User Tag List

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Type and self-honesty

By self-honest, I mean being able to accurately assess your own strengths and your shortcomings. Also being in touch with what you truly prefer and value, not what you should prefer. Is there a tendency for some types to be more self-honest than others going by this definition? Or is more an indication of psychological health and not really type related.

I think it's mostly a measure of one's psychological health and ability to introspect. I think that INxx types might have a slight advantage here because of the I and N in combination allows for introspection and to see patterns in one's behavior. The part about being in touch with what you truly prefer suggests healthy Fi use. Fi dominants may have a slight advantage in that regard, with emphasis on the slight.

Like I said, I think there may be a very slight correlation between self-honesty and type. Mostly it's about psychological health. There are ESTJs who are very in touch with themselves and INFPs who aren't so in touch.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    yupp

the older i've gotten the harder it is for me to introspect, i dunno maybe i'm just getting older but i thought you got better at it when you aged. like fine cheese.

I think for me at least anyways it has to do with psychological health
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I think you have a point about IN types and Fi. In general as you pointed out any individual can be well developed in the area of true self-honesty, but some probably do have an advantage.

However it's fascinating how often what an individual perceives about themselves differs so much from how others perceive them. I tend to find it shifts a lot as the person changes throughout their life.

For example I would LIKE to think I am honest about myself, but I would suspect that the truth is that I am quite unaware of many of my own faults and foibles. To be able to accept the faults others might notice is a hard step to take, but maybe one of the first when it comes to actually attempting to be honest with yourself.

But of all the people in your life, you are the most easily deceived by your own mind.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    the older i've gotten the harder it is for me to introspect, i dunno maybe i'm just getting older but i thought you got better at it when you aged. like fine cheese.

I think for me at least anyways it has to do with psychological health
    I'd argue that it's a good thing in what you're describing. There's a natural predisposition to introspect, be self-absorbed, and bla bla in INXX types, maybe IXXX in general too? Too much introspection only leads to self-consciousness and too much watching oneself. It's not natural. Being able to get out of yourself can give the benefit of extra perspective and allows one to just "be," a difficulty many INXX types suffer from I bet.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFp None

Fi is the key.

I can be very introspective, but it's a marked shift. I often react to things without understanding my reasons, or figuring out my feelings as I discuss them. Thinking out loud in the extreme. I can often feel the switch from Ne to Fi.
    Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness." ― Kurt Vonnegut

ENFP. 7w6 – 4w3 – 1w9 sx/so. Aries. Dilettante. Overly anxious optimist.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I think I'm good at identifying my strengths and weaknesses, but one of my weaknesses is that I have a very hard time making decisions for myself, and trusting that I know how to make good decisions for myself. I have a very strong superego. So... for me it's sort of a split. I feel like my Fi is of good strength but I'm much better at using it to help others than myself.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I wouldn't say that it's particularly Fi related... any function could be the assessor within it's own sphere... for instance, is Fi as good at assessing PHYSICAL capabilities?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

When Fi falls short in terms of self-awareness, I think it tends to be aware of the personal issues, but projects these outwards onto others.

When Fe falls short in self-awareness, it tends to internalize external problems as their own by not creating a clear boundary between the problems of self and others.

What do you think?
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I think you have a point about IN types and Fi. In general as you pointed out any individual can be well developed in the area of true self-honesty, but some probably do have an advantage.

However it's fascinating how often what an individual perceives about themselves differs so much from how others perceive them. I tend to find it shifts a lot as the person changes throughout their life.
    I can see the advantage of being IN, but as someone who is an IN type, I can say that it is just as hard for us to see into our blind spots as it is for other types. These blind spots may just be different, and perhaps also the most effective methods for revealing them.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...