First 2345 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

This is too easy to answer; anyone who isn't a super-sensor lacks the almighty power of observation, and hence, they are completely unadapted to the rigors and reasonings of science!

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    My memory is selective. On the one hand, I can know where a particular thing is months after I put it somewhere in a stack of papers somewhere or in a specific spot. On the other hand, I lose my keys, my wallet, the glass I'm drinking out of and things like that all the time and it causes me some level of distress. I can be observant of surroundings or completely oblivious of them. Depends on whether or not I'm absorbed thinking about something I suppose.
    This is identical to myself. I've lost my keys, wallet, cup I was drinking out of, countless times, but only the other day I produced a P45 form from what was, at first glance, an innocuous pile and I couldn't explain how I knew it was there.

Especially since it was 6 months old and had been there most of those months.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I have a friend with an eidetic memory. I also have a good memory, but not as good as his.
    Does that automatically make him a sensor? That's my take away from this thread...
    And yet he is a database engineer. that's pretty abstract.
    Therefore: the whole sensor/intuitive divide is largely BS.
    Someone should tell Karl Gustav!

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post

Not quite, I think many people take complex to equal abstract. This is untrue.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I don't do this, nor does my ISFJ mom.
    I'm not observant, but that doesn't mean I don't try & look. I often can stare at something & not see it. I search for awhile before I ask anyone because I prefer to be independent & figure things out myself.
    My ISFJ mom, however, is observant to the point of being annoying (always pointing out details no one cares about) & she gets annoyed with others who are not as observant ("how could you not notice that?!!!").

I think this has nothing to do with Si. Si types are almost stereotypically known to have a tendency to note & retain physical details very well.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

My ISFJ mom always knows where everything is. She also notices and remembers everything, and I mean everything.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    INTP

I had an ISFJ roommate who was really anal about everything to a comedic extent, and simultaneously an INFP roommate who was pretty much the BIGGEST BUM I HAVE EVER FUCKING MET AND DIDN'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT ANYTHING IN THE PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT EVER. It was a fun contrast. They didn't even hate each other, but mainly because the INFP was so goddamn oblivious that no one even bothered to try with him. He'd leave shit around the house and not give it a second thought and we'd all be like, well, that's Chase.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    Not quite, I think many people take complex to equal abstract. This is untrue.
    Despite this useless aside, what I said remains true. The N/S thing is BS writ large on little minds. Please rebut the content of my post. I don't need to be taught how to think, but thanks.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    My dad is an INTP, and completely oblivious to reality in the same manners you describe. He couldn't find the TV remote if it was touching his leg.

The other day he was looking for sriracha and I told him it was on the lowest shelf of the left door in the fridge. He couldn't find it. I walked in and it was the very first thing on that exact shelf I described.

Another he went to pull money off my card, asked if I wanted twenty dollars. I told him no, ten was fine. He pulled out twenty anyways

He'll also repeat an exact point I just made after I'm done talking. I think we happen to think the same thoughts tangentially, but he's so impatient to get his thoughts out first he doesn't really listen to any input directed towards him. I'm the same way when I fall into a groove of thought, often, so I can't really fault him for this.

Very stuck in his mind, 24/7. My ENFP brother/INFP sister aren't too far off.
    Sounds kind of like my INTP uncle. Wow. That's really bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    My understanding of this, derived from Jung pretty much, is that intuitives are less observant than sensors and that's the big difference.

For instance a sensor will be able to recall the shapes of houses or shop fronts on a street they regularly travel whereas an intuitive will not unless there is some reason that a particular house or build relates to something else of some kind of conceptual importance.
    Gee. I'm pretty sure I'm not a sensor, and I could definitely do this. I could recall the trees and the specific businesses, the smells, the kind of people walking about, and the place it is in the general map in my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    im pretty observant about my surroundings(but at times go into a mode where i dont pay much attention) and have good memory about where things are. i think i remember where things are better in my INTJs and INFPs apartment(they are roommates) combined quite often when they are looking for something in their apartment i can instantly tell them where it is. if it matters the INTJ is far worse remembering where things are than the INFP, but thats more about the fact that the INTJ puts things in very random places and forgets where he put them, while the INFP is more like me in the way that he develops habits of putting things in certain places pretty fast, but if its something he doesent use often, he isnt good at remembering where it is(while i can remember easily where some random object is even if its like month or more since i last saw it).
    Aha, then it's not type related, because you are an Si user and the INTP described by the above quoted poster is completely different. Cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    I have a friend with an eidetic memory. I also have a good memory, but not as good as his.
    Does that automatically make him a sensor? That's my take away from this thread...
    Therefore: the whole sensor/intuitive divide is largely BS.
    Someone should tell Karl Gustav!
    No, what I think is noteworthy is that sensing and intuiting can be expressed in completely different ways in different people and types for different reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I don't do this, nor does my ISFJ mom.
    I'm not observant, but that doesn't mean I don't try & look. I often can stare at something & not see it. I search for awhile before I ask anyone because I prefer to be independent & figure things out myself.

My ISFJ mom, however, is observant to the point of being annoying (always pointing out details no one cares about) & she gets annoyed with others who are not as observant ("how could you not notice that?!!!").
    lol Mine's always talking about the weather as though it's really important, and what she's cooked and ate.
    I think this has nothing to do with Si. Si types are almost stereotypically known to have a tendency to note & retain physical details very well.
    Cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    I had an ISFJ roommate who was really anal about everything to a comedic extent, and simultaneously an INFP roommate who was pretty much the BIGGEST BUM I HAVE EVER FUCKING MET AND DIDN'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT ANYTHING IN THE PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT EVER. It was a fun contrast. They didn't even hate each other, but mainly because the INFP was so goddamn oblivious that no one even bothered to try with him. He'd leave shit around the house and not give it a second thought and we'd all be like, well, that's Chase.
    Lol, that must have been fun. The Odd Couple. I bet it was fun to tease and mess with them. The INFP sounds like my cousin. She's also a slob.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Aha, then it's not type related, because you are an Si user and the INTP described by the above quoted poster is completely different. Cool.
    im pretty sure it has a lot to do with what functions you have developed, not what functions you naturally prefer over one. i consider myself having pretty well developed Si for several reasons(mainly hobbies i have had and people i have been around when growing up).
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read