User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Why We Disagree On Type Calls

5w4 sx/sp
    LII Ni

Whichever function one uses to judge a person's type according to external standards, the Judger sees only motives, which is Ego. The dominant function supports the Ego. The reason we act on the Ego is for the Ego's own satisfaction. Judger's are motivated by their own Egos more than Perceivers.

It never ceases to irritate me when a Judger claims that I acted according to such and such motive. And whenever you find someone habitually starting sentences with "That's because you...", you can be assured this person is a Judger, whether Ji or Je doesn't matter.

"Of course you did, you wanted to win." "Of course you think that way, you're a racist."

Imputing motives to others is very easy and is often correct; not always. But I've never met a Judger who didn't think they were always correct about it. Of course, they think they're really smart.

We Perceivers obviously think we're above all that Ego motivation. But that's because we're Perceivers.
    "I absorb energy like a sponge everywhere I go. It allows me to see the world and my purpose in it." Zak Bagans, Ghost Adventures (INFJ)

4 sx

I think we often disagree on type for two main reasons - because typing is difficult and because good information is surprisingly difficult to find (while bad information and bad reference points are all over the place *cough*

The reason why it's difficult is because we all project our mental processes onto other people and we all over-value our own experience. Everyone does and anyone who doesn't realize this will never be good at typing. It's a mental hall of mirrors and in order to get good at it we need to start with good information and good teachers and we need to seek criticism and be corrected repeatedly. We're all full of cognitive biases and it takes a lot of work to become aware of them and to calibrate accordingly.

The best profiler I know is also the most cautious, which I don't think is a coincidence. He carefully considers all possibilities and accounts well for his own biases.

The easiest trap to fall into is thinking that we have it all figured out. I speak sometimes as though my opinion about a person's type is fact. At a deeper level though, I make it a policy to never believe anything I think more than 99%. On several occasions I've felt confident enough in a person's type to post it publicly and then realized that I was missing something and that I had mistyped them. I think the only way to get good at it is to constantly look for how you might be wrong and to be willing to be open to accept it when you are.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Array Cellmold's Avatar

It's an interesting idea. But it would be far simpler to acknowledge that people disagree on type calls because this theory is empirically unsubstantiated and therefore people must rely on methods of convincing one another instead.

Which means there will always be disagreement.
    "An upsidedown wire heart
    Being sucked into a periscope
    Still the mind is dull
    Like you need another excuse"

… a theory is primarily a form of insight, i.e. a way of looking
    at the world, and not a form of knowledge of how the world is….
    .. all our different ways of thinking are to be considered as
    different ways of looking at the one reality, each with some
    domain in which it is clear and adequate….
    - David Bohm