User Tag List

12 Last

Stansmith

Default Ne-Doms: Do Ni-users ever make you feel stupid?

I had this archeology class where my professor was INTJ, and whenever I came up with a quick inference or idea based on the information he gave us, he would scoff and say "heh, that's ridiculous. Neeuuuuu." in a really condescending tone. At that point I decided to make it a challenge to woo him, but to no avail, just more condescension I was easily the student with the most genuine interest in the subject.

Anyone else have similar experience with Ni-users, and why do you hate us?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Yes.

However, if you remove the stick from their ass by tickling their funny bone, that condescension quickly turns into appreciation to the point of respect and adoration.

It's just a matter of applying that Ne just right and outflank their Ni
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I admire Ne-doms and have made an effort to have a free spirit with less filters as they do.

I think everyone has had professors who make them feel stupid. I had a few that even made me cry in graduate school. I saw several adults in tears during those years. Academia has problems. @Stansmith, is this also an issue with peers for you? I would say that Ne-dom professors would be awesome, but they are more rare perhaps because academia is so stiff, defensive and competitive. Ni-doms would probably tend to do better there - primarily INTJs. I had to leave the environment because it made me physically sick, and then I started hanging out with Ne-dom experimental artist types which restored my sanity. I say this just to provide a counterbalance and let people know that some Ni-doms think Ne is super nice.

Edit: I will add that if Ne-doms and Ne-auxs could completely infiltrate academia, it would fix nearly all the problems. Ni, Se, and Si folk in a Ne world would have a better chance at real learning than the other way around. I think Ne is more capable of accommodating everything than the other way around. Although some extremely focused, linear learners might feel confused, but I think it is a healthier adaptation.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Stansmith

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    I admire Ne-doms and have made an effort to have a free spirit with less filters as they do.

I think everyone has had professors who make them feel stupid. I had a few that even made me cry in graduate school. I saw several adults in tears during those years. Academia has problems. @Stansmith, is this also an issue with peers for you? I would say that Ne-dom professors would be awesome, but they are more rare perhaps because academia is so stiff, defensive and competitive. Ni-doms would probably tend to do better there - primarily INTJs. I had to leave the environment because it made me physically sick, and then I started hanging out with Ne-dom experimental artist types which restored my sanity. I say this just to provide a counterbalance and let people know that some Ni-doms think Ne is super nice.
    I actually don't mind Ni-style teachers. He was just really dismissive of my little "aha!" moments, which I found hilarious. He's like a Bond Villain. My ENTJ teachers can have been much more "considerate" of my perspective in comparison.

Ni-professors really know how to squeeze out a 2 hour class to it's last second (and STILL have more to say), while Ne-professors are more to likely just say "welp, I'm done, bye" after an hour and 15 minutes. A Ni lecture can feel very tedious, yet very informative and concise if you're not dosing off at any point. The minute you're off the wagon, you're screwed.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    Edit: I will add that if Ne-doms and Ne-auxs could completely infiltrate academia, it would fix nearly all the problems. Ni, Se, and Si folk in a Ne world would have a better chance at real learning than the other way around. I think Ne is more capable of accommodating everything than the other way around. Although some extremely focused, linear learners might feel confused, but I think it is a healthier adaptation.
    Not sure what field you studied at university, but in science and engineering, I have found plenty of NTP professors. My advisor was one. They can be the classic "absent-minded professor", forgetting to bring you the reference they promised, showing up late to class, not keeping their office hours, etc. But on the whole, it seems there is nothing they don't know about their field, and they respond well to anyone with genuine interest in learning about it.

@ OP: I think you just ran into a professor who was a jerk, quite independent of type. Plus, you list yourself as INTJ, which makes you an Ni dom yourself.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

socionics would explain this by saying the Ni personalities have Ne ignoring, which basically means, anytime you Ne their eyes glaze over or they get impatient with you. The same applies with Ne users and Ni.

The same thing happens with me and EXTJ's. When I go into Ti mode, they think I'm making excuses or pulling logic out my ass, because they only listen to anything that is strictly objective, while Ti is a subjective function.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

No, never.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    I had this archeology class where my professor was INTJ, and whenever I came up with a quick inference or idea based on the information he gave us, he would scoff and say "heh, that's ridiculous. Neeuuuuu." in a really condescending tone. At that point I decided to make it a challenge to woo him, but to no avail, just more condescension I was easily the student with the most genuine interest in the subject.

Anyone else have similar experience with Ni-users, and why do you hate us?
    I've had the opposite occur. Because Ne doms are so quick and verbal, they actually make me feel stupid.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Riva

Everyone is bound to feel a bit uncomfortable around a stereotypical INTJ in their Te moments.

People tend to think out-loud more from their Aux than their Dom though their Dom is their default function. So for INTJs it would be Te which tends to come across as a legendary know it all ass hole whereas for ENTJ it is Ni which come across as a head in cloud idea person with always a plan.

I chose NTJs since it was easier to explain my point that way. Or maybe because NFJs don't make people feel uncomfortable the way sweethearted NTJs do.

Also,

Te+Ni or Fe+Ni could appear Ne ish sometimes though their J is quite apparent. So Ne's might not feel uncomfortable the way an INTJ would make them feel around an ENJ.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    People tend to think out-loud more from their Aux than their Dom though their Dom is their default function. So for INTJs it would be Te which tends to come across as a legendary know it all ass hole whereas for ENTJ it is Ni which come across as a head in cloud idea person with always a plan.
    I would expect people to think out loud from whatever their highest extraverted function is: Te for either NTJ, Ne for either NTP, etc. That's part of what it means for the function to be extraverted. It is very hard, at least for INTJs, to express Ni ideas directly, and when we do, it can come across as very disjointed "cloud ideas", or even like a conspiracy theory.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...