User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 23

  1. #11
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleV View Post
    Fe is about keeping the peace at one's own expense.
    Or it's about protecting an image of keeping the peace at one's own expense.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  2. #12
    can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    3,692

    Default

    I think being J makes me anxious about making sure things will get done because I feel the weight of potential consequences (for ignoring something).

    The past couple of years I have been working on home repair projects with my INTP dad- and I don’t know how common this is to INTPs, but the difference between motivation to get a job done in us is starting to drive me nuts. It’s like he doesn’t attach a future outcome to it or something, so he doesn’t feel the same dire urge to take care of things that I do. But for me, the consequences are obvious, *right there* and they stress me out until they’re taken care of.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

    5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

  3. #13
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    I think being J makes me anxious about making sure things will get done because I feel the weight of potential consequences (for ignoring something).

    The past couple of years I have been working on home repair projects with my INTP dad- and I don’t know how common this is to INTPs, but the difference between motivation to get a job done in us is starting to drive me nuts. It’s like he doesn’t attach a future outcome to it or something, so he doesn’t feel the same dire urge to take care of things that I do. But for me, the consequences are obvious, *right there* and they stress me out until they’re taken care of.
    I do not know about all INTPs, but I did find fixing up our house with my INTP partner a bit maddening at times. He appeared to have no motivation at all until I had given up and decided I was just going to have to figure out how to do it all myself and God help us with the results.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

  4. #14
    Just a note... LittleV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Or it's about protecting an image of keeping the peace at one's own expense.
    That’s more indicative of an unhealthy individual, or a thinker attempting to appear as a feeler. Protecting an image and genuinely caring are mutually exclusive... but can coexist, especially in healthy Fe-doms.

  5. #15
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I do not know about all INTPs, but I did find fixing up our house with my INTP partner a bit maddening at times. He appeared to have no motivation at all until I had given up and decided I was just going to have to figure out how to do it all myself and God help us with the results.
    How are you motivated to do those things?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

  6. #16
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    How are you motivated to do those things?
    Fear of consequences and/or desire for security, mostly. With the house, we had an impending deadline at which we were going to be forced to leave the old house and the new house was not habitable as it was. We were slowly spending our repair budget on other stuff. I was scared shitless. I think he probably was, too, but he was overwhelmed. That's probably why it was motivating for me to decide to do it all myself -- it took the pressure off him so that he could breathe and think clearly again. I dunno, really.

    Generally, though, like you, things have to get uncomfortable before I'll move. And Fe doesn't always even work. I still haven't called my dad for Father's Day and I feel like a heel, which only makes it worse. I just hate calling people and Halmark Holidays annoy me.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

  7. #17
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleV View Post
    That’s more indicative of an unhealthy individual, or a thinker attempting to appear as a feeler. Protecting an image and genuinely caring are mutually exclusive... but can coexist, especially in healthy Fe-doms.
    Hmm makes me sound like a thinker then, or at least an unhealthy individual, because that's how it appears to me in myself and others.

    But of course with others it could easily be a projection, but whenever I feel the urge to NOT do something because of how it will effect others, I generally follow that thought back, examine it and find out that it is usually because doing said thing would impact my image in others eyes and therefore cause unnecessary risk to my gain socially.

    This sounds shallow in a way and it is, but at the same time seeing things this way has a very real purpose within loss and gain.

    Of course I would like to believe I am what is generally considered to be 'genuine' and sincere, but if you are something, you usually don't have to spend too much time wondering about it.

    However I could be, yet again, being harsh on myself without adequate reason.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  8. #18
    Just a note... LittleV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Hmm makes me sound like a thinker then, or at least an unhealthy individual, because that's how it appears to me in myself and others.

    But of course with others it could easily be a projection, but whenever I feel the urge to NOT do something because of how it will effect others, I generally follow that thought back, examine it and find out that it is usually because doing said thing would impact my image in others eyes and therefore cause unnecessary risk to my gain socially.

    This sounds shallow in a way and it is, but at the same time seeing things this way has a very real purpose within loss and gain.

    Of course I would like to believe I am what is generally considered to be 'genuine' and sincere, but if you are something, you usually don't have to spend too much time wondering about it.

    However I could be, yet again, being harsh on myself without adequate reason.
    I don’t know you… and I’m not too familiar with E6’s; but people are manifold, such that they could be compromised when trying to find a balance between maintaining their identity and adapting to the environment. So naturally, it isn’t healthy to be on any extreme (this is where disorders are introduced). Perhaps you do judge yourself harshly, that, I cannot say… but you sound like you are capable of meaning well. Everyone has their faults.

  9. #19
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleV View Post
    I don’t know you… and I’m not too familiar with E6’s; but people are manifold, such that they could be compromised when trying to find a balance between maintaining their identity and adapting to the environment. So naturally, it isn’t healthy to be on any extreme (this is where disorders are introduced). Perhaps you do judge yourself harshly, that, I cannot say… but you sound like you are capable of meaning well. Everyone has their faults.
    Ah well E6's are fairly easy to spot. They are either the cool counter-phobic rebels, or the dislikable phobic types who treat life like a large bear-trap at the end of the drive.

    I am unfortunately the latter. Fortunately my approach is to just head out anyway and then make a big mess.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  10. #20
    Just a note... LittleV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    They are either the cool counter-phobic rebels, or the dislikable phobic types who treat life like a large bear-trap at the end of the drive.
    Good to know; I believe I was in a relationship with a 7w6.

    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Fortunately my approach is to just head out anyway and then make a big mess.
    Haha, I can see that being true, from what I gather.

Similar Threads

  1. [Fe] Weak Fe and power dynamics?
    By Azure Flame in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-24-2014, 04:40 AM
  2. [Fe] Fe and morality
    By Elfboy in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 06-29-2012, 08:07 PM
  3. [Fe] Fe and not having a strong sense of self-identity.
    By Random Ness in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 12-22-2010, 02:50 PM
  4. [Fe] Fe and People Information
    By Glycerine in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-29-2009, 05:18 PM
  5. [Fe] Fe and how it works
    By Poki in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 09-04-2009, 12:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO