MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    yeah...do you buy that theory tho?

i honestly don't...i mean...a stressed enfp...can be all crazy and te like with completely inaccurate si shit going on but it doesn't look like an istj who's in command of those functions.

and...the only time an istj might seem like an enfp is after many cocktails or happy pills of some sort.

in my super expert opinion

I buy it somewhat. I think that we can sloppily, heavy-handedly overuse our lower functions when we've run our primary functions dry... like when a stressed-out ENFP has Ne'd and Fi'd her way through and still nothing's working so she begins slamming things with the Te hammer, or gets hyperobsessive about Si detail in an attempt to overcompensate for her primary functions not being adequate for the situational demand.

And vice versa for the ISTJ. When my ISTJ manager gets really stressed out, he becomes almost childlike. He gets stubborn and silly and protective... not far from NFP. It's really interesting to watch.

Me personally... I do the Te chopping and the Si retreat into cozy things.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I think that we can sloppily, heavy-handedly overuse our lower functions when we've run our primary functions dry... like when a stressed-out ENFP has Ne'd and Fi'd her way through and still nothing's working so she begins slamming things with the Te hammer, or gets hyperobsessive about Si detail in an attempt to overcompensate for her primary functions not being adequate for the situational demand.
    Just casually dropping the fact that most ENFPs are type 7 and most ISTJs are type 1. 7 disintegrates to 1 so this could be another reason why ENFP can seem ISTJ-like? Although it doesn't deal with why ISTJs can supposedly seem like ENFPs (I've never seen it before; it sounds like a magical sight to behold )
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

There is so much similarity in their oppositeness.

WALMART

@DisneyGeek comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    Just casually dropping the fact that most ENFPs are type 7 and most ISTJs are type 1. 7 disintegrates to 1 so this could be another reason why ENFP can seem ISTJ-like? Although it doesn't deal with why ISTJs can supposedly seem like ENFPs (I've never seen it before; it sounds like a magical sight to behold )
    I caught this the other day and have been meaning to return and tell you that this is precisely my interpretation of the phenomenon (as inquired about in the OP) as well. e7 --> e1

To the bolded above...this same pathway actually does describe why some ISTJs can seem like ENFPs though...as e7 is the point of integration for e1. In fact, there is a tightly wound INTJ e1 on this site that I have been trying to encourage to take-on some of the characteristics of e7 (and wow this has been a painstaking process haha *Hint* if said INTJ e1 happens to stumble across this post.) Still, if an ISTJ seems to actually be an ENFP rather than an ISTJ that has come into his or her own... then the e1 --> e7 connection is probably an unhealthy one.

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    I caught this the other day and have been meaning to return and tell you that this is precisely my interpretation of the phenomenon (as inquired about in the OP) as well. e7 --> e1

To the bolded above...this same pathway actually does describe why some ISTJs can seem like ENFPs though...as e7 is the point of integration for e1. In fact, there is a tightly wound INTJ e1 on this site that I have been trying to encourage to take-on some of the characteristics of e7 (and wow this has been a painstaking process haha *Hint* if said INTJ e1 happens to stumble across this post.) Still, if an ISTJ seems to actually be an ENFP rather than an ISTJ that has come into his or her own... then the e1 --> e7 connection is probably an unhealthy one.
    I guess that a e1 could go to e7 in stress.

I've noticed that I take on both unhealthy 1 and 5 traits under stress.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

To the bolded above...this same pathway actually does describe why some ISTJs can seem like ENFPs though...as e7 is the point of integration for e1.
    Yup! I was thinking this. But I was connecting the e7 --> e1 disintegration with what skylights said about a stressed ENFP using Te and Si, looking like an ISTJ. Both would be caused by stress in that case. But e1 goes to e4, not e7. If we're going with the theory that a stressed ISTJ looks like an ENFP, it should be that e1 disintegrates, not integrates, to e7 which is not true at all.

But after remembering e1 --> e4, this could make sense for ISTJs acting like ENFPs under stress. ENFP 4s are certainly out there in the world doing their thing. It also depends what the OP means. Like, does he mean ENFPs and ISTJs acting like each other on a normal basis or does he mean when they're facing stress or does he mean something else? Dunno!
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    Yup! I was thinking this. But I was connecting the e7 --> e1 disintegration with what skylights said about a stressed ENFP using Te and Si, looking like an ISTJ. Both would be caused by stress in that case. But e1 goes to e4, not e7. If we're going with the theory that a stressed ISTJ looks like an ENFP, it should be that e1 disintegrates, not integrates, to e7 which is not true at all.

But after remembering e1 --> e4, this could make sense for ISTJs acting like ENFPs under stress. ENFP 4s are certainly out there in the world doing their thing. It also depends what the OP means. Like, does he mean ENFPs and ISTJs acting like each other on a normal basis or does he mean when they're facing stress or does he mean something else? Dunno!
    Oh whoops...
    Um like Magic Qwan indicated to me above ... I am not someone that believes we only take on the 'negative' qualities of our stress point and the 'positive' qualities of our point of integration. I believe we do both...during periods of stress and periods of health/well-being. And I should have explained that as I know many people do not.

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Oh whoops...
    Um like Magic Qwan indicated to me above ... I am not someone that believes we only take on the 'negative' qualities of our stress point and the 'positive' qualities of our point of integration. I believe we do both...during periods of stress and periods of health/well-being. And I should have explained that as I know many people do not.
    I think that forced introversion during my youth has made me into a special case ENFP…

I think that I sometimes try to act like an ISTJ becuase that was the kind of kid my mother wanted. Listening to what she values in offspring, I would match up perfectly if I was ISTJ instead of ENFP.

I guess my persona makes what I really am and what I project blur together…

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    I think that forced introversion during my youth has made me into a special case ENFP…

I think that I sometimes try to act like an ISTJ becuase that was the kind of kid my mother wanted. Listening to what she values in offspring, I would match up perfectly if I was ISTJ instead of ENFP.

I guess my persona makes what I really am and what I project blur together…
    what type is your mother?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison