• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Unobservant people

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've noticed this with my ISFJ mom and my INFP cousin, so I'm guessing it's Si vs Se: they will ask me where something is or if we have something without even looking, or complain that they don't know where something is. I always know where things are. I pretty much know where everything I own is. Not only do I usually put things in the same places, but I retain a visual memory of where things were last. I look in the refrigerator to see what we have. I look at what is in the cabinets and on the counter tops. I've done this so many times (whenever I get hungry, because I want to know what there is to eat) I could pretty much recite 80% of what is in the kitchen. They on the other hand will ask me where something is when they could just open the door of the refrigerator and see it right in front of them.

Why do people do this, and what is responsible? How hard is it to observe your surroundings?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know what you mean by the statement "I use Se." We all "use Se." I'm "using Se" while I type this.

But that's not what Se is. It has more to do with enjoying the use of the senses. What you're doing is keeping track of items, like Te.

My wife is an ISFP, and she has giving me much opportunity to observe Se.

This seems similar to when people ask for information that they could very easily google. I don't know if I'd attribute it to functions necessarily, it just seems like a lower degree of self-reliance to me.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
Sensates are much more observant of the physical environment, in 2 different ways respective to Se and Si.

Se types literally notice raw physical details and their possibilities for expression.

Si types notice whether physical things are as expected, what is out of place. This explains the introversion of the function - introversion is always like the meta-version of the extroverted function.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is very difficult to observe surroundings. :p My husband and I are both spacey, but in different ways. I rely heavily on technology to create grocery lists and so forth. I have almost zero idea where my stuff is unless it is in drawers that are labeled - which I do create. Our place is a funny combination of being very organized, but also kind of a mess. We occasionally have organizing projects (or I do - haha) where I clearly label where things are, and try to keep things almost where they are anyway, but just add a set of drawers or something, so that it isn't just a big, random pile. Stuff stresses me out a great deal because I don't have a visual memory of where any of it is.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is a trait of people who have the tendency to outwardly express their every thought or feeling in the moment rather than introspecting. Some people are "fleeting" in the sense that they go from thought to thought or action to action, all in the moment as they are occurring and they express or verbalize this process to various degrees. The main thing is that they are less inclined to introspect first. Doing this makes them feel happy and energized too.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'm basically responsible for knowing where *everything* is almost all the time. For six people and two dogs. I may not know where everything is right off the top of my head, but I can usually find it within a few minutes.

Unless it's my keys . . .

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know what you mean by the statement "I use Se." We all "use Se." I'm "using Se" while I type this.

But that's not what Se is. It has more to do with enjoying the use of the senses. What you're doing is keeping track of items, like Te.

My wife is an ISFP, and she has giving me much opportunity to observe Se.
Well right, and I agree with this. The expression is just shorthand for being in the top 4 functions, meaning you have adequately conscious use of it a lot of the time.
This seems similar to when people ask for information that they could very easily google. I don't know if I'd attribute it to functions necessarily, it just seems like a lower degree of self-reliance to me.
I'm thinking you are right about this.
Se types literally notice raw physical details and their possibilities for expression.
Interesting; can you give an example of this please?
It is very difficult to observe surroundings. :p My husband and I are both spacey, but in different ways. I rely heavily on technology to create grocery lists and so forth. I have almost zero idea where my stuff is unless it is in drawers that are labeled - which I do create. Our place is a funny combination of being very organized, but also kind of a mess. We occasionally have organizing projects (or I do - haha) where I clearly label where things are, and try to keep things almost where they are anyway, but just add a set of drawers or something, so that it isn't just a big, random pile. Stuff stresses me out a great deal because I don't have a visual memory of where any of it is.
That's interesting you and [MENTION=4]cafe[/MENTION] have such different experiences and are the same type; either it has to do with functions and they express themselves in different ways or it's not function/type related. I have heard it said (by DJ Arendee) that J types can be really organized precisely because they have to be to function, whereas P types can function in chaos.
This is a trait of people who have the tendency to outwardly express their every thought or feeling in the moment rather than introspecting. Some people are "fleeting" in the sense that they go from thought to thought or action to action, all in the moment as they are occurring and they express or verbalize this process to various degrees. The main thing is that they are less inclined to introspect first. Doing this makes them feel happy and energized too.
I'm thinking this is correct too. This is my mom all over. It's annoying.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
Interesting; can you give an example of this please?

Noticing what clothes catch the eye and compliment the features.
Feeling and experimenting with physical sensations.
Creating a viscerally striking image, either with their own body or as a separate work of art.
Noting the way the environment appears.

G

Ginkgo

Sucking on limp dicks is a lot like having chewing gum stuck in between your teeth.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've noticed this with my ISFJ mom and my INFP cousin, so I'm guessing it's Si vs Se: they will ask me where something is or if we have something without even looking, or complain that they don't know where something is. I always know where things are. I pretty much know where everything I own is. Not only do I usually put things in the same places, but I retain a visual memory of where things were last. I look in the refrigerator to see what we have. I look at what is in the cabinets and on the counter tops. I've done this so many times (whenever I get hungry, because I want to know what there is to eat) I could pretty much recite 80% of what is in the kitchen. They on the other hand will ask me where something is when they could just open the door of the refrigerator and see it right in front of them.

Why do people do this, and what is responsible? How hard is it to observe your surroundings?

My memory is selective. On the one hand, I can know where a particular thing is months after I put it somewhere in a stack of papers somewhere or in a specific spot. On the other hand, I lose my keys, my wallet, the glass I'm drinking out of and things like that all the time and it causes me some level of distress. I can be observant of surroundings or completely oblivious of them. Depends on whether or not I'm absorbed thinking about something I suppose.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
That's interesting you and [MENTION=4]cafe[/MENTION] have such different experiences and are the same type; either it has to do with functions and they express themselves in different ways or it's not function/type related. I have heard it said (by DJ Arendee) that J types can be really organized precisely because they have to be to function, whereas P types can function in chaos.
For me, it's a survival mechanism. The schools don't think it's funny if your kids are late because someone is missing a shoe.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Noticing what clothes catch the eye and compliment the features.
Feeling and experimenting with physical sensations.
Creating a viscerally striking image, either with their own body or as a separate work of art.
Noting the way the environment appears.

Hm. How would this contrast with Si in the same situations? I think I'm good with both.

My memory is selective. On the one hand, I can know where a particular thing is months after I put it somewhere in a stack of papers somewhere or in a specific spot. On the other hand, I lose my keys, my wallet, the glass I'm drinking out of and things like that all the time and it causes me some level of distress. I can be observant of surroundings or completely oblivious of them. Depends on whether or not I'm absorbed thinking about something I suppose.
I think I can be the same way.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
Hm. How would this contrast with Si in the same situations? I think I'm good with both.

Good question.

For example, Se types might tend to be the ones that come up with certain styles of fashion that can compliment the human form, even break the mold. Si types catch on to these later on and adopt them as a standard - are people wearing what's in style? Are people well dressed? If they are dressed abnormally, what questions does this raise?

Si types are excellent inspectors for this reason. They rapidly notice inconsistencies from the generally standard behavior and environment.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Good question.
It seems to be the only way I can really make sense of the functions.
For example, Se types might tend to be the ones that come up with certain styles of fashion that can compliment the human form, even break the mold. Si types catch on to these later on and adopt them as a standard - are people wearing what's in style? Are people well dressed? If they are dressed abnormally, what questions does this raise?

Si types are excellent inspectors for this reason. They rapidly notice inconsistencies from the generally standard behavior and environment.
Ah, hence the ESFJ reputation for conformity (Fe+Si). I think I'm more Si then.

Thanks. I think I would agree that the contrast seems to fit what I know of the definitions.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It seems to be the only way I can really make sense of the functions.
Ah, hence the ESFJ reputation for conformity (Fe+Si). I think I'm more Si then.
Thanks. I think I would agree that the contrast seems to fit what I know of the definitions.
as I see it
Si: conformity with the past
Fe: conformity with the present