• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Another Reason That Dichotomies Can Be Confusing

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Maybe it's my own limited view of dichotomies, but I responded to Sunshine's inquiry on shyness based on what we normally see as E/I results. Jung's definition never discusses gregariousness or even the direction of energy. Instead he simply says that extraverts focus and take into account the object (anything outside themselves) whereas introverts don't. I originally pasted his definitions, but they're too long. If anyone would like to read them and compare, they can be found again at this site.

I have been wondering for some time whether I am dismissing ESTP because of my limiting view of E/I. I really would like some pro and con feedback from varied theories. One I am considering strongly is Berens' interaction styles.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
I haven't time (or motivation) to read the whole definitions now, but I'll definitely come back.

But I wanted to say: It's difficult, because there are different theories out there. Which are all using the same scale. And for someone like me, who's on the borderline, the subtle differences actually make a big impact on our reported type.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I end up being an INFP according to Kiersey but an ENFP according to MBTI.

What, then, do I call myself?

MBTI Type
ENTP
There is one and one reason alone for dichotomies to be confusing: Kierkegaard's "Either/Or"

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I haven't time (or motivation) to read the whole definitions now, but I'll definitely come back.

But I wanted to say: It's difficult, because there are different theories out there. Which are all using the same scale. And for someone like me, who's on the borderline, the subtle differences actually make a big impact on our reported type.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I end up being an INFP according to Kiersey but an ENFP according to MBTI.

What, then, do I call myself?
And this is what it boils down to, personal choice on whose theory you choose to follow. In my case I see no reason to go beyond the original theory which is Jung. With that being said, I am in agreement that not only are his definitions long, but quite abstract. Yet again we have been led to believe that the E/I focuses the energy outward/inward respectively, but Jung merely says that E/I focuses on and makes decisions based on, the objective/subjective and never refers to energy. Thanks. I am hopeful that this will get some recognition and discussion which may help alot of people that recognize their also being bordering on the attitude.