• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are the NF and NT Temperaments valid?

S

Stansmith

The MBTI groupings do not make sense because they group types together whose functions don't overlap.
xNFPs value Ne/Si, Te/Fi while xNFJs value Ni/Se, Ti/Fe. Since these types don't share a single function in common, they see things in very different light -- so how does it make sense to group them together?

Types are grouped according to their valued functions in socionics and I think this grouping makes widely more sense. The NF, NT, etc. groupings correspond to research clubs, where NTs are researchers and NFs are humanitarians: http://wikisocion.org/en/index.php?title=Small_groups

I'm somewhere between a Researcher and humanitarian based on those descriptions.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is how I see...

I see ENFJs more like this:

Oprah.Winfrey.2005.Top.Ten.jpg

And ENFPs more like this:

tvw_ellen_degeneres--300x300.jpg

Not all too different :D

Last edited:

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I will admit, NFs do tend to have a certain orientation in social situations that they share. They're not domineering, and tend to have a sort of mediator/counselor type vibe. The healthy NF is basically the uncle you can tell your problems to and get consolation without judgement.

However, whenever I hear an ENTP or an INTP speak, I immediately get where they're coming from. With INFJ and ENFJs on the other hand, I see the complete opposite of me. They're always so nice, considerate, emotionally open, and passionate about social issues in ways that I don't really understand. How I Met Your Mother for instance; I don't get the protagonist Ted (INFJ), but I get Barney (ENTP). I probably relate to ESFPs and ISFPs better than I do NFJs, personally.

Seems like you'd relate most to TJs right, you talk about the NFJs being more accommodating and socially conscious. NTPs are still pretty different from INTJs though, the INTJ's perceptual intake and what they consider is much more selective(Ni) and they are much less open about things they see as unnecessary or inefficient(Te).

INTPs and ENTPs have a more all at once, holistic approach to things(Ne), they are more indiscriminate about perception and tend to consider more information sources and perspectives. NTPs tend to communicate their ideas a lot better and seem more personable(Ne). They also prioritize more preciseness in the meaning and interpretation of ideas(Ti) and expressing them in a layman's terms(TiNe) while INTJs are comfortable with ambiguity of meaning and masking their standpoint(Ni), Ni creates a very secretive, almost paranoid guarding of personal information.

What you said about relating to SFPs better than NFJs seems to point to you maybe not relating much to Fe and what it prioritizes, do you relate to the Fi in the SFPs. I have a kind of disconnect with STPs for example, we are somewhat very similar in our overall outlook in life(Ti+Pe) but they seem more in tune with the environment and immediately responsive(Se) whereas I'm more head in the clouds and imaginative(Ne).

S

Stansmith

Seems like you'd relate most to TJs right, you talk about the NFJs being more accommodating and socially conscious. NTPs are still pretty different from INTJs though, the INTJ's perceptual intake and what they consider is much more selective(Ni) and they are much less open about things they see as unnecessary or inefficient(Te).

INTPs and ENTPs have a more all at once, holistic approach to things(Ne), they are more indiscriminate about perception and tend to consider more information sources and perspectives. NTPs tend to communicate their ideas a lot better and seem more personable(Ne). They also prioritize more preciseness in the meaning and interpretation of ideas(Ti) and expressing them in a layman's terms(TiNe) while INTJs are comfortable with ambiguity of meaning and masking their standpoint(Ni), Ni creates a very secretive, almost paranoid guarding of personal information.

What you said about relating to SFPs better than NFJs seems to point to you maybe not relating much to Fe and what it prioritizes, do you relate to the Fi in the SFPs. I have a kind of disconnect with STPs for example, we are somewhat very similar in our overall outlook in life(Ti+Pe) but they seem more in tune with the environment and immediately responsive(Se) whereas I'm more head in the clouds and imaginative(Ne).

I'm ENFP

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I groupthem into IP, EJ, IJ and EP. Basically, whether they lead with Ji, Je, Pi or Pe. These groupings tend to show similar patterns in terms of tertiary temptation, inferior back lash and so on.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
SPs live in the moment and soak in life as it is (Se), while SJs are traditional, dutiful and prefer routine (Si). Now NFs and NTs; is it basically NF= Nice, NT = Logical?

But why is that so clear cut at one end and very mutable at the other? Seems more than a little biased. If we never look beyond the surface how can we ascertain that what the surface shows is ALL to see?