• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How confrontational are you, NFs?

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I used to think I was conflict-avoidant, but actually I'm not. I'm not afraid of conflicts at all, and I'd rather deal with them now than later. I just don't have a lot of energy so I pick my battles. Most things aren't worth getting upset over anyways.

Nicki

Retired
Sometimes conflict can be a bit frightening to deal with it, but other times it can be fun if your life's been boring lately. I can be fairly confrontational when people severely disrespect me or do something that doesn't jive with me. I try not to be unnecessarily mean though especially if I relate to the person who made me angry.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm like a cat: highly conflict-avoidant at all times, until you're stupid enough to corner me without consent. :wink:

I won't start a conflict coz someone is pissing me off, or upsets me, as I consider it a point of pride to be able to see the other person's pov, and find some common ground/middle ground on which to negotiate and find a win-win situation for the both of us. Diplomacy/negotiating is a skill, after all.

Aside from that, I'm not arrogant enough to believe that everyone should share my pov on the world.

However, there is one exception to that rule: if you are causing harm or suffering to others, or you're threatening me, loved ones, or even just helpless targets - be it animals or people, the gloves come off. Especially if it is done intentionally - if not, I'll try my diplomacy strategy first. There is a limit to my patience though, believe it or not.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I dislike a lot of conflicts because they seem really unnecessary. In so many cases it's just someone being stubborn, refusing to see the other side of things, refusing to take one for the team, etc. Other times it's due to red tape and communication issues that could be resolved by improving systems that people don't want to improve because it takes time and money, so that pisses me off on a systemic level. If we kept our systems running at optimal levels, we'd avoid conflict.

On a personal level, it's frustrating because it's messy to confront. If you're overbearing, then you're a jackass and you're not helping anyone. If you're not assertive enough, then you may well not get the solution you're hoping for. It's a delicate balance and it's different with every person and every situation. And I really just don't like making people pissed off at me, because angry people suck, but also because then they won't want to help me if I ever need it.

IRL I mostly tend to confront only in close relationships because those are the only situations that really matter to me. I don't usually care otherwise, unless it gets to an unbearable point. But when the flood gates open...

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have noticed a tendency in my NF friends...especially my INFJ and ENFP friends to avoid conflict like it's the devil. I'm really curious as to which NFs are the most conflict-averse and which ones aren't so shy to engage. So, if you're in a mood to share, NFs, are you conflict-avoidant?

I'm conflict-avoidant in that I generally take measures to try to keep them from happening, by addressing the situation before it comes to a head.It's natural for people to end up stepping on one another's toes some time or another. "Conflict" doesn't have to = "fight."

I dislike when people I care for are upset with me, it's obviously uncomfortable & not something I get pleasure from or consciously intend to cause. Communication is key, even if it's uncomfortable. And even if it isn't well-received. At least I tried. I can't just brush shit under the rug and pretend everything's fine, when it's not. Unless I don't give a damn about the person, in which case, everything is fine, because I don't give a damn about them/don't let them affect me.

Will you tell someone if they're upsetting you or you want their behavior to change?

Yes. see above.
I won't tell them outright to change, but I will evaluate the situation with them in a neutral setting, and express how X makes me feel, and be receptive to their feedback/feelings on this. If they actually care about me, and it's something within reason, all they need is to have it brought to their attention to adjust, because they'd want to. And I'd want to do the same for them. It's also constructive in that I might be shown that I misunderstood something, which gives me an opportunity to learn from it.

How do you react when someone picks a fight with you?

I don't get emotionally close to (or I distance myself from) people who resort to 'picking fights.' I find that behavior toxic. It's problem-oriented behavior vs. solution-oriented. I make efforts to address that pattern with them, because some people genuinely don't know how to otherwise get their feelings out. If I can help them with that, cool. If not, then off I go. Some people get a rush out of a fight, and think it's a good place to release stress. I'm not into using people as my emotional punching bag/trashcan, so I'm not receptive to this dynamic at all.

When it's unavoidable- I don't back down or pacify (unless I am extremely sick/exhausted, they're nearby, & I physically need to be left alone/permitted to sleep, etc). I don't get aggravated, either, though. I stay a bit detached (getting upset just impairs your judgement), and observe their behavior. I carefully respond to any questions/complaints they might pose in a rational, respectful way (clarify or make an apology here if I've done something to warrant that), & suggest solutions/ask them to do so as well. This can sometimes make someone more irate, but I refuse to respond in a strong emotional way, because people who 'pick fights' are often indirectly demanding that from me. They're fighting just for its own sake. Part of them tends to want the explosion, so they feel validated/vindicated (not speaking in absolutes, here- just summing up what I often encounter). The last thing I want is to feed emotionally parasitic behavior, whether they're aware of it or not. If they're unwilling/unable to calm down, I inform them that I am removing myself from the discussion, because there's no point in continuing until they're calm. And then I do so. I do clarify that their thoughts matter to me- that I genuinely do care that X is bothering them- but I won't talk unless they are able to be civil.

If it's a physical altercation, I restrain them if I can, & distance myself asap. I don't get mad, though. Too taxing/won't quiet things. I just sort of.. deal with them like a child throwing a tantrum. Most of the time, successfully restraining the person snaps them out of their rage. If I can't restrain them, I don't hesitate to push/strike back until removing myself from their proximity is possible. I've been pretty pissed off when the latter has occurred before, and when it happened with a guy when I was younger, I did hit him one extra time for good measure, strictly out of anger. Not something I'm proud of. I also spit on an old biker guy once, 10yrs ago, when he was repeatedly trying to pick fights with my friends. (we were downtown to see fireworks). He was drunk/high or something.. his gf kept trying to pull him away, & he backhanded her. I just saw red. Called him a shitbag. Spit on him- then he tried to hit me, my friends pulled him away, & I kicked him pretty hard, saying "how the fuck do you like it?" Also not a morally righteous moment, & not anything I would ever do again. I also used to jump into fights when my friend was ambushed by several guys at once. Mostly just hitting/trying to pull them off him, though. I'd do that for anyone I care about without a second thought. I couldn't just watch someone get beaten up in real-time without trying to do something to end it.

Typically I only would respond physically until the person was no longer actively trying to harm me.
Overkill makes me no stronger than them. It's a disgusting weakness to me, to strike out of anger. Feelings alone never excuse/condone an individual's choice to launch a physical or psychological assault on another human being. Hitting back, with words or fists, only perpetuates more vile behavior, and unhappiness/stress. In most cases, there are plenty of alternatives: to either positively assert yourself, encourage healthy behavior, foster mutual growth.. or just walk away from a conflict.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
I really like to hear exactly what is on other people's minds.. but telling others what is on mine is a really hard thing for me because the way people see me really matters to me more than my thoughts. The way people see me immediately affects me. My thoughts can stew and be analyzed for a while. And, while I know that I won't judge others immediately for the things they say, I really don't trust others to give me that same courtesy back. I don't assume people do things the way I do, even though sometimes it is safe to do so. It helps me keep some form of control of my environment.
This was especially interesting to me. ENFPs are keenly aware of the way other people perceive them, aren't they?

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
If I have time to calibrate to someone's communication style, then I can be tolerant of quite rough communication style, but still won't tend to engage in conflict unless I have time to think about it beforehand.

I relate to this a lot. I'm only confrontational when I have had time to think about things for a long time. When people pick fights with me, especially when I'm caught off guard, I'm either conciliatory or I disengage.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This was especially interesting to me. ENFPs are keenly aware of the way other people perceive them, aren't they?

Or at least... many ENFPs are very concerned about how other people perceive them. I don't know how astute we are at actually knowing. I usually tend to think people don't like me, and then find out later they're fine with me, while also not realizing my weaknesses that are evidently clear to others.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
Or at least... many ENFPs are very concerned about how other people perceive them. I don't know how astute we are at actually knowing. I usually tend to think people don't like me, and then find out later they're fine with me, while also not realizing my weaknesses that are evidently clear to others.
I can see that. I know an ENFP that fits this description.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

Yeah, to a fault really. I think more ENFPs type as 3s and 4s because of this trait in particular. (Maybe correctly, maybe not, who knows.)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
However what happens when the confrontation is physical? You don't even have to have any prior experience with the individual, they could be a drunken idiot, or a mugger.

I know this wasn't addressed to me, but.. :unsure: To be honest, I like it. A little.

I don't really like violence, and I don't really desire it at all (outside of petty games like wrestling and sports.. or when I'm drinking vodka apparently..) but if it rears its head into a situation I just react. Later on, I almost get this sense of feeling *good* about it.. Then later I feel bad because the adult in me kicks in and tells me it's not good to resort to violence even if I thought it was justified.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
Thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts! You all are awesome :)

G

garbage

I'll staunchly defend stuff (e.g. a personal stake or a point of view), then try to find good, solid mutual ground, but I typically don't start quarrels.

So, whatever that is.

Being direct and assertive has a way of catching the antagonistic and defensive off-guard :popc1:

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
I'll staunchly defend stuff (e.g. a personal stake or a point of view), then try to find good, solid mutual ground, but I typically don't start quarrels.
Sounds pretty much like me.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am okay with conflict if it's needed to solve a problem. I don't like an elephant in the room. I hate sweeping things under the rug to keep peace. It always rears its ugly head; why pretend it's not there? In which case, honesty is important too. On those questions which ask if you prefer honesty or keeping peace (or something like that), I go with honesty, because what good is peace founded on a lie. That's not real peace, just people repressing their real feelings. I do believe in productive conflict - but I don't think you can get a good end without open communication & giving the benefit of the doubt (not dismissing something because you don't like HOW it was said). I don't do ass-kissing.

I like a bit of debate & banter as long as as it's not degrading or hostile. I'm okay with teasing humor. I've been surprised to see how much other types are more sensitive there (xxFJs seem WAY more sensitive to teasing humor). I get over stuff fast. When I've held a grudge it feels strange, because I'm used to being forgiving. I can complain a lot about people I am/was close to & feel no ill will or grudge towards them. I'm just super idealistic & have high standards; a critical attitude is more indicative of caring than a nice attitude, which is more connected to indifference. It can cause conflict if I refuse to compromise on an ideal & it involves holding someone else to a standard. This is where I don't over-accomodate & I don't feel bad about it because I don't ask a lot from people in day to day life.

I tend to avoid introducing conflict when I feel it may not be valid, that it would be petty or nitpicking. This can lead to me over-accommodating & not speaking up about something that bugs me because I'll keep excusing it in case I am over-reacting & being too sensitive. I sort of invalidate my own feelings sometimes or assume others will.

I also avoid conflict that might lead to me being emotional, because I don't like that vulnerability. This used to make me timid over silly things, like returning an item to a store and fearing they'll give me a hard time about it.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I avoid conflict for the most part. but you take a swing at me, i immediatly swing back. and I don't get intimated easily. and the swings are metaphorical never been in a physical fight

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm confrontational in the heat of the moment. Usually I'm really upbeat and serene. So really it depends on how I feel at the time. For example, I remember two instances where my friends dismissed me inquiring about something because I was "stupid." The first time I laughed with them. I knew they were kidding. The second time I got pissed: "I was just fucking asking blah blah blah." It wasn't even built up, they just made me feel like shit that time even though it wasn't any different. :shrug: I'm also confrontational when something I deeply believe in is violated or when something I'm passionate about is taken lightly.

But I get over things pretty quickly. Don't know why, I just do. Holding contempt for someone is just going to make me feel worse and not get anything done. I prefer my quick bursts of confrontation so I get to say what I want to say when I want to say it. And it can improve my relationships with people to.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Very confrontational. I carry more energy than I know what to do with so have the propensity for antagonizing violent drug addicts I'll spend the next half hour trying to lose on the highway, though fortunately have been blessed by the holy spirit the ability to disappear on command, or just convince others that I'm simply a figment of their imagination. I am a voice.

I'm very non-confrontational on the whole, but have occasional periods of anxiety when I react to perceived attacks and threats with disproportionate paranoia and force.