Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unobservant people

philosopher wood nymph Array greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Default Unobservant people

I've noticed this with my ISFJ mom and my INFP cousin, so I'm guessing it's Si vs Se: they will ask me where something is or if we have something without even looking, or complain that they don't know where something is. I always know where things are. I pretty much know where everything I own is. Not only do I usually put things in the same places, but I retain a visual memory of where things were last. I look in the refrigerator to see what we have. I look at what is in the cabinets and on the counter tops. I've done this so many times (whenever I get hungry, because I want to know what there is to eat) I could pretty much recite 80% of what is in the kitchen. They on the other hand will ask me where something is when they could just open the door of the refrigerator and see it right in front of them.

Why do people do this, and what is responsible? How hard is it to observe your surroundings?

6w5, 4w3, 1w9 (probably)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

I don't know what you mean by the statement "I use Se." We all "use Se." I'm "using Se" while I type this.

But that's not what Se is. It has more to do with enjoying the use of the senses. What you're doing is keeping track of items, like Te.

My wife is an ISFP, and she has giving me much opportunity to observe Se.
    Reminder (for others):
    Your = belonging to you, you're = you are, they're = they are, their = belonging to them, there = not here.

This seems similar to when people ask for information that they could very easily google. I don't know if I'd attribute it to functions necessarily, it just seems like a lower degree of self-reliance to me.

MBTI
    INTP

Sensates are much more observant of the physical environment, in 2 different ways respective to Se and Si.

Se types literally notice raw physical details and their possibilities for expression.

Si types notice whether physical things are as expected, what is out of place. This explains the introversion of the function - introversion is always like the meta-version of the extroverted function.

darkened dreams Array labyrinthine's Avatar
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFp None

It is very difficult to observe surroundings. :P My husband and I are both spacey, but in different ways. I rely heavily on technology to create grocery lists and so forth. I have almost zero idea where my stuff is unless it is in drawers that are labeled - which I do create. Our place is a funny combination of being very organized, but also kind of a mess. We occasionally have organizing projects (or I do - haha) where I clearly label where things are, and try to keep things almost where they are anyway, but just add a set of drawers or something, so that it isn't just a big, random pile. Stuff stresses me out a great deal because I don't have a visual memory of where any of it is.
    The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas. H.G. WELLS
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. FEYNMAN

If this is monkey pee, you're on your own.SCULLY

No moss growing on me Array Giggly's Avatar
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

This is a trait of people who have the tendency to outwardly express their every thought or feeling in the moment rather than introspecting. Some people are "fleeting" in the sense that they go from thought to thought or action to action, all in the moment as they are occurring and they express or verbalize this process to various degrees. The main thing is that they are less inclined to introspect first. Doing this makes them feel happy and energized too.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    I don't know if I'd attribute it to functions necessarily, it just seems like a lower degree of self-reliance to me.
    ^ This!
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I'm basically responsible for knowing where *everything* is almost all the time. For six people and two dogs. I may not know where everything is right off the top of my head, but I can usually find it within a few minutes.

Unless it's my keys . . .
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Ginkgo

The best information is always taken, no questions asked.

philosopher wood nymph Array greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    I don't know what you mean by the statement "I use Se." We all "use Se." I'm "using Se" while I type this.

But that's not what Se is. It has more to do with enjoying the use of the senses. What you're doing is keeping track of items, like Te.

My wife is an ISFP, and she has giving me much opportunity to observe Se.
    Well right, and I agree with this. The expression is just shorthand for being in the top 4 functions, meaning you have adequately conscious use of it a lot of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    This seems similar to when people ask for information that they could very easily google. I don't know if I'd attribute it to functions necessarily, it just seems like a lower degree of self-reliance to me.
    I'm thinking you are right about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    Se types literally notice raw physical details and their possibilities for expression.
    Interesting; can you give an example of this please?
    Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    It is very difficult to observe surroundings. :P My husband and I are both spacey, but in different ways. I rely heavily on technology to create grocery lists and so forth. I have almost zero idea where my stuff is unless it is in drawers that are labeled - which I do create. Our place is a funny combination of being very organized, but also kind of a mess. We occasionally have organizing projects (or I do - haha) where I clearly label where things are, and try to keep things almost where they are anyway, but just add a set of drawers or something, so that it isn't just a big, random pile. Stuff stresses me out a great deal because I don't have a visual memory of where any of it is.
    That's interesting you and @cafe have such different experiences and are the same type; either it has to do with functions and they express themselves in different ways or it's not function/type related. I have heard it said (by DJ Arendee) that J types can be really organized precisely because they have to be to function, whereas P types can function in chaos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    This is a trait of people who have the tendency to outwardly express their every thought or feeling in the moment rather than introspecting. Some people are "fleeting" in the sense that they go from thought to thought or action to action, all in the moment as they are occurring and they express or verbalize this process to various degrees. The main thing is that they are less inclined to introspect first. Doing this makes them feel happy and energized too.
    I'm thinking this is correct too. This is my mom all over. It's annoying.

6w5, 4w3, 1w9 (probably)