• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fe a tragic function.

G

garbage

Fe is just a tool which I can choose to engage or disengage.
This.
I have my own thoughts/values outside of my dominant Fe so it's not like my whole identity revolves around the social aspect/people.
This.
In fact, people drain me when I feel compelled to constantly factor in their input. Half of me really does care about the social protocol/making people feel good, comfortable, understood but the other half really doesn't give a shit.
This.

G

Glycerine

[MENTION=15392]AffirmitiveAnxiety[/MENTION]: Well bologna and I are both 3w4 ENFJs so who knows how that truly affects it. From what I have noticed from my limited sample of EXFJs IRL. ESFJs seem to hold dear the traditions of cultural values (of their own choosing) while the ENFJs seem like "politically correct" liberals. However, once you cut through the socially acceptable facade, EXFJs don't really seem to care what society thinks and just want to live with their own values (unless they have their head up their ass and need to steer others in the "right direction").

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
It sounds like E6 catastrophic thinking.

Is there an impending disaster associated with my assessment of Fe? Of course I understand if you meant the word in the sense of destructive and unnecessarily negative.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
It could be that the word "tragic" came on a little strong.

Well I suppose we come into the world as a blank template, but Jung's point is that there is something inherent in us so if Fe is inherent it seems a shame as I see it as the worst function to lead with.

It is essentially the suppression of critical thought and suppressing critical thought has lead to some of the worst crimes in our history; especially when it comes to being complacent. But being born or at least developing it as a lead is such a tragedy, for the person has no choice and can only be made so aware of their shortcomings, much in the same way as an incredibly stupid person doesn't realise they are stupid, so too does an Fe dom not realise their own foibles.

Of course this could be projection of my own experiences as an Fe possessor, but this fits in with many of the definitions I have read on Fe as well.

Ultraviolence

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
So then is the issue S with Fe?

No, from what I gather, the issue seems to be E6 Dependency coupled with leading Fe.

Well I suppose we come into the world as a blank template, but Jung's point is that there is something inherent in us so if Fe is inherent it seems a shame as I see it as the worst function to lead with.

It is essentially the suppression of critical thought and suppressing critical thought has lead to some of the worst crimes in our history; especially when it comes to being complacent. But being born or at least developing it as a lead is such a tragedy, for the person has no choice and can only be made so aware of their shortcomings, much in the same way as an incredibly stupid person doesn't realise they are stupid, so too does an Fe dom not realise their own foibles.

Of course this could be projection of my own experiences as an Fe possessor, but this fits in with many of the definitions I have read on Fe as well.

Boo-fucking-hoo. What is your point? None of us have a choice in which function becomes our dominant. We all are subject to the shortcomings brought on by our inferior. What makes inferior Ti the worst? Even if you could provide a well thought-out answer to that question, it would lack any objectivity. From one perspective, inferior Ti could be seen as the worst, while from another, inferior Ni could be seen as the worst.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Boo-fucking-hoo. What is your point? None of us have a choice in which function becomes our dominant. We all are subject to the shortcomings brought on by our inferior. What makes inferior Ti the worst? Even if you could provide a well thought-out answer to that question, it would lack any objectivity. From one perspective, inferior Ti could be seen as the worst, while from another, inferior Ni could be seen as the worst.

This entire theory lacks objectivity, I am merely playing by it's rules which are based around attempting to convince people of one angle or another.

The only actual evidence for it is in heurestics, so essentially anyone can take it in any direction and claim it has truth value.

That is my point and it is one which exposes typology.

Ultraviolence

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
This entire theory lacks objectivity, I am merely playing by it's rules which are based around attempting to convince people of one angle or another.

The only actual evidence for it is in heurestics, so essentially anyone can take it in any direction and claim it has truth value.

That is my point and it is one which exposes typology.

Agreed. However, some of the points you lament about can be easily applied to everyone.

Again, how is this exclusive to Fe doms? All extraverts are susceptible to the shortcomings of their inferior and run the risk of lacking the awareness of its influence. Introverts as well, however they would likely be more aware of the inferior simply because of their introversion.

You also mention the suppression of critical thought but I counter by saying that all types suppress something, again, why is the suppression of critical thought worse than say, the suppression of physical sensation?

Earlier in the thread, you say that the Fe dom is doomed to "never garner any deeper comprehension of their own being". Here is a problem that again is not exclusive to an Fe dom. Carl Jung himself said that all extraverts basically are at danger of this happening to them, particularly if the extravert overindulges in the outer world without taking the time to introvert. I concede however that perhaps an Fe dom would be more likely to fall victim to this issue.

Honestly, I still think your feelings toward Fe as a function is more of a projection which is exacerbated by E6 dependency for that seems to be the core issue underlying your premise.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
You also mention the suppression of critical thought but I counter by saying that all types suppress something, again, why is the suppression of critical thought worse than say, the suppression of physical sensation?

It's personal I suppose, but while one can become aware of their body with practice, I think that any angle concerning the mental realm takes more effort.

Plus physical sensations only inform of what is happening to our bodies, critical thought holds an entirely more useful metaphysical area of consideration. It helps pick apart the foibles of our species and character, pointing out pitfalls and flaws within reasoning and current systems.

A physical sensation isn't, for example, going to tell us that we have an over dependency on fossil fuels, or that many social structures are still relying upon an archaic hierarchy from our monkey days, excluding difference in favour of group affirmation.

A critical thought is the corner stone of what makes us the creatures we are, what defines a human and helps to advance us. The sensations are merely biology although they do serve an important function on an individual level of well being.