• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Questions asked & Questions answered for people unsure of their type

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Hi,a strict question/answer format would be too strict for a thread that centers on uncertainty.

I'm telling that anyone can ask questions directed to people who are unsure of their type, and anyone who's unsure of their type can answer them.

I'll start.

How big of an influence has your type been to you?

What other sources have you found to determine yourself in addition to typology?

How does it feel to be a drop-out or cast-off from typology?

What inspiration do you draw from typology that is essentially meant for people different than you?
EDIT: I'm trying to re-phrase the questions with more clarity.
1) There's knowledge about your own type and knowledge about the peculiarities & traits of said type. How much has that knowledge influenced you?
2) Typology covers all the theories and activities related to finding a personality type for oneself or someone else. Many people feel natural to at least partly define (determine) themselves by typological findings, like common traits for people who hold a certain type. What sources - other than typological - have you used to determine who and what you are?
3) Fans of typology often more readily recognize and accept people who are clearly of certain psychological type. What kind of an effect has it had for you not to be so clearly defined?
4) One of the greatest uses for typological profiles is for people to understand and come to accept themselves. Much of that is made possible by reading typological profiles of one's own type. Also, typology as a whole speaks to a certain target audience. Have you felt inspired from some message in the typological literature that wasn't originally meant directly for you?

Last edited:

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
I'm not sure if other people feel this way too but I'm having trouble understanding what you mean in some of your questions.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

Not much, in fact the further along I go the more I seek to distance myself from what I see as the more harmful aspects of the theory, such as trying to type everyone and thinking about actions and thoughts in terms of JCF.

What other sources have you found to determine yourself in addition to typology?

Oh...so many. Fiction, experience in life with those who truly left a good mark on me. Quotes that help induce the world into being what it is. Willpower and the notion that I can either check out of life, or be good to those who love me, get some perspective and I mean REALLY get some perspective, not just 'yes-ing' people and then going about life the same way.

The idea of riding the storm as I put it, when there are so many issues, but they can be amended by applying yourself, changing your approach and thereby finding a solution, or just changing your relationship to the problem so it no longer becomes a problem. All these little philosophies riding around my mind that I believe in and that have a great deal of importance to me. Knowing when to look at yourself with a clear eye and step back to stop the ingrained behaviour's and bad habits.
Understanding what blame is and where it usually lies, which is with your own self. Putting yourself in the position of acknowledging the worst as a way to understand how to reach the best, rather than shutting off the negative because it is uncomfortable to think about.

Knowing that any conflict of that nature, will eventually lift with a clearer understanding on the other side.

Some what disillusioning, but mainly frustrating. For me and I don't mean to say I assume this of all theory followers, but the way in which it is used to pigeon hole people and how I have seen others dismissing a person based on their 'functions' or their type. I see it as a trap, I want to warn people about falling into it, but I'm worried that I would be wrong to take up such a crusade and get swallowed by it.

The idea of using the theory for better understanding one another in our conflicts and our unconscious foibles is a great notion in theory.....but in practice it is too often thrown aside for bias and blame-shifting, which requires less effort and less exposure of oneself.

What inspiration do you draw from typology that is essentially meant for people different than you?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Do you mean if I were a different type than one I thought I was? Or is it that you are saying those outside the theory, or who reject it, take inspiration from it despite it not being for you, hence the rejection?

Or something else?

In any case, the inspiration I do take is that it has led me to different people, different perspectives, (although I see many different ones offline as well), and that at the core of it typology does carry with it a noteworthy message of trying to sow up the seams in our suit of differences.

And that must have some worth, after all.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm about 85% confident and 15% unconfident of my type.

A moderate influence. It's helped my self-understanding and understand better why some things come easier for me than others. It's helped me understand better people who are very different from me.

Type theories other than MBTI: Enneagram, socionics, big 5, disc

Introspection

Feedback from others

Life experiences

My interest in it waxes and wanes from time to time but never completely disappears. I think typology will always be a lifelong interest of mine, even though it can be lacking in scientific evidence. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so obsessed with it. There are more productive things I could be doing but I just can't help it.

I'm not sure I completely understand this question. I know that sometimes people very different from me inspire me in various ways. I'll be in awe of their ability to use Fe or Se with confidence and ease- functions that are weak for me. Due to their different cognitive function makeup, they will see possibilities and solutions to problems that I may have overlooked.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm not sure if other people feel this way too but I'm having trouble understanding what you mean in some of your questions.
I was dead tired when I wrote it. I'll try to decipher my own thoughts .. and edit these in the OP. (Done)