123 Last

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Question Fe and motivation?

Does extroverted feeling provide with a sense of motivation? I often find that intellectually knowing I need to do something isn't enough. I do not act until I receive some kind of emotional push, and find some kind of attracting/repelling charge towards a particular situation. Could my difficulty with motivation is connected to my inferior Fe?

Or is motivation something entirely different that has nothing to do with extroverted (or introverted, maybe) feeling?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

I don't think Fe provides more of a sense of motivation than any other function. But I'm pretty sure the Je functions help you take action in the external world.
    I really like cats and food.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

I think it's a J/P thing. I think us Js derive a lot more of a sense of satisfaction from completing things, answering questions, and bringing things to a resolution in general than Ps.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Aleda View Post
    I don't think Fe provides more of a sense of motivation than any other function. But I'm pretty sure the Je functions help you take action in the external world.
    God damnit, I wanted a theory of laziness.

It's just interesting to me that I seem to be better motivated when I have to meet the expectations of others, or when I'm really dissatisfied with something.

You know what, I think that's just being a human. Of course people will try to find ways to avoid doing things they hate.

Although I used to believe it was important to "train myself" not to hate something. Yeah, that worked out well.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I've read stuff about studies that seem to indicate people have a limited amount of self-discipline and spending it on one thing or having stressors reduces what we have to use for other things. So it would seem that being aware of that and making priorities would be one of the better ways to improve one's motivation. I haven't really spent a lot of time on it at this point myself, though. But I do notice I function better when I'm well-rested and not suffering other physical discomforts.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    It's just interesting to me that I seem to be better motivated when I have to meet the expectations of others, or when I'm really dissatisfied with something.
    This means that you ultimately care about others; otherwise, Fe is about keeping the peace at one's own expense. Motivation can preoccupy attention from one's affective nuances and bring about decisive action for the greater concern.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

It's just frustrating. I feel like I have no control over what moves me to act. If I hate a istuation I'm in, I have to get fed up with it enough that I can't take it anymore. I can't act when the situation is merely irritating, and not infuriating.

I've read about some of those studies, too. I think they also connected it to glucose, if I remember correctly. To be certain, taking care of your immediate physical needs takes precedence.

For me, motivation seems more like a domino effect. The hardest part is pushing that first domino over. After that, the rest of it becomes easier. The problem is that the first domino is so hard to reach. In other words, if I"m motivated to do one thing, I'm motivated to do other things.

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

^^

That's just your 6 wing talking
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    It's just frustrating. I feel like I have no control over what moves me to act. If I hate a istuation I'm in, I have to get fed up with it enough that I can't take it anymore. I can't act when the situation is merely irritating, and not infuriating.

I've read about some of those studies, too. I think they also connected it to glucose, if I remember correctly. To be certain, taking care of your immediate physical needs takes precedence.

For me, motivation seems more like a domino effect. The hardest part is pushing that first domino over. After that, the rest of it becomes easier. The problem is that the first domino is so hard to reach. In other words, if I"m motivated to do one thing, I'm motivated to do other things.
    The (technically) interesting thing about motivation itself is that it cannot be thwarted; it would be subdued before regaining momentum. You sound like you're uninspired, and that any predominant motivation (e.g. other people, pressure, etc.) would propel you to accelerate - or 'push the first domino' - in which subsequent actions would be yielded as mere byproducts.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

F tells what something is worth. i could see that F judgment having a lot to do with motivation to actually do something; feeling that its worth doing. or on the other side not placing F judgment on something would come off as not being sure whether a thing is worth doing or not, which i think is pretty common for INTPs
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read