• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Unobservant people

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
Fe consists of culturally defined ways of displaying interpersonal value and belonging. Birthdays, weddings, holiday celebrations, participation in organizations, following known protocol in relationships, etc. Following fashion trends can definitely be included in that, and I think that's why Fe is linked to Si, and not, say, Se.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fe consists of culturally defined ways of displaying interpersonal value and belonging. Birthdays, weddings, holiday celebrations, participation in organizations, following known protocol in relationships, etc. Following fashion trends can definitely be included in that, and I think that's why Fe is linked to Si, and not, say, Se.
True, good point. And also that would violate the principles of CF dynamics.

W

WALMART

My dad is an INTP, and completely oblivious to reality in the same manners you describe. He couldn't find the TV remote if it was touching his leg.

The other day he was looking for sriracha and I told him it was on the lowest shelf of the left door in the fridge. He couldn't find it. I walked in and it was the very first thing on that exact shelf I described.

Another he went to pull money off my card, asked if I wanted twenty dollars. I told him no, ten was fine. He pulled out twenty anyways :thinking:

He'll also repeat an exact point I just made after I'm done talking. I think we happen to think the same thoughts tangentially, but he's so impatient to get his thoughts out first he doesn't really listen to any input directed towards him. I'm the same way when I fall into a groove of thought, often, so I can't really fault him for this.

Very stuck in his mind, 24/7. My ENFP brother/INFP sister aren't too far off.

Lark

I've noticed this with my ISFJ mom and my INFP cousin, so I'm guessing it's Si vs Se: they will ask me where something is or if we have something without even looking, or complain that they don't know where something is. I always know where things are. I pretty much know where everything I own is. Not only do I usually put things in the same places, but I retain a visual memory of where things were last. I look in the refrigerator to see what we have. I look at what is in the cabinets and on the counter tops. I've done this so many times (whenever I get hungry, because I want to know what there is to eat) I could pretty much recite 80% of what is in the kitchen. They on the other hand will ask me where something is when they could just open the door of the refrigerator and see it right in front of them.

Why do people do this, and what is responsible? How hard is it to observe your surroundings?

My understanding of this, derived from Jung pretty much, is that intuitives are less observant than sensors and that's the big difference.

For instance a sensor will be able to recall the shapes of houses or shop fronts on a street they regularly travel whereas an intuitive will not unless there is some reason that a particular house or build relates to something else of some kind of conceptual importance.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So linking the two is paying attention to trends?

noticing social trends is probably most related to Fe or Se. noticing trends in general is more Intuitive
Si is more likely to notice the discrepancy between current customs and past customs (not necessarily social customs, it's often something more personal)

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
im pretty observant about my surroundings(but at times go into a mode where i dont pay much attention) and have good memory about where things are. i think i remember where things are better in my INTJs and INFPs apartment(they are roommates) combined :D quite often when they are looking for something in their apartment i can instantly tell them where it is. if it matters the INTJ is far worse remembering where things are than the INFP, but thats more about the fact that the INTJ puts things in very random places and forgets where he put them, while the INFP is more like me in the way that he develops habits of putting things in certain places pretty fast, but if its something he doesent use often, he isnt good at remembering where it is(while i can remember easily where some random object is even if its like month or more since i last saw it).

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sucking on limp dicks is a lot like having chewing gum stuck in between your teeth.

interesting, care to expand on this?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I vasilate between the two I'm either hyper aware or not at all. depends on what i'm doing, and how my emotional state is

Tabula

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I either know EXACTLY where something is, or I have no idea whether or not it even exists anymore. There's no "Oh yeah, I think I threw it in that general direction over there somewhere; it's probably there."

It's: YES. Under that broken mirror in the corner next to the pile of scribbled on paper touching that sock. I remember.

Or:

Late bill? I have a Discover card? :huh:

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
I either know EXACTLY where something is, or I have no idea whether or not it even exists anymore. There's no "Oh yeah, I think I threw it in that general direction over there somewhere; it's probably there."

It's: YES. Under that broken mirror in the corner next to the pile of scribbled on paper touching that sock. I remember.

Or:

Late bill? I have a Discover card? :huh:
lol! I relate to this a lot. I'm also vacillate between the two extremes.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is too easy to answer; anyone who isn't a super-sensor lacks the almighty power of observation, and hence, they are completely unadapted to the rigors and reasonings of science!

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
My memory is selective. On the one hand, I can know where a particular thing is months after I put it somewhere in a stack of papers somewhere or in a specific spot. On the other hand, I lose my keys, my wallet, the glass I'm drinking out of and things like that all the time and it causes me some level of distress. I can be observant of surroundings or completely oblivious of them. Depends on whether or not I'm absorbed thinking about something I suppose.

This is identical to myself. I've lost my keys, wallet, cup I was drinking out of, countless times, but only the other day I produced a P45 form from what was, at first glance, an innocuous pile and I couldn't explain how I knew it was there.

Especially since it was 6 months old and had been there most of those months.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I have a friend with an eidetic memory. I also have a good memory, but not as good as his.
Does that automatically make him a sensor? That's my take away from this thread...
And yet he is a database engineer. that's pretty abstract.
Therefore: the whole sensor/intuitive divide is largely BS.
Someone should tell Karl Gustav!

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't do this, nor does my ISFJ mom.
I'm not observant, but that doesn't mean I don't try & look. I often can stare at something & not see it. I search for awhile before I ask anyone because I prefer to be independent & figure things out myself.
My ISFJ mom, however, is observant to the point of being annoying (always pointing out details no one cares about) & she gets annoyed with others who are not as observant ("how could you not notice that?!!!").

I think this has nothing to do with Si. Si types are almost stereotypically known to have a tendency to note & retain physical details very well.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
My ISFJ mom always knows where everything is. She also notices and remembers everything, and I mean everything.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
I had an ISFJ roommate who was really anal about everything to a comedic extent, and simultaneously an INFP roommate who was pretty much the BIGGEST BUM I HAVE EVER FUCKING MET AND DIDN'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT ANYTHING IN THE PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT EVER. It was a fun contrast. They didn't even hate each other, but mainly because the INFP was so goddamn oblivious that no one even bothered to try with him. He'd leave shit around the house and not give it a second thought and we'd all be like, well, that's Chase.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Not quite, I think many people take complex to equal abstract. This is untrue.

Despite this useless aside, what I said remains true. The N/S thing is BS writ large on little minds. Please rebut the content of my post. I don't need to be taught how to think, but thanks.:D

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My dad is an INTP, and completely oblivious to reality in the same manners you describe. He couldn't find the TV remote if it was touching his leg.

The other day he was looking for sriracha and I told him it was on the lowest shelf of the left door in the fridge. He couldn't find it. I walked in and it was the very first thing on that exact shelf I described.

Another he went to pull money off my card, asked if I wanted twenty dollars. I told him no, ten was fine. He pulled out twenty anyways :thinking:

He'll also repeat an exact point I just made after I'm done talking. I think we happen to think the same thoughts tangentially, but he's so impatient to get his thoughts out first he doesn't really listen to any input directed towards him. I'm the same way when I fall into a groove of thought, often, so I can't really fault him for this.

Very stuck in his mind, 24/7. My ENFP brother/INFP sister aren't too far off.
Sounds kind of like my INTP uncle. Wow. That's really bad.
My understanding of this, derived from Jung pretty much, is that intuitives are less observant than sensors and that's the big difference.

For instance a sensor will be able to recall the shapes of houses or shop fronts on a street they regularly travel whereas an intuitive will not unless there is some reason that a particular house or build relates to something else of some kind of conceptual importance.
Gee. I'm pretty sure I'm not a sensor, and I could definitely do this. I could recall the trees and the specific businesses, the smells, the kind of people walking about, and the place it is in the general map in my head.
im pretty observant about my surroundings(but at times go into a mode where i dont pay much attention) and have good memory about where things are. i think i remember where things are better in my INTJs and INFPs apartment(they are roommates) combined :D quite often when they are looking for something in their apartment i can instantly tell them where it is. if it matters the INTJ is far worse remembering where things are than the INFP, but thats more about the fact that the INTJ puts things in very random places and forgets where he put them, while the INFP is more like me in the way that he develops habits of putting things in certain places pretty fast, but if its something he doesent use often, he isnt good at remembering where it is(while i can remember easily where some random object is even if its like month or more since i last saw it).
Aha, then it's not type related, because you are an Si user and the INTP described by the above quoted poster is completely different. Cool.
I have a friend with an eidetic memory. I also have a good memory, but not as good as his.
Does that automatically make him a sensor? That's my take away from this thread...
And yet he is a database engineer. that's pretty abstract.
Therefore: the whole sensor/intuitive divide is largely BS.
Someone should tell Karl Gustav!
No, what I think is noteworthy is that sensing and intuiting can be expressed in completely different ways in different people and types for different reasons.
I don't do this, nor does my ISFJ mom.
I'm not observant, but that doesn't mean I don't try & look. I often can stare at something & not see it. I search for awhile before I ask anyone because I prefer to be independent & figure things out myself.
:hifive:
My ISFJ mom, however, is observant to the point of being annoying (always pointing out details no one cares about) & she gets annoyed with others who are not as observant ("how could you not notice that?!!!").
lol Mine's always talking about the weather as though it's really important, and what she's cooked and ate.
I think this has nothing to do with Si. Si types are almost stereotypically known to have a tendency to note & retain physical details very well.
Cool.
I had an ISFJ roommate who was really anal about everything to a comedic extent, and simultaneously an INFP roommate who was pretty much the BIGGEST BUM I HAVE EVER FUCKING MET AND DIDN'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT ANYTHING IN THE PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT EVER. It was a fun contrast. They didn't even hate each other, but mainly because the INFP was so goddamn oblivious that no one even bothered to try with him. He'd leave shit around the house and not give it a second thought and we'd all be like, well, that's Chase.
Lol, that must have been fun. The Odd Couple. I bet it was fun to tease and mess with them. The INFP sounds like my cousin. She's also a slob.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Aha, then it's not type related, because you are an Si user and the INTP described by the above quoted poster is completely different. Cool.

im pretty sure it has a lot to do with what functions you have developed, not what functions you naturally prefer over one. i consider myself having pretty well developed Si for several reasons(mainly hobbies i have had and people i have been around when growing up).