User Tag List

123 Last

Default How much do you identify with others of your type?

This thread was prompted by statements like "I don't really identify very much with the other XXXXs I see on this forum" that I see every now and then on typology forums.

---
    By and large, do you identify on a personal level with others of your type?

If so, how much? What's it like sharing a type with someone you identify with? What triggers the feeling of identifying with that person? Do you feel a sense of kinship or is it just something you take note of in passing or not much more? Do you tend to accept people as your own type based on whether or not you identify with their behavior and style of self-expression, or is there something else at play?

If not, how do you tend to react to people who share your type but you don't identify with? Do you tend to question the validity of their self-typing or your own? If you do think you're both correctly typed, how do you reconcile the differences? Do you miss the feeling of being able to identify with others of your type or does it not bug you that much?

For people who don't identify with any single type, what is it like seeing others cluster into their own little type communities?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

I think I'm virtually interchangeable with the other (actual) ENTJs on the forum. Especially the women.

*pours one out for @YWIR*
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    I think I'm virtually interchangeable with the other (actual) ENTJs on the forum. Especially the women.

*pours one out for @YWIR*
    Don't believe that poseur's smoke and mirrors act. She repped me earlier today. Twice.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I was looking at the similar minds tests and find that it's a good indicator of who I connect with -- basically those with the RCUxI setting with a focus on Inquisitive (as opposed to other indicators in the type). That kind of equals the INxP with an N focus in the MBTI.

yes, kinship usually comes from noting shared levels of "openness" with a rational/fair underpinning.
    If there are shared interests, that helps to pad things out a bit.

But I usually don't feel much like I fit in anywhere.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I don't doubt other people's type claims. I'm highly interested in all ENFPs, and I definitely feel a kinship to them. But I identify more with my enneagram siblings out there, it seems to be more relevant to my daily struggles right now than MBTI.

There are things that are said about type A or type B derived from a person's experience that I can relate to, but it mostly ends there. Whether I identify with someone or some group seems to be type (enneagram or mbti) independent. I have difficulty relating to begin with. And yes, at times I do think I'm mistyped or they're mistyped. -> That's the fun part.

What about you? What's your experience?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Usually a lot, assuming they are actually properly typed. Most people aren't though, in my opinion.

I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I identify with... no one... in the world... except possibly taylor kitsch or charlie sheen.

Glycerine

I mostly relate to people with 3 and/or 5 fixes. I can't distinctly think of anyone I completely resonate with... other than the vague essence of being XNFJ. I would say it is more of a function of a difference in lifestyle and background. I just figure type is a toolbox and everyone is going to use it slightly differently.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

As a matter of fact, in the military, a bunch of guys made a video of me making fun of me posing me as charlie sheen from his interviews. so... yeah. I'll go with a very broke, sober charlie sheen.