjust them for the situation. I'm careful about using black humor unless I'm around people I know really well. A lot of times, I'll pack different kinds of humor into something. I'll say something scatalogical, but with an element of wordplay, which covers all my bases among people who have any sense of humor at all.

INFPs that rely too heavily on Fi and INTPs that really too heavily on Ti are both unfunny, but in different ways.

The INFPs with no intuition are offended by scatology, black humor, and tend to even find "clean" popsicle stick puns to be lame. For some reason, when they watch movies or television, those things are less of a problem. INTPs with no suppressed intuition take the Vulcan approach, and dismiss humor because "it is not logical."

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sure, if they like the people they are around and are comfortable/relaxed (and not in the middle of being absent-minded because they are caught up thinking about something). And this jives with the theory, as it says someone usually has to be relaxed and happy for their secondary function to manifest strongly.

This.

You could say that. I mean, I've mostly gotten my INTP broken of sticking drinking straws in his nose at restaurants and pretending to be a walrus . . .

LoL! I've done this.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I like varied kinds of humor, so I can adjust them for the situation. I'm careful about using black humor unless I'm around people I know really well. A lot of times, I'll pack different kinds of humor into something. I'll say something scatalogical, but with an element of wordplay, which covers all my bases among people who have any sense of humor at all.

This being careful about using black humor is one thing that can keep me silent. Really the reason why im able to be freely goofy and crack jokes with my friends is that i dont have to think about whether i offend someone with what i say. The moment i need to censor myself(or even thinking whether i should sensor something that pops on my mind), everything that comes out is delayed so much that i cant really vocalize much before its too late. Also one major thing is that when i do start thinking whether i should say something or not, i start to feel insecure about whether something i want to say can actually be said or not. But what helps a lot is if there is some stimuli(what the other person says or something around us) that i can joke about, in those cases i can joke around more freely and often say stuff about the possibility of something happening which isnt really possible, like "imagine if that..", "yea its because..". I also use self-deprecating humor quite often and usually the jokes come out more of troll style, where the other person might not be first aware that im joking and im keeping a straight face and talk as if i were 100% serious. I also use word play quite often, but my ENTP friend does that much more than i do.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
With people they like and trust, absolutely. They're the silliest people around (after ENXPs, of course) :D

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm not sure I would use the word "goofy" (I actually think that's a good word for the humor of xNFJs) but then again, it's probably accurate.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are INTPs or INFPs as huggy and kissy in their goofiness as seen in the pics? I've personal witnessed some funny faces, puns, and the occasional chicken walk, but there was one instance of running in panic from a tree hugger.