User Tag List

First 123 Last

Ginkgo

It seems like the easiest way for me to honestly tell someone about who I am is to inform them of my personal history. At face value, I imagine this information is a dry means of sidestepping the essence of the question, but I'd rather leave it up to them to make their own inferences and conclusions about my character than to convince myself that the contrived description I give them is true. Descriptions of personal history also offer measurable proof of my past abilities and skillsets, which ventures into territory closer to who I am, since abilities are more or less the footprints someone will leave on the world.

I do think my answer would be formed by my knowledge of my enneagram/mbti type. I think I've actually done this a few times but I wasn't satisfied with my description or how I appeared to have made an impression on the person I was speaking with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    It seems like the easiest way for me to honestly tell someone about who I am is to inform them of my personal history. At face value, I imagine this information is a dry means of sidestepping the essence of the question, but I'd rather leave it up to them to make their own inferences and conclusions about my character than to convince myself that the contrived description I give them is true. Descriptions of personal history also offer measurable proof of my past abilities and skillsets, which ventures into territory closer to who I am, since abilities are more or less the footprints someone will leave on the world.

I do think my answer would be formed by my knowledge of my enneagram/mbti type. I think I've actually done this a few times but I wasn't satisfied with my description or how I appeared to have made an impression on the person I was speaking with.
    Bravo, Ginkgo. You get a gold star for actually answering the question in the OP. And a too.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    Bravo, Ginkgo. You get a gold star for actually answering the question in the OP. And a too.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

"Who are you" is SO much worse.

How I answer the OP question depends on the situation. If it's a job interview, I answer based on the characteristics and experience that the interviewer is looking for. (I will have prepared an elevator pitch in advance.) If it's someone I'm networking with, I'll give an elevator pitch, too. But if it's some random person I'm getting to know, I'll probably give my name, where I'm from, my educational background (since I don't have a job yet), and that'll be enough to get us started in a conversation. If not, I'll keep going to talk about my interests and the activities that I enjoy.

Edit: I think this is, in fact, type-related, because of how much my decision re: what to say is based on results. What do I want to achieve, in answering this question? What do I want them to think of me? What will get a conversation going? Honesty is implied, but it's more a matter of deciding how I spin the facts, and which facts I emphasize.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I like to answer it by throwing out a bunch of weird, random facts about myself:

I can name the US states in alphabetical order. I speak French. My favorite color is blue. I've been a member of a hung jury. I was born in Arizona. I have two dogs. My favorite flowers are daffodils and lilacs. I've showered at a truck stop. I play the flute. I know how to use a sword. I'm addicted to coffee. Chocolate chip cookies are my favorite dessert. I met my husband online. I love Star Trek. I enjoy line dancing. I don't paint my nails.... and so on and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    "Who are you" is SO much worse.
    Definitely! There is no good way to answer this question. Either you can simplify and answer with the symbol that represents you in your totality (i.e. your name), which likely gives the person no new information, or you can list of every single thing about yourself, which is obviously impossible, but is also the only accurate way to answer the question.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

garbage

"I'm an ENFJ. Look it up."

I guess that answer would be type-related

I usually answer "I like long walks on the beach," because that's the quickest way to let the person asking the question know I'm a jackass.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Typically, if it's job-related, I'd answer as Tater would.. as that's the most apt response for a broad inquiry like this. I don't really attribute this to knowing my type; it's been the same formula since I started working at 14. Know what people want, share what you've done to illustrate what you're capable of and willing to do/learn. /shrug
    Knowing MBTI didn't change anything really- it merely added terms for a kind of understanding that was already there, if that makes sense.

When it's a stranger who asks me, "Tell me about yourself," or [I moved a lot growing up] - when teachers tried to make me answer this.. I used to stumble through my hobbies, where I was from.. etc. Scraping around my mental filing cabinet for something that "fit." Eyes darting about the classroom, glancing at desktops as if the answers would be there. Hated it. Sometime in elementary school I started asking "why?" instead. I kind of understood back then that disciplinary action in elementary school had no actual bearing on my life (there is no "Permenant Record" - the after-school-specials lied, guys). So part of me stopped caring about how uncomfortable asking "why?" made people. I knew I wasn't truly doing something "wrong." This didn't earn me more or less friends, but sometimes it seemed to gain me some respect from people, including teachers, however most of them seemed irritated more than anything else.

I've done the same thing ever since. I go to see a friend's band play a show at a bar.. unfamiliars arrive, as well. One picks up conversation with me. "Tell me about yourself," or "What's your major?" "Where are you from?" I always ask "Why?" - and smile a bit at the pause, the flicker in their eye when the thought track gets shoved over, the vinyl scratch. Then I usually take apart that very introductory social protocol, noting how awkward stock questions can be, making some jokes here and there, point out that I'm a social retard, & more or less accept it. Seems to loosen things up. The person tends to stop fishing for questions/words, and we begin organically interacting (vs just exchanging info lists) like we've known eachother for much longer than we have. Either that, or they give me a blank look and get uncomfortable with the unexpected response.. but that's been sort of rare. In the end, no one's night seems wrecked, no one's offended, so.. I just go with it my own way. I do try to be nice to people no matter what, but, just because a stranger asks doesn't mean I owe them an answer, either way.. I don't particularly mind. The majority of the time, though, refusing to really answer that question seems to sufficiently answer it simultaneously, and we both pick up a new friend or pleasant acquaintance to say hello to at the next show.

Again, I dunno if that has anything to do with knowing my type (doubtful) - I also don't bring MBTI up to people in regular conversation.

I haven't spent much time around anyone beyond my insane family, and doctors for far too long.. so I'm interested in seeing how I'll handle interacting with the world again. Probably going to be a big twitchy weirdo for awhile.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Hypothesis: This question is easier to answer for Fi dom/auxes than Ti dom/auxes.

As for me, I'm not a fan. The answers I give all make me sound incredibly dull, even though I don't think I am. The question also comes up on first dates, too, not just job interviews.

Two more I loathe: Tell me about your hobbies. What do you like to do?

How about letting these things come up organically over the course of getting to know someone instead of trying to get spur of the moment answers that are likely to be inaccurate?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I'm just a squirrel tryna get a nut.