User Tag List

First 81617181920 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFp None

I usually apologize, but it's often later and only if I feel I'm in the wrong.

I won't apologize if I feel I was justified, or if my apology for something I specifically did wrong will indicate a general acceptance of related things.
    Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness." ― Kurt Vonnegut

ENFP. 7w6 – 4w3 – 1w9 sx/so. Aries. Dilettante. Overly anxious optimist.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    This is extremely well-written, and probably the best answer to my question I could expect. I still cannot fathom it, though. It makes sense in theory, but seems always to fall flat in practice. When people express sympathy to me (at least I think that is what they are trying to do), I do not feel understood or my values acknowledged. I do not want my pain and misfortune to be the focus of our interaction. I either find the expression completely empty, or feel the person is trying to project or impose their values and their interpretation of the situation onto me, which at that point just adds insult to injury. I do not want to connect with such a person, or have them share my awareness in any way. I just want them to leave me alone to address my issues rather than bemoan them. If someone feels for me in a time of difficulty, and wishes to sacrifice cognitive space on my behalf (a great expression) I prefer they devote it to something more positive. (Needless to say, it is very hard for me to express sympathy to others, however much I understand their need and want to help.)
    Strangely I feel the same way. I never reveal feelings to anyone, except for the closest people, and even so I still keep my deepest, darkest problems and fears to myself. I hate feeling vulnerable, and people 'sympathizing' with me seems intrusive. I've always thought it was a E5 trait.

However, being Fe, I understand where people are coming from and I don't feel that their expression if sympathy is in any way fake or forced. While I don't appreciate the sympathy itself, I appreciate the thought behind it and feel grateful for the fact that people care. I believe that people really do care. Just like how I can empathize with other people's pain, I believe that others really feel for me when something bad happens, no matter how they choose to express it.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

What do you think sympathy usually contains? Intent is no substitute for substance. To me, it usually comes across as just empty pro-forma words that have no real consequence.
    I am connected to a number of people with really difficult lives, and also work in places like a cancer center during the year, so there are many situations that trigger sympathy. The basic premise of sympathy is to give time and attention to someone in need and to give over control of the dynamic to them. This often involves listening, but can be anything that they need. Attentive listening is important because sometimes people communicate their needs with subtlety. It can also involve asking directly what the person would like from you. I tend to avoid words like "need" or "help" because many people feel uncomfortable when vulnerable.

I've learned to be more open about my own struggles because for many people, it is disarming. I don't usually do this in the context of offering specific sympathy, but more as part of a neutral exchange. It is also for my own personal development because it helps me overcome any fears about being vulnerable. I'm more comfortable now with people judging or criticizing me than when I was younger. I find it is worth being as authentic and transparent as possible because it makes me more relatable, disarming, and it allows others to determine how much I could understand them in a context outside of when they are expressing their own personal pain.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    yupp

assuming internal state =/= not apologizing it's actually quite the opposite
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    assuming internal state =/= not apologizing it's actually quite the opposite
    That would be absolutely right. I also think that people apologize through different internal processes, so it might not make sense to say which function apologizes the most or the least, but rather what is the process of apology and remorse.

There are also different ways to assume internal states of another:

One is to assume a singular state - to have one conclusion about another person's internal state vs. assuming a range of possibilities.
    One can also assume the emotional state of a person which is different from assuming their motives. For example, we can assume someone feels embarrassed and/or assume exactly why they feel embarrassed.

I suspect apology can be triggered by any of these processes. It could be interesting to really examine it.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    That would be absolutely right. I also think that people apologize through different internal processes, so it might not make sense to say which function apologizes the most or the least, but rather what is the process of apology and remorse.

There are also different ways to assume internal states of another:

One is to assume a singular state - to have one conclusion about another person's internal state vs. assuming a range of possibilities.
    Another is to assume the emotional state of a person in reaction to ourselves. This is different from assuming their motives. For example, we can assume someone feels embarrassed and/or assume exactly why they feel embarrassed.

I suspect apology can be triggered by any of these processes. It could be interesting to really examine it.
    they should do a study, I think that be really cool
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    She loves it when I clench my teeth, get aggressive at her and start making rape jokes. She starts laughing hysterically and her body actually recoils with energy. I haven't seen someone react like that before, haha.
    Marm is right. You seem unstable and potentially dangerous. Get help before you wind up really hurting someone / yourself.

Also, since you fail at body language/common sense reading of situations, "recoiling" is associated with horror more than pleasure. I find you utterly disgusting and would certainly recoil from you. Some women laugh hysterically when they are nervous or afraid. It's not a compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Human understanding. Compassion. Acknowledgement of pain and misfortune. Acknowledgement of another's values. Acknowledgement of importance in another's life. The creation of a bridge between one's sense of self and another's. The welcoming of other-awareness into one's mind.
    When people express sympathy to me (at least I think that is what they are trying to do), I do not feel understood or my values acknowledged. I do not want my pain and misfortune to be the focus of our interaction. I either find the expression completely empty, or feel the person is trying to project or impose their values and their interpretation of the situation onto me, which at that point just adds insult to injury. I do not want to connect with such a person, or have them share my awareness in any way. I just want them to leave me alone to address my issues rather than bemoan them.
    Yes. It's kind of ironic that the sympathy expressed by F types frequently has the opposite effect from the one intended (at least to Ts). Their assumption of understanding your state of mind is frequently an imposition and a trial. Certainly not a comfort. Only someone who truly understands and is genuinely close to you can begin to sympathise. To assume you can is just presumptuousness. Understanding this makes me less inclined to express sympathy in the ways made banal by tradition - I don't presume to understand what other people are suffering, even if it's something I have firsthand experience of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Well there was more to it than that. First I glared at her for 3 whole seconds. Then I looked at the plate. Then I cursed and said, "Because I"m such a nice fucking guy." and left.

I feel like, if anyone has a pair of eyes and a brain they'd know what just happened.

Also, its not that I'm being shoved into the "nice guy" corner, its that her respect for me completely dropped. I felt disrespected. Perhaps this means the same thing. I'd rather be viewed as her equal and not her servant. Considering we've been joking with each other for the last 4 months, this came completely out of nowhere.

So is she really that oblivious to me? I find it very difficult, especially for a feeler, to be that oblivious to when they hurt someone's feelings. ESPECIALLY when my feelings are hurt. I have to hide my negative feelings from everyone at all times, because I can singlehandedly lower the emotions of an entire room. I am cursed with having my hand on the emotional volume dial at all times in almost all situations.
    i'm sorry but what a two year old lil baby tantrum.

you should've just looked at her dryly and said no....or hey...throw the fucking thing away because who the fuck cares!

no really...i think the whole thing sounds ridiculous but lexicon has made some great points.

she probably decided it was alright to ask you because she wouldn't mind you asking her. that's kinda how fi works.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Marm is right. You seem unstable and potentially dangerous. Get help before you wind up really hurting someone / yourself.

Also, since you fail at body language/common sense reading of situations, "recoiling" is associated with horror more than pleasure. I find you utterly disgusting and would certainly recoil from you. Some women laugh hysterically when they are nervous or afraid. It's not a compliment.
    I guess that's why she keeps coming back and prodding me to make more jokes.

I also don't appreciate you rewriting the situation and telling me I'm "utterly disgusting." There are people who enjoy crude intensity moreso than you do, apparently. This doesn't mean you should condescend others because of what YOU deem to be gross.

Also marm is an E6. Every Fi valuing E6 thinks I'm unstable and dangerous despite the fact that I've never gone to prison or charged with any offenses other than 4 minor traffic violations. These are shallow words from shallow people.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Every Fi valuing E6 thinks I'm unstable and dangerous despite the fact that I've never gone to prison or charged with any offenses other than 4 minor traffic violations. These are shallow words from shallow people.
    >implying that unstable and dangerous people always go to prison and get charged with offenses

7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so