• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ne-Doms: Do Ni-users ever make you feel stupid?

S

Stansmith

I had this archeology class where my professor was INTJ, and whenever I came up with a quick inference or idea based on the information he gave us, he would scoff and say "heh, that's ridiculous. Neeuuuuu." in a really condescending tone. At that point I decided to make it a challenge to woo him, but to no avail, just more condescension :dry: I was easily the student with the most genuine interest in the subject.

Anyone else have similar experience with Ni-users, and why do you hate us?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes.

However, if you remove the stick from their ass by tickling their funny bone, that condescension quickly turns into appreciation to the point of respect and adoration.

It's just a matter of applying that Ne just right and outflank their Ni :wink:

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I admire Ne-doms and have made an effort to have a free spirit with less filters as they do.

I think everyone has had professors who make them feel stupid. I had a few that even made me cry in graduate school. I saw several adults in tears during those years. Academia has problems. [MENTION=18664]Stansmith[/MENTION], is this also an issue with peers for you? I would say that Ne-dom professors would be awesome, but they are more rare perhaps because academia is so stiff, defensive and competitive. Ni-doms would probably tend to do better there - primarily INTJs. I had to leave the environment because it made me physically sick, and then I started hanging out with Ne-dom experimental artist types which restored my sanity. I say this just to provide a counterbalance and let people know that some Ni-doms think Ne is super nice. :)

Edit: I will add that if Ne-doms and Ne-auxs could completely infiltrate academia, it would fix nearly all the problems. Ni, Se, and Si folk in a Ne world would have a better chance at real learning than the other way around. I think Ne is more capable of accommodating everything than the other way around. Although some extremely focused, linear learners might feel confused, but I think it is a healthier adaptation.

S

Stansmith

I admire Ne-doms and have made an effort to have a free spirit with less filters as they do.

I think everyone has had professors who make them feel stupid. I had a few that even made me cry in graduate school. I saw several adults in tears during those years. Academia has problems. [MENTION=18664]Stansmith[/MENTION], is this also an issue with peers for you? I would say that Ne-dom professors would be awesome, but they are more rare perhaps because academia is so stiff, defensive and competitive. Ni-doms would probably tend to do better there - primarily INTJs. I had to leave the environment because it made me physically sick, and then I started hanging out with Ne-dom experimental artist types which restored my sanity. I say this just to provide a counterbalance and let people know that some Ni-doms think Ne is super nice. :)

I actually don't mind Ni-style teachers. He was just really dismissive of my little "aha!" moments, which I found hilarious. He's like a Bond Villain. My ENTJ teachers can have been much more "considerate" of my perspective in comparison.

Ni-professors really know how to squeeze out a 2 hour class to it's last second (and STILL have more to say), while Ne-professors are more to likely just say "welp, I'm done, bye" after an hour and 15 minutes. A Ni lecture can feel very tedious, yet very informative and concise if you're not dosing off at any point. The minute you're off the wagon, you're screwed.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Edit: I will add that if Ne-doms and Ne-auxs could completely infiltrate academia, it would fix nearly all the problems. Ni, Se, and Si folk in a Ne world would have a better chance at real learning than the other way around. I think Ne is more capable of accommodating everything than the other way around. Although some extremely focused, linear learners might feel confused, but I think it is a healthier adaptation.
Not sure what field you studied at university, but in science and engineering, I have found plenty of NTP professors. My advisor was one. They can be the classic "absent-minded professor", forgetting to bring you the reference they promised, showing up late to class, not keeping their office hours, etc. But on the whole, it seems there is nothing they don't know about their field, and they respond well to anyone with genuine interest in learning about it.

@ OP: I think you just ran into a professor who was a jerk, quite independent of type. Plus, you list yourself as INTJ, which makes you an Ni dom yourself.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
socionics would explain this by saying the Ni personalities have Ne ignoring, which basically means, anytime you Ne their eyes glaze over or they get impatient with you. The same applies with Ne users and Ni.

The same thing happens with me and EXTJ's. When I go into Ti mode, they think I'm making excuses or pulling logic out my ass, because they only listen to anything that is strictly objective, while Ti is a subjective function.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I had this archeology class where my professor was INTJ, and whenever I came up with a quick inference or idea based on the information he gave us, he would scoff and say "heh, that's ridiculous. Neeuuuuu." in a really condescending tone. At that point I decided to make it a challenge to woo him, but to no avail, just more condescension :dry: I was easily the student with the most genuine interest in the subject.

I've had the opposite occur. Because Ne doms are so quick and verbal, they actually make me feel stupid.

R

Riva

Everyone is bound to feel a bit uncomfortable around a stereotypical INTJ in their Te moments.

People tend to think out-loud more from their Aux than their Dom though their Dom is their default function. So for INTJs it would be Te which tends to come across as a legendary know it all ass hole whereas for ENTJ it is Ni which come across as a head in cloud idea person with always a plan.

I chose NTJs since it was easier to explain my point that way. Or maybe because NFJs don't make people feel uncomfortable the way sweethearted NTJs do.

Also,

Te+Ni or Fe+Ni could appear Ne ish sometimes though their J is quite apparent. So Ne's might not feel uncomfortable the way an INTJ would make them feel around an ENJ.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People tend to think out-loud more from their Aux than their Dom though their Dom is their default function. So for INTJs it would be Te which tends to come across as a legendary know it all ass hole whereas for ENTJ it is Ni which come across as a head in cloud idea person with always a plan.
I would expect people to think out loud from whatever their highest extraverted function is: Te for either NTJ, Ne for either NTP, etc. That's part of what it means for the function to be extraverted. It is very hard, at least for INTJs, to express Ni ideas directly, and when we do, it can come across as very disjointed "cloud ideas", or even like a conspiracy theory.

I

Infinite Bubble

Maybe another reason why he scoffed is because Ni produces a feeling of certainty in the user, whereas with Ne it is the opposite, them typically being very uncertain about things due to all the perceived possibilities. So he might have thought of it ridiculous because it didn't fit with his Ni perceptions.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
planet earth makes me feel stupid. I mean the actual planet not the show

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've had the opposite occur. Because Ne doms are so quick and verbal, they actually make me feel stupid.

So, I've been on both sides. I tend to not always have complete mastery of every fact, and that's one area where I get tripped up (and pounced upon by NTs in general, on occasion). Also, I may not have researched stuff as broadly, so while I know my particular area of interest, I may be unaware of something adjacent that "everybody knows." That's occasionally mortifying.

On the other hand, I do sometimes evilly have fun when having conversations with my fairly serious, intense, fellow software architect who I think is an INTJ. We'll be discussing something work related, and I can throw in a (almost) witty aside. His humor processing is a little time delayed, so he's usually about half-way through his next sentence before the humor hits, and then he's derailed. If I time it right, I can have the next aside already in progress just as he gets back on track from the previous one. He gets more and more derailed, amused and distracted over time. Funny to reduce such a serious guy at that state.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7

It's not your teacher's Ni that made you feel stupid, it was his Te. I've found that Te users will find facts to support their theories and cling to these facts hook-line and sinker. They assume that their facts reign supreme and no one can challenge them because they are validated by some "expert" in the field. I often wind up making Te users feel stupid because I question the logical basis of their facts. Sadly I don't just believe facts hook-line and sinker.

RoadPaveMent

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My INTJ father talks like that all the time. I used to think it was mean because if I were to say those things, I would be in an angry, condescending mood. But I've learned that he is not actually mad and is simply pointing out things that are wrong. So I've adjusted to his style of speaking and don't take it personally anymore.

(Not to say your INTJ wasn't a jerk...just sharing my experiences.)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Everyone is bound to feel a bit uncomfortable around a stereotypical INTJ in their Te moments.

Yes, that's correct.

R

Riva

Yes, that's correct.

Thanks.

I would expect people to think out loud from whatever their highest extraverted function is: Te for either NTJ, Ne for either NTP, etc. That's part of what it means for the function to be extraverted. It is very hard, at least for INTJs, to express Ni ideas directly, and when we do, it can come across as very disjointed "cloud ideas", or even like a conspiracy theory.

Theories aside Coriolis is what I was going by.

Like I said Te for INTJs and Ni for ENTJs though their natural style of living is the dom.

Ni ideas aren't hard to communicate. ENJs ( from what I have noticed ENTJs mostly) do it quite often.

Nicodemus

It is very hard, at least for INTJs, to express Ni ideas directly [...].
Ni ideas aren't hard to communicate. ENJs ( from what I have noticed ENTJs mostly) do it quite often.
Hm.

In truth, it depends on how fresh the idea is. When fresh, an explanation is preceded by taking a deep breath and a pause. When old, it is obviously easy to express. Since few ideas are ever completely fresh, you usually get a combination of different presentation styles and intelligibility levels.

mooncakes

MBTI Type
Infp
Enneagram
4w5

This thread is really old but 🤭 I’m a ne aux and my math teacher was a ni dom, I’m quite sure intj. Most of his lessons I would space out as they were extremely lengthy and in depth. The thing with ni users is they really like to go on and on about a single thing. I also basically failed the class because I struggled with paying attention. It’s not that his lessons were bad he was a good teacher, he wasn’t lazy ect., but I was just failing and he tried to help me.