• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Proverbs and type

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
How do these proverbs and adages connect to types in your mind? As in, what's the archetype that would support a given proverb?

Don't judge a book by its cover.
What you don't know can't hurt you.
Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt
Practice makes perfect.
The clothes make the man.
Measure twice, cut once.
A prophet is not recognized in his own land
Don't count your chickens before they're hatched.

Jaguar

All I know is, I've said "Don't judge a book by its cover" so many times in my life, I've lost count.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i can tell you which ones i like and which ones are totally distant from me. but that's all:

Don't judge a book by its cover.
Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt
Practice makes perfect.
The clothes make the man.
Measure twice, cut once.
A prophet is not recognized in his own land
Don't count your chickens before they're hatched.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How do these proverbs and adages connect to types in your mind? As in, what's the archetype that would support a given proverb?

Don't judge a book by its cover. =- Si
What you don't know can't hurt you. =- Ti
Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt =- Fi
Practice makes perfect. =- Te
The clothes make the man. =- Se
Measure twice, cut once. =- Ne
A prophet is not recognized in his own land =- Ni.
Don't count your chickens before they're hatched. =- Fe

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt =- Fi

see, that doesn't make any sense with what i said before. by your standards, i don't identify with all the functions i should have and instead identify with functions i dont have. i think this theory doesnt work.

.....how is measure twice cut once Ne???

W

WALMART

Most of these are pretty good (particularly Si) - minus Se/Ne, which I can blame the OP or the style of the lesson for, perhaps.

Or maybe I should get over the fact that Jung equates Se to having keen sense of style, and that's pretty much anything anyone is able to latch on to.

I

Infinite Bubble

I thought these. :shrug:

Don't judge a book by its cover. - Fi
What you don't know can't hurt you. - Ne
Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt. - Ti
Practice makes perfect. - Si
The clothes make the man. - Se
Measure twice, cut once. - Te
A prophet is not recognized in his own land. - Ni
Don't count your chickens before they're hatched. - Fe

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
see, that doesn't make any sense with what i said before. by your standards, i don't identify with all the functions i should have and instead identify with functions i dont have. i think this theory doesnt work.

.....how is measure twice cut once Ne???

Process of elimination. It was one of the last functions on my list.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Wait, does this mean that the unknown is nothing to be afraid of, or that there is comfort and safety in ignorance?

Because while the first explanations seems compatible with Ne or Ti, the second, which was my initial reading of it, does not.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wait, does this mean that the unknown is nothing to be afraid of, or that there is comfort and safety in ignorance?

Because while the first explanations seems compatible with Ne or Ti, the second, which was my initial reading of it, does not.
This proverb usually equates to "ignorance is bliss". I associate that with the SP types - live in the moment without regard to consequences - but not with a specific function.

Some of my favorites are:

A stitch in time saves nine.
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
The best defense is a good offense.
Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him to fish, he eats for life.
Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Some I dislike are:

Slow and steady wins the race.
If it's not broken, don't fix it.
You can't have your cake and eat it, too. (How can you eat a cake you don't have??)
Better the devil you know than the one you don't.
Look on the sunny side of life.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This proverb usually equates to "ignorance is bliss". I associate that with the SP types - live in the moment without regard to consequences - but not with a specific function.

Yeah, that's not Ne or Ti. Just because INTPs sometimes close themselves off from the world and reject everything that doesn't conform to whatever theory just means that they are being blinded. They still believe finding the objective truth is important, even if they may not like it. It's just their opinion on what's objective is skewed, and they can't see that they aren't being objective.

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him to fish, he eats for life.
Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

These are all excellent.

Here are some that I hate:

"A positive outlook creates a positive situation." (Fi?)
"Love is the answer." (Fi again?)
"Live life to the fullest." (Se)
"Live each day as though it were your last." (so, I should expect to be torn about by rabid circus clowns like when I dream about my own death every night?) (Se)
"You only live once." (Si)

And one I've generally found to be true, and I attempt to use in my dealing with others:

"You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." That's actually true. Turns out, being nice helps people listen to you. Not always, but usually more than the alternative. (This is pretty Fe, I suppose)

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Don't judge a book by its cover. (I actually tell this to people with regard to myself fairly often, and I sometimes have to remind myself)
What you don't know can't hurt you. (Te doms)
Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt (This sounds E3. I remove all doubt from everyones' minds at all times. LOL)
Practice makes perfect. (Non Se doms trying to be more like Se doms, XD)
The clothes make the man. (This goes along with perception is reality. another bullshit Te/Fi statement statement)
Measure twice, cut once. (applies to anyone other than E3 and E7 haha)
A prophet is not recognized in his own land (I don't even know what that means)
Don't count your chickens before they're hatched. (I often find Te and Fe doms reminding me of this one, probably because they're rather in the moment with their observations)

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater."

In other words, don't dismiss everything associated with something you like dislike solely on the basis of that association.

I love it. Also, it suggests black humor, which is another positive.