• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fe and motivation?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Does extroverted feeling provide with a sense of motivation? I often find that intellectually knowing I need to do something isn't enough. I do not act until I receive some kind of emotional push, and find some kind of attracting/repelling charge towards a particular situation. Could my difficulty with motivation is connected to my inferior Fe?

Or is motivation something entirely different that has nothing to do with extroverted (or introverted, maybe) feeling?

Nicki

Retired
I don't think Fe provides more of a sense of motivation than any other function. But I'm pretty sure the Je functions help you take action in the external world.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
I think it's a J/P thing. I think us Js derive a lot more of a sense of satisfaction from completing things, answering questions, and bringing things to a resolution in general than Ps.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think Fe provides more of a sense of motivation than any other function. But I'm pretty sure the Je functions help you take action in the external world.

God damnit, I wanted a theory of laziness.

It's just interesting to me that I seem to be better motivated when I have to meet the expectations of others, or when I'm really dissatisfied with something.

You know what, I think that's just being a human. Of course people will try to find ways to avoid doing things they hate.

Although I used to believe it was important to "train myself" not to hate something. Yeah, that worked out well.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I've read stuff about studies that seem to indicate people have a limited amount of self-discipline and spending it on one thing or having stressors reduces what we have to use for other things. So it would seem that being aware of that and making priorities would be one of the better ways to improve one's motivation. I haven't really spent a lot of time on it at this point myself, though. But I do notice I function better when I'm well-rested and not suffering other physical discomforts.

LittleV

Just a note...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
It's just interesting to me that I seem to be better motivated when I have to meet the expectations of others, or when I'm really dissatisfied with something.

This means that you ultimately care about others; otherwise, Fe is about keeping the peace at one's own expense. Motivation can preoccupy attention from one's affective nuances and bring about decisive action for the greater concern.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's just frustrating. I feel like I have no control over what moves me to act. If I hate a istuation I'm in, I have to get fed up with it enough that I can't take it anymore. I can't act when the situation is merely irritating, and not infuriating.

I've read about some of those studies, too. I think they also connected it to glucose, if I remember correctly. To be certain, taking care of your immediate physical needs takes precedence.

For me, motivation seems more like a domino effect. The hardest part is pushing that first domino over. After that, the rest of it becomes easier. The problem is that the first domino is so hard to reach. In other words, if I"m motivated to do one thing, I'm motivated to do other things.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
^^

That's just your 6 wing talking :alttongue:

LittleV

Just a note...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
It's just frustrating. I feel like I have no control over what moves me to act. If I hate a istuation I'm in, I have to get fed up with it enough that I can't take it anymore. I can't act when the situation is merely irritating, and not infuriating.

I've read about some of those studies, too. I think they also connected it to glucose, if I remember correctly. To be certain, taking care of your immediate physical needs takes precedence.

For me, motivation seems more like a domino effect. The hardest part is pushing that first domino over. After that, the rest of it becomes easier. The problem is that the first domino is so hard to reach. In other words, if I"m motivated to do one thing, I'm motivated to do other things.

The (technically) interesting thing about motivation itself is that it cannot be thwarted; it would be subdued before regaining momentum. You sound like you're uninspired, and that any predominant motivation (e.g. other people, pressure, etc.) would propel you to accelerate - or 'push the first domino' - in which subsequent actions would be yielded as mere byproducts.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
F tells what something is worth. i could see that F judgment having a lot to do with motivation to actually do something; feeling that its worth doing. or on the other side not placing F judgment on something would come off as not being sure whether a thing is worth doing or not, which i think is pretty common for INTPs

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think being J makes me anxious about making sure things will get done because I feel the weight of potential consequences (for ignoring something).

The past couple of years I have been working on home repair projects with my INTP dad- and I don’t know how common this is to INTPs, but the difference between motivation to get a job done in us is starting to drive me nuts. It’s like he doesn’t attach a future outcome to it or something, so he doesn’t feel the same dire urge to take care of things that I do. But for me, the consequences are obvious, *right there* and they stress me out until they’re taken care of.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I think being J makes me anxious about making sure things will get done because I feel the weight of potential consequences (for ignoring something).

The past couple of years I have been working on home repair projects with my INTP dad- and I don’t know how common this is to INTPs, but the difference between motivation to get a job done in us is starting to drive me nuts. It’s like he doesn’t attach a future outcome to it or something, so he doesn’t feel the same dire urge to take care of things that I do. But for me, the consequences are obvious, *right there* and they stress me out until they’re taken care of.
I do not know about all INTPs, but I did find fixing up our house with my INTP partner a bit maddening at times. He appeared to have no motivation at all until I had given up and decided I was just going to have to figure out how to do it all myself and God help us with the results.

LittleV

Just a note...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Or it's about protecting an image of keeping the peace at one's own expense.

That’s more indicative of an unhealthy individual, or a thinker attempting to appear as a feeler. Protecting an image and genuinely caring are mutually exclusive... but can coexist, especially in healthy Fe-doms.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I do not know about all INTPs, but I did find fixing up our house with my INTP partner a bit maddening at times. He appeared to have no motivation at all until I had given up and decided I was just going to have to figure out how to do it all myself and God help us with the results.

How are you motivated to do those things?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
How are you motivated to do those things?
Fear of consequences and/or desire for security, mostly. With the house, we had an impending deadline at which we were going to be forced to leave the old house and the new house was not habitable as it was. We were slowly spending our repair budget on other stuff. I was scared shitless. I think he probably was, too, but he was overwhelmed. That's probably why it was motivating for me to decide to do it all myself -- it took the pressure off him so that he could breathe and think clearly again. I dunno, really.

Generally, though, like you, things have to get uncomfortable before I'll move. And Fe doesn't always even work. I still haven't called my dad for Father's Day and I feel like a heel, which only makes it worse. I just hate calling people and Halmark Holidays annoy me.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
That’s more indicative of an unhealthy individual, or a thinker attempting to appear as a feeler. Protecting an image and genuinely caring are mutually exclusive... but can coexist, especially in healthy Fe-doms.

Hmm makes me sound like a thinker then, or at least an unhealthy individual, because that's how it appears to me in myself and others.

But of course with others it could easily be a projection, but whenever I feel the urge to NOT do something because of how it will effect others, I generally follow that thought back, examine it and find out that it is usually because doing said thing would impact my image in others eyes and therefore cause unnecessary risk to my gain socially.

This sounds shallow in a way and it is, but at the same time seeing things this way has a very real purpose within loss and gain.

Of course I would like to believe I am what is generally considered to be 'genuine' and sincere, but if you are something, you usually don't have to spend too much time wondering about it.

However I could be, yet again, being harsh on myself without adequate reason.

LittleV

Just a note...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Hmm makes me sound like a thinker then, or at least an unhealthy individual, because that's how it appears to me in myself and others.

But of course with others it could easily be a projection, but whenever I feel the urge to NOT do something because of how it will effect others, I generally follow that thought back, examine it and find out that it is usually because doing said thing would impact my image in others eyes and therefore cause unnecessary risk to my gain socially.

This sounds shallow in a way and it is, but at the same time seeing things this way has a very real purpose within loss and gain.

Of course I would like to believe I am what is generally considered to be 'genuine' and sincere, but if you are something, you usually don't have to spend too much time wondering about it.

However I could be, yet again, being harsh on myself without adequate reason.

I don’t know you… and I’m not too familiar with E6’s; but people are manifold, such that they could be compromised when trying to find a balance between maintaining their identity and adapting to the environment. So naturally, it isn’t healthy to be on any extreme (this is where disorders are introduced). Perhaps you do judge yourself harshly, that, I cannot say… but you sound like you are capable of meaning well. Everyone has their faults.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I don’t know you… and I’m not too familiar with E6’s; but people are manifold, such that they could be compromised when trying to find a balance between maintaining their identity and adapting to the environment. So naturally, it isn’t healthy to be on any extreme (this is where disorders are introduced). Perhaps you do judge yourself harshly, that, I cannot say… but you sound like you are capable of meaning well. Everyone has their faults.

Ah well E6's are fairly easy to spot. They are either the cool counter-phobic rebels, or the dislikable phobic types who treat life like a large bear-trap at the end of the drive.

I am unfortunately the latter. Fortunately my approach is to just head out anyway and then make a big mess.

LittleV

Just a note...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
They are either the cool counter-phobic rebels, or the dislikable phobic types who treat life like a large bear-trap at the end of the drive.

Good to know; I believe I was in a relationship with a 7w6.

Fortunately my approach is to just head out anyway and then make a big mess.

Haha, I can see that being true, from what I gather.