• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do people change which functions they prefer due to life events?

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I myself have noticed that certain life events (unfortunately ones that are stressful) can cause certain people with MBTI types to effectively change types.

For instance, I have an INFJ friend who has lived a very stressed life and whose life events have caused him to all but lose faith in humanity. In order to cope with this horrible outlook on life, he has adopted a more ISTP/INFP way of looking at things, getting in touch with his 'inferior' and 'shadow' functions.

Has anyone else noticed that people can be born with certain type preferences, but be forced to change them to cope with their experiences?

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
Yes, of course people adapt themselves to their surroundings and experiences but that doesn't change their innate preferences.