• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI Qualification Programs

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I'm thinking of doing MBTI-focused workshops on team development and personal effectiveness for software, engineering, and other technical teams.

Qualification allows one to administer and interpret the MBTI. There are numerous organizations offering MBTI qualification courses, which are generally 2-4 days and $1200. (I see there's one in San Francisco, which would allow me a post-workshop trip to Yosemite. :D)

Since I have a BA in psychology, another option (for anyone with a bachelor's), is to take a class in psychological tests and measurements. This would be cheaper, but require more time, and it probably wouldn't be as fun as getting to meet and socialize with a bunch of people interested in the MBTI. [note breakaway from INTP stereotype]

Does anyone have any feedback, experiences, or thoughts on MBTI qualifying programs or anything related to this?

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I'm actually president of APTi (Association for Psychological Type International) and a trainer for the CAPT program (Center for Applications of Psychological Type: MBTI and Archetype Training, Books, Research, Support Materials for Myers-Briggs Professionals and Users - Capt.org Home Page), good friends with the trainers of just about all the other organizations (OKA (Otto Kroeger Associates) Myers-Briggs (MBTI) Qualification Training, Teambuilding, and Leadership Training, 16types.com, Type Resources, etc). I highly recommend the 4-day ones because the extra interaction solidifies more awareness of what each type is like. Other than that, all of the programs are great--and are required to give the same final qualification test, so the requirements are very similar.

The classes give you hands-on experiences in helping others figure out their best-fit types, keeping those you counsel from feeling labeled. They also provide lots of hands on exercises you can use with clients and teams, and information on resources that allow you to delve more deeply into applications. And, they're a blast. I teach all kinds of seminars and the MBTI qualifying programs result in a community forming that all participants, all 16 types, really enjoy. Not mushy kum-ba-ya kind of stuff but true appreciation of normal differences.

The problem with only taking a tests and measurements class is that the MBTI isn't based on the Bell curve and almost all other instruments are, leading to misinterpretations by people who haven't taken the specific training. That's where the biggest abuses of type come from--things like, "You can't be a psychologist--you're an ESTj and too insensitive" and other stereotyping!

So do attend--choose one in a town near you or one you'd like to visit and enjoy the opportunity to go steep and deep in one of the most useful frameworks out there.

edcoaching
INFJ

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Thanks, I appreciate the information and advice edcoaching! It's very informative and helpful.

Edit: And, excellent point about the MBTI vs. Bell curve instruments.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
You're welcome (the next one I'm teaching is in Minneapolis in September, a beautiful time to come to Minnesota;))

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Thanks, I'll keep that session in mind then. I'll be sure to avoid any Jan-Feb sessions there though. :)