• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which Functions Conflict The Most?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You have no idea how satisfying this can be.
This was the dynamic with my INTJ ex lover. It was really interesting, to look at things from different perspectives I wouldn't have imagined; but he did it all the time and just picked my thoughts apart for the fun of it, and it got obnoxious and made my brain hurt. Like Ti wants to synthesize into a nice little structure and Ni wants to destroy the structure and paint a picture with it. And I would do it to him too- he would say something he thought was meaningful and clever and I would be like, 'please explain x, y, and z, because your idea doesn't fit with known laws of reality/linguistic structure' and he'd be like 'that's not the point.'

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Oh believe me, INFJs can do this too.

But it's a natural talent and as [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] said, You have no idea how satisfying it can be.:)

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
But it's a natural talent and as [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] said, You have no idea how satisfying it can be.:)

Don't worry, I find it charming at times. I was just pointing out the fact that, oh god yes INJs love to do this. :laugh:

Jaguar

How do you form theories about the world if you can't speculate?

I tried to get that through my doctor's skull. I explained something to him and he responded with: "That's mere speculation." So? What's wrong with speculation? He's a bean counter. That's why he and I clash. Pure and simple.

I've always been fond of Einstein's comment: "Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted."

INTPs are bullies?

Being sarcastic is my natural state.

Coriolis said:
Functions do not operate in a vacuum. How well people with these pairs of dom functions get along will have much to do with their other functions

Stop making sense. It's annoying.

Last edited:

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
You have no idea how satisfying this can be.

I can imagine. What could be better than to widen someone's perspective from a narrow corridor into an open-ended vortex?

Besides for some there may also be a rush of superiority in this as well, to deconstruct a person's process who presents their thoughts with an idle certainty they have yet to prove or warrant.

I get that a lot when people throw out the word 'should'....even against myself when I do it.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Possibly, but I think it's more of a temporary thing rather than a fundamental incompatibility.

I think INTJs and INTPs can develop a mutual respect, but it takes time. I'm thinking of an INTJ coworker I clashed with at first; we eventually developed that mutual respect, I think. We have somewhat different strengths, but they are both very useful for things that we would probably agree are important.

Not INTP and INTJ, but INTP and ENTJ or ESTJ.

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
I want to agree with what Coriolis said about this being too simplistic, but I do have a strong history of love/hate with Fe-doms. More so than with any other types. And as weird as this may sound, my first depressive episode as a child stemmed from an aversion to what I eventually found out could be summed up as Fe. As I grow older and understand it better, the conflict has minimized, but I still feel more at home with Fi users.

I think I make people with strong Fe uneasy, too, which I genuinely feel bad about. My communication style is unpredictable; one day I'm adapting perfectly well, and other days I come across as indifferent and arrogant. Which I sometimes am :sorry:, but more often it's just that I don't feel like being effusive or chatty.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I want to agree with what Coriolis said about this being too simplistic, but I do have a strong history of love/hate with Fe-doms. More so than with any other types. And as weird as this may sound, my first depressive episode as a child stemmed from an aversion to what I eventually found out could be summed up as Fe. As I grow older and understand it better, the conflict has minimized, but I still feel more at home with Fi users.

I think I make people with strong Fe uneasy, too, which I genuinely feel bad about. My communication style is unpredictable; one day I'm adapting perfectly well, and other days I come across as indifferent and arrogant. Which I sometimes am :sorry:, but more often it's just that I don't feel like being effusive or chatty.

So you agree with Coriolis's claim that my theory is "simplistic," yet your experience agrees with part of it.

Every theory is simplistic. However, that does not disprove or counter any theory. All psychology is simplistic relative to the infinite complexity of the human mind.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ti and Fi conflict the most, possibly out of any possible pairing. agggh.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"But, for our 'scientifically' orientated consciousness, the difference between the two modes of thinking becomes still more obvious when the subjectively orientated thinking makes an attempt to bring objective data into connections not objectively given, i.e., to subordinate them to a subjective idea. Either senses the other as an encroachment, and hence a sort of shadow effect is produced, wherein either type reveals to the other its least favorable aspect. The subjectively orientated thinking then appears quite arbitrary, while the extraverted thinking seems to have an incommensurability that is altogether dull and banal. Thus the two standpoints are incessantly at war."
Psychological Types, 432-3

S

Society

Ne & Ni are odd... on a moment to moment basis they can be the grounds for a great mind meld, but problems arise on the long term basis - or rather, the way they make choices can become a problem once you are part of those choices:

from the Ni perspective (my impression): Ne expands hunting for "information" (or more accurately "inspiration") regardless of the chance of relevance - this is part of why in the mind of an Ne dom a sofa can become a whale's saddle - there is no point at which the Ne's brain goes "this isn't really related to ocean mammals". this can be enjoyable and fun on the casual times but perhaps really wasteful & distracting once there's a real situation for which they require a real resolution.
from the Ne perspective (my experience): in the process of going all over the place, you do end up finding new meaningful perspectives which you wouldn't otherwise. here, the meditative and information-selection process of Ni, coupled with their own sense of resolution - already examining all which they deem relevant - can be excluding of what you find to be critical information.

both of those can be somewhat worked on in the intellectual level:
the Ne dom giving the Ni dom their space to work things through, withholding their need for bouncing ideas.
the Ni dom giving the Ne dom respect towards critical information, withholding their need for complete resolutions.

however, this gains a new level when there's personal involvement:
for me the worst so far has being when my own experience and that of loved one's has being excluded from the information process behind choices that continue to affect everyone involved negatively.
basically - going into an involvement with a box manager has the promising smell of potential - where it might give you access to quite a few treasure chests - but it also comes with the strong possibility that you'll end up being locked in one of them.

Last edited:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can't imagine that being true for me. I gots no issue with se

Oh shit never mind poor se or whatever there haha

Umm ni hmm actually a lil bit

I like infjs a lot but they have a real problem understanding me a lot and seem to jump to all the wrong conclusions and ime are very hard to communicate their actual feelings with so the possibility of a door being slammed in your face without ever knowing why is always there. Unless of course it's your mom.

Edit: oh I forgot the intjs. I have no idea about them.

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
So you agree with Coriolis's claim that my theory is "simplistic," yet your experience agrees with part of it.

No, I said that I wanted to, but couldn't fully agree with it because of my experiences. Now that I've thought about it more, it's obvious that I've had the most problems with Fe.

Every theory is simplistic. However, that does not disprove or counter any theory. All psychology is simplistic relative to the infinite complexity of the human mind.

That's a good point.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Based on the conflict that's occurred here over the years, I'd say Fi and Fe

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I tried to get that through my doctor's skull. I explained something to him and he responded with: "That's mere speculation." So? What's wrong with speculation? He's a bean counter. That's why he and I clash. Pure and simple.

I've always been fond of Einstein's comment: "Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted."

Being sarcastic is my natural state.

Stop making sense. It's annoying.

So maybe you're an INTJ. That just popped into my head.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INTPs should stop bullying people. They're so mean.

Bullies are cool people because they challenge us, make us rise up and become more powerful; it's the ultimate refiner's fire!

ESFJs should stop asking too many questions. It threatens the very foundations of existence!

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Why do you say that?

Because I don't see any other pair get annoyed at each other to the extent Ti and Fi get annoyed at each other. They seem the hardest to reconcile, with mutually opposed goals.

Ti plants ideas in organized rows so that they get the maximum amount of light and grow up as strong as poosible. Fi scatters ideas to the wind like dandelion seeds so that they can be free. Sometimes it's beautiful, but often, it's just confusing.

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't think Ti and Fi conflict. My best friends are usually INTPs.
Ti plants ideas in organized rows so that they get the maximum amount of light and grow up as strong as poosible. Fi scatters ideas to the wind like dandelion seeds so that they can be free. Sometimes it's beautiful, but often, it's just confusing.
-- however, this is very accurate. Confusing and irritating though are two completely different things.

My vote would have to be for Fi + Fe. Fe confuses and annoys me.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, I said that I wanted to, but couldn't fully agree with it because of my experiences. Now that I've thought about it more, it's obvious that I've had the most problems with Fe.
No one can deny the reality of your experiences, but one can not generalize based on a single person. To demonstrate statistically significant correlations between type and repeated conflict, one needs a much larger sampling size reflecting the assortment of types that can have a given dom/aux function.

(There, [MENTION=195]Jaguar[/MENTION]: have I simultaneously annoyed you and made sense again? This could be habit-forming.)