User Tag List

123 Last

Default "Tell me about yourself."

How do you go about answering the question "Tell me about yourself?" Do you think your response is informed by your type (MBTI or enneagram or whatever)?

You can also answer the question itself.

your resident asshole

Is this a job interview?

I really can't imagine anyone asking this question outside of that context. And even in that context I'm really not fond of the question. It's much too open ended for anything useful to come out of it in that situation.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Im likely to ask the person asking this question to narrow it down. What exactly are you looking for when asking this question? How specific and broad do you want me to get?

And yes, I suppose it would be informed by enneagram and mbti, due to what Ive learned through those tools about myself, but no, I wouldnt bring them unnecessarily.

If you re asking whether each type would answer this question differently, I suppose that could be true. I can see Ts being more suspicious about this question, and Fs going in more detail, particularly Fi perhaps.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    How do you go about answering the question "Tell me about yourself?" Do you think your response is informed by your type (MBTI or enneagram or whatever)?

You can also answer the question itself.

I use an old sales trick called the "personal commercial."

In the sales profession, they say that you should write up and practice a “personal commercial,” i.e., a quick introduction saying who you are and what you’re about. Something you could give in the duration of an elevator ride in case you bumped into someone you wanted to meet.

I use the same thing for meeting people on a daily basis. I include several items of standard personal info: Name, residence (name of town, not specific), what I do for a living (when I worked), where I originally come from and what brought me here, and some basic interests/what I do with my day.

I don’t necessarily dump it all out there in one rush. But that’s my starting point: To get that info out there and then start questioning the other person for the same info from them.

I don't think use of the "personal commercial" is informed by my MBTI. Basically I started using the "personal commercial" because previously I would always fumble situations when I had to introduce myself or talk about myself. Before learning about the "personal commercial," I tended to blank out and have difficulty coming up with much of anything.

'Tell me about yourself' is a cliché, so I would be inclined to answer it with humour.

However I feel the cliché would tell me more about the inquisitor than about me.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think "Tell me about yourself" (where no clarification follows) is just lazy. So, if someone asks me this I will definitely not answer.
    @Victor 's suggestion is also good: answer with humor.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

I think I may have said this before, but its perhaps my least favorite question ever- it's far too vague.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

The reason I asked the question is because I saw the "Tell me about yourself" question on a type me questionnaire somewhere and wondered how people would feel about it.

Like most of you, I dislike this question and usually panic internally when it's asked in job interviews. You would think I would have learned how to answer it smoothly by now.

The creator's justification for putting it in was that people actually do have the freedom to answer it any way they choose without having to answer overly narrow questions that obviously seek confirmation of one type-related characteristic or the other but don't say very much about them as a real, living, breathing person.

On the other hand, it does appear that most people find it too difficult to answer it without any kind of structure to frame their responses. This should be taken into account when asking questions: you can't expect to get useful information out of it if people have no idea how to answer and don't want to try.

I was wondering if anything this open ended would go down well with people at all. How about "Tell me a story about yourself?" Would you prefer that? I think I would.

Terrible question, so vague, what are you supposed to say? "I'm a human being" "I like casseroles and the rain" It causes so much awkwardness.
    I really like cats and food.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    How about "Tell me a story about yourself?" Would you prefer that? I think I would.
    Sure, as long as it wasn't supposed to be hugely representative of who I am. That would be really stressful, trying to come up with one anecdote to sum up your personality.