• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Has anyone noticed ENFP's acting like ISTJ's, and ISTJ's acting like ENFP's.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've noticed this a lot. Why do you sometimes see ENFP's act like ISTJ's and vice versa?

S

Stansmith

ISTJs all look like this

250px-HankHill.jpg

They're easily the most anti-ENFP people in existence

S

Stansmith

A refined ENFP looks more like an ENTJ, we don't have that stereotypical Si-stubborness or conservatism. An ENFP trying to emulate xxTJs is more likely to be like "riiiiight." with a sh-t eating grin on their face whenever people disagree with them, while a stereotypical STJ will get all angry and visibly offended when someone disagrees with them.

Basically psuedo Te-dom ENFPs have an air of transcendence and grandiosity like NTJs and have an overall "I don't really care either way" vibe, while STJs are dead serious about everything.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was just watching KING OF THE HILL. I was just thinking Hank was obviously an ISTJ and Dale was possibly an ENFP.

What do you think?

A

Anew Leaf

I notice that fireflies act like space ships sometimes and that space ships sometimes act like aluminum falcons.

The world... IT MAKES NO SENSE.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Theoretically the lower functions can arise in stress, causing an NFP to look STJ and vice versa.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Theoretically the lower functions can arise in stress, causing an NFP to look STJ and vice versa.
yeah...do you buy that theory tho?

i honestly don't...i mean...a stressed enfp...can be all crazy and te like with completely inaccurate si shit going on but it doesn't look like an istj who's in command of those functions.

and...the only time an istj might seem like an enfp is after many cocktails or happy pills of some sort.

in my super expert opinion :D

S

Stansmith

I'm a huge prude when angry, so that theory is plausible.

S

Stansmith

I was just watching KING OF THE HILL. I was just thinking Hank was obviously an ISTJ and Dale was possibly an ENFP.

What do you think?

Dale is a weird ENTP/Ni-dom hybrid. He uses Ni, Ne and Ti without Fe, so he's no INFJ. He also seems to have that nonchalant hedonistic quality that ENTPs have and generally doesn't seem to take himself seriously like INTJs. It would make alot of sense of he was just a huge ENTP troll, there's hint of sarcasm in the weird conspiracy sh-t he says.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
yeah...do you buy that theory tho?

i honestly don't...i mean...a stressed enfp...can be all crazy and te like with completely inaccurate si shit going on but it doesn't look like an istj who's in command of those functions.

and...the only time an istj might seem like an enfp is after many cocktails or happy pills of some sort.

in my super expert opinion :D

:laugh:

I buy it somewhat. I think that we can sloppily, heavy-handedly overuse our lower functions when we've run our primary functions dry... like when a stressed-out ENFP has Ne'd and Fi'd her way through and still nothing's working so she begins slamming things with the Te hammer, or gets hyperobsessive about Si detail in an attempt to overcompensate for her primary functions not being adequate for the situational demand.

And vice versa for the ISTJ. When my ISTJ manager gets really stressed out, he becomes almost childlike. He gets stubborn and silly and protective... not far from NFP. It's really interesting to watch.

Me personally... I do the Te chopping and the Si retreat into cozy things.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think that we can sloppily, heavy-handedly overuse our lower functions when we've run our primary functions dry... like when a stressed-out ENFP has Ne'd and Fi'd her way through and still nothing's working so she begins slamming things with the Te hammer, or gets hyperobsessive about Si detail in an attempt to overcompensate for her primary functions not being adequate for the situational demand.

Just casually dropping the fact that most ENFPs are type 7 and most ISTJs are type 1. 7 disintegrates to 1 so this could be another reason why ENFP can seem ISTJ-like? Although it doesn't deal with why ISTJs can supposedly seem like ENFPs (I've never seen it before; it sounds like a magical sight to behold :reading:)

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:yes: There is so much similarity in their oppositeness.

Starry

Just casually dropping the fact that most ENFPs are type 7 and most ISTJs are type 1. 7 disintegrates to 1 so this could be another reason why ENFP can seem ISTJ-like? Although it doesn't deal with why ISTJs can supposedly seem like ENFPs (I've never seen it before; it sounds like a magical sight to behold :reading:)

I caught this the other day and have been meaning to return and tell you that this is precisely my interpretation of the phenomenon (as inquired about in the OP) as well. e7 --> e1

To the bolded above...this same pathway actually does describe why some ISTJs can seem like ENFPs though...as e7 is the point of integration for e1. In fact, there is a tightly wound INTJ e1 on this site that I have been trying to encourage to take-on some of the characteristics of e7 (and wow this has been a painstaking process haha *Hint* if said INTJ e1 happens to stumble across this post.) Still, if an ISTJ seems to actually be an ENFP rather than an ISTJ that has come into his or her own... then the e1 --> e7 connection is probably an unhealthy one.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I caught this the other day and have been meaning to return and tell you that this is precisely my interpretation of the phenomenon (as inquired about in the OP) as well. e7 --> e1

To the bolded above...this same pathway actually does describe why some ISTJs can seem like ENFPs though...as e7 is the point of integration for e1. In fact, there is a tightly wound INTJ e1 on this site that I have been trying to encourage to take-on some of the characteristics of e7 (and wow this has been a painstaking process haha *Hint* if said INTJ e1 happens to stumble across this post.) Still, if an ISTJ seems to actually be an ENFP rather than an ISTJ that has come into his or her own... then the e1 --> e7 connection is probably an unhealthy one.

I guess that a e1 could go to e7 in stress.

I've noticed that I take on both unhealthy 1 and 5 traits under stress.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
To the bolded above...this same pathway actually does describe why some ISTJs can seem like ENFPs though...as e7 is the point of integration for e1.

Yup! I was thinking this. But I was connecting the e7 --> e1 disintegration with what skylights said about a stressed ENFP using Te and Si, looking like an ISTJ. Both would be caused by stress in that case. But e1 goes to e4, not e7. If we're going with the theory that a stressed ISTJ looks like an ENFP, it should be that e1 disintegrates, not integrates, to e7 which is not true at all.

But after remembering e1 --> e4, this could make sense for ISTJs acting like ENFPs under stress. ENFP 4s are certainly out there in the world doing their thing. :shrug: It also depends what the OP means. Like, does he mean ENFPs and ISTJs acting like each other on a normal basis or does he mean when they're facing stress or does he mean something else? Dunno!

Starry

Yup! I was thinking this. But I was connecting the e7 --> e1 disintegration with what skylights said about a stressed ENFP using Te and Si, looking like an ISTJ. Both would be caused by stress in that case. But e1 goes to e4, not e7. If we're going with the theory that a stressed ISTJ looks like an ENFP, it should be that e1 disintegrates, not integrates, to e7 which is not true at all.

But after remembering e1 --> e4, this could make sense for ISTJs acting like ENFPs under stress. ENFP 4s are certainly out there in the world doing their thing. :shrug: It also depends what the OP means. Like, does he mean ENFPs and ISTJs acting like each other on a normal basis or does he mean when they're facing stress or does he mean something else? Dunno!

Oh whoops...
Um like Magic Qwan indicated to me above :wink: ... I am not someone that believes we only take on the 'negative' qualities of our stress point and the 'positive' qualities of our point of integration. I believe we do both...during periods of stress and periods of health/well-being. And I should have explained that as I know many people do not.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh whoops...
Um like Magic Qwan indicated to me above :wink: ... I am not someone that believes we only take on the 'negative' qualities of our stress point and the 'positive' qualities of our point of integration. I believe we do both...during periods of stress and periods of health/well-being. And I should have explained that as I know many people do not.

I think that forced introversion during my youth has made me into a special case ENFP…

I think that I sometimes try to act like an ISTJ becuase that was the kind of kid my mother wanted. Listening to what she values in offspring, I would match up perfectly if I was ISTJ instead of ENFP.

I guess my persona makes what I really am and what I project blur together…

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that forced introversion during my youth has made me into a special case ENFP…

I think that I sometimes try to act like an ISTJ becuase that was the kind of kid my mother wanted. Listening to what she values in offspring, I would match up perfectly if I was ISTJ instead of ENFP.

I guess my persona makes what I really am and what I project blur together…

what type is your mother?