User Tag List

First 123

Thread: Best comedians

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    I also think there are a number of STP comedians - the ones that focus on visceral and crude humor.
    Jerry Seinfeld is undoubtedly the most STP comic ever to stand up. Compared to Bill Hicks - the man who told sections of his audience to go kill themselves, definitely an intuitor of some variant.

I don't think you have a very good grasp of extraverted sensation, but then again, most don't.

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    Jerry Seinfeld is undoubtedly the most STP comic ever to stand up. Compared to Bill Hicks - the man who told sections of his audience to go kill themselves, definitely an intuitor of some variant.

I don't think you have a very good grasp of extraverted sensation, but then again, most don't.
    Yes, it is interesting, because Seinfeld clearly is clearly a Ti-Se user (or some kind of sensor/thinker), the way he observes his sensory surroundings and deconstructs them, but he isn't visceral at all. He's extremely clean.

Meanwhile, someone super 'N' like Bill Hicks, as you mention, used a lot of violent imagery. Louis CK, clearly an intuitor as well (whether he's N-dom or not, I won't get into) makes a lot of disgusting jokes. I think he has a bit where he beats a man to death with a tire iron and jacks off on his corpse, because the man's bumper sticker said: tell your girlfriend I said 'thanks'.

While I don't think this is a rule, I suspect people who suppress their sensing functions, tend to express it in grotesque and unusual ways, since it's underdeveloped.

Edit: As for type and comedy, I find the enneagram helpful for identifying comedians too. I suspect most comedians are typed somewhere within the head triad. They're usually 6's too. All that 6 neurosis is comedy gold. Eddie Murphy is a good example of a 7 comedian, and I would say Demetri Martin is a good example of a 5...but most of the heavyweights are 6's.

I agree though, ENTP's are a great type for stand-up. Much of comedy is about examining familiar things in unfamiliar ways, making absurd connections, and rapid fire verbalization.

Stansmith

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    Yes, it is interesting, because Seinfeld clearly is clearly a Ti-Se user (or some kind of sensor/thinker), the way he observes his sensory surroundings and deconstructs them, but he isn't visceral at all. He's extremely clean.

Meanwhile, someone super 'N' like Bill Hicks, as you mention, used a lot of violent imagery. Louis CK, clearly an intuitor as well (whether he's N-dom or not, I won't get into) makes a lot of disgusting jokes. I think he has a bit where he beats a man to death with a tire iron and jacks off on his corpse, because the man's bumper sticker said: tell your girlfriend I said 'thanks'.

While I don't think this is a rule, I suspect people who suppress their sensing functions, tend to express it in grotesque and unusual ways, since it's underdeveloped.
    I usually associate really off-beat humor with Ti-doms. ISTPs can have a creepy sense of humor too.

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    I usually associate really off-beat humor with Ti-doms. ISTPs can have a creepy sense of humor too.
    I didn't say anything about N's having a monopoly on off-beat or creepy humour.

I think Zack Galifinakis is an ISFP, and he certainly is off-beat.

I was simply speculating as to why some N comedians might use more visceral/grotesque imagery in their stand-up.

Anyway I don't disagree with you, I just don't see how you're replying to me.