User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: MBTI

  1. #1
    Junior Member Oblivious's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    MBTI
    ????
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sp
    Posts
    19

    Default MBTI

    This is a topic that whirls inside my mind quite often and I am sure that there is a plentitude of people that have found interest in MBTI for any reason, so here are some questions that have come to mind, I would also like to ask for recommendations for books that are of interest.

    How has MBTI helped you?

    What were you're reactions when you found out your type?

    Is it consistent in your perspective?

    What dichotomy has created the greatest divide?

    How did you find mbti?

  2. #2
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivious View Post
    How did you find mbti?
    Mbti found me, for Geoff invited me to a well run and tolerant site and it turned out to be an mbti site.

    Of course I was fascinated, but it all boiled down to one question: is mbti true?

    And alas, mbti has no more truth value than astrology, in fact mbti is astrology for the college educated.

  3. #3
    Senior Member zago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivious View Post
    This is a topic that whirls inside my mind quite often and I am sure that there is a plentitude of people that have found interest in MBTI for any reason, so here are some questions that have come to mind, I would also like to ask for recommendations for books that are of interest.

    How has MBTI helped you?
    It has given me greater self acceptance and peace with other people because I understand differences better. To a small extent it also makes people more predictable.

    What were you're reactions when you found out your type?
    Excited to find something that correctly understood me, excited that I belong to a group, proud of the qualities of my type.

    Is it consistent in your perspective?
    Yes.

    What dichotomy has created the greatest divide?
    Not sure what this means. I'll guess and say that I find the greatest divide with ESTJs.

    How did you find mbti?
    It was so long ago I don't even remember. I think I must have taken an online personality test when I was in my early teens.
    Bolded.

  4. #4
    Infinite Bubble
    Guest

    Default

    How has MBTI helped you?
    It has allowed me to understand myself in non-personal quantitative terms that can be compared to others, and in turn is a fairly easy way to understand others under the framework. To be honest though, it hasn't been necessarily that helpful, merely my curiosity in the theory itself (and other typology subjects) and its concepts sustains my interest.

    What were you're reactions when you found out your type?
    I am not the type of person where everything simply 'clicked' when I found it out, so my reaction was not anything more profound as me quietly thinking "interesting..."

    Is it consistent in your perspective?
    The original theory outline was probably quite consistent, although in some certain points a victim of the Forer effect, but through other sources (such as inadequate type descriptions) I find some information inconsistent and contradictory to each other.

    What dichotomy has created the greatest divide?
    I personally do not go by pure MBTI and its dichotomies often (preferring JCF), but on the internet especially, there is a great divide between Intuitors and Sensors. Nobody wants to be an S due to its extremely derogatory descriptions, cited as boring, predictable, unoriginal sheep, and the N's being intelligent, original, creative freethinkers. I believe this has caused a collective delusion on the internet surrounding the supposed superiority of Intuitors, and as such prejudices have formed consciously or unconsciously in many peoples minds against Sensors.

    How did you find mbti?
    Through one of the horrendous online personality tests when I Googled "personality test", one fateful day. It was only about a year or so ago, now that I think about it.

  5. #5
    Junior Member Oblivious's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    MBTI
    ????
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sp
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    Bolded.
    Did you find the theory overall to be consistent or are there certain areas that caught your eye? In my opinion the cognitive functions are more consistent than type desciptions, there is less gray area among them, although this may be my view, the reason why I say this is I've heard people can relate to the individual cog functions more easily than the type desciptions although they may misinterpret the descriptions and type themselves incorrectly. What are your thoughts?
    Oh boy...

  6. #6
    Junior Member Oblivious's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    MBTI
    ????
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sp
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    It has allowed me to understand myself in non-personal quantitative terms that can be compared to others, and in turn is a fairly easy way to understand others under the framework. To be honest though, it hasn't been necessarily that helpful, merely my curiosity in the theory itself (and other typology subjects) and its concepts sustains my interest.



    I am not the type of person where everything simply 'clicked' when I found it out, so my reaction was not anything more profound as me quietly thinking "interesting..."



    The original theory outline was probably quite consistent, although in some certain points a victim of the Forer effect, but through other sources (such as inadequate type descriptions) I find some information inconsistent and contradictory to each other.



    I personally do not go by pure MBTI and its dichotomies often (preferring JCF), but on the internet especially, there is a great divide between Intuitors and Sensors. Nobody wants to be an S due to its extremely derogatory descriptions, cited as boring, predictable, unoriginal sheep, and the N's being intelligent, original, creative freethinkers. I believe this has caused a collective delusion on the internet surrounding the supposed superiority of Intuitors, and as such prejudices have formed consciously or unconsciously in many peoples minds against Sensors.



    Through one of the horrendous online personality tests when I Googled "personality test", one fateful day. It was only about a year or so ago, now that I think about it.
    I enjoyed reading your responses very insightful and very true, I feel that definetley N vs S situation has caused MBTI to become some sort of twisted contest and took away from it's exploratory essence, and I also believe that people forget about their own unique stamp and forge themselves to be someone else entirely and on route forget who they are completely.
    Oh boy...

  7. #7
    Junior Member Oblivious's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    MBTI
    ????
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sp
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Mbti found me, for Geoff invited me to a well run and tolerant site and it turned out to be an mbti site.

    Of course I was fascinated, but it all boiled down to one question: is mbti true?

    And alas, mbti has no more truth value than astrology, in fact mbti is astrology for the college educated.
    Isn't MBTI amazing? Eventhough there is no proving it I feel it has solidified itself on its own through the behaviors of people, and has actually helped me relate to people on a different level, or I guess understand them better and to see where people are coming from, and become more tolerant to their quirks as a result my self presentation has also improved because of this understanding of people.
    Oh boy...

  8. #8
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivious View Post
    How has MBTI helped you?
    I suppose it has introduced me to interesting people with different perspectives and thoughts. But there isn't much it helped me with, that I and others weren't already on the track to helping myself with in the first place.

    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivious View Post
    What were you're reactions when you found out your type?
    Still not found it, probably never will, because the system is too unproven and too rigid, or in some iterations it is too flimsy. There needs to be more empiricism.

    However at first I was skeptical, then interested, then briefly elated, soon to be followed by derision. My first type was INFP on an online test.

    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivious View Post
    Is it consistent in your perspective?
    No. It is all over the place and too open to interpretation on a number of levels, even if a person can narrow down the inaccurate and biased sides of the theory it's still a giant mess that changes with every engagement.

    The ridiculous amount of types each person seems to come up with for myself is a great example of this.

    I really would like to know how some people on here can be so certain?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivious View Post
    What dichotomy has created the greatest divide?
    No idea. The dichotomies mean little to me. The functions have always appealed more but even those suffer from the same issues. There is just too much information to narrow motivations and cognition down to a series of 8 functions in 16 combinations.

    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivious View Post
    How did you find mbti?
    I found it while searching for more purpose in my life, for something that could help give me more of a path and, dare I say it, guidance.

    This is of course about as cliche as can be. But I meant it sincerely. Nowadays I am just meandering around. I suppose it helped, but it also caused other problems as well.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  9. #9
    Junior Member Oblivious's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    MBTI
    ????
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sp
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I suppose it has introduced me to interesting people with different perspectives and thoughts. But there isn't much it helped me with, that I and others weren't already on the track to helping myself with in the first place.



    Still not found it, probably never will, because the system is too unproven and too rigid, or in some iterations it is too flimsy. There needs to be more empiricism.

    However at first I was skeptical, then interested, then briefly elated, soon to be followed by derision. My first type was INFP on an online test.



    No. It is all over the place and too open to interpretation on a number of levels, even if a person can narrow down the inaccurate and biased sides of the theory it's still a giant mess that changes with every engagement.

    The ridiculous amount of types each person seems to come up with for myself is a great example of this.

    I really would like to know how some people on here can be so certain?



    No idea. The dichotomies mean little to me. The functions have always appealed more but even those suffer from the same issues. There is just too much information to narrow motivations and cognition down to a series of 8 functions in 16 combinations.



    I found it while searching for more purpose in my life, for something that could help give me more of a path and, dare I say it, guidance.

    This is of course about as cliche as can be. But I meant it sincerely. Nowadays I am just meandering around. I suppose it helped, but it also caused other problems as well.
    I enjoyed very much reading your point of view, although I think your right that to some extent MBTI is inconsisent, but I feel it has to do more with peoples own biases, and there own interpretations of what the cognitive functions definitions are and they misinterpet their meanings and create totally different principals for the desciptions, but the theory itself is pretty solid in the sense of how the functions affect each type and how they use them in situations and how they progress to use the weaker functions which also bring for misinterpretation because I read time after time how ENFPs developed Se to a good exent now granted in ENFPs Se isn't useless but it is the eighth function, and so in my belief people is what makes MBTI inconsistent but it's a theory so yes people will find routes to find different meanings to it and it's significance to them, and I need to mention because of everything MBTI can mean people tend to add their own principals and ideas making for a giant mess.
    Oh boy...

  10. #10
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivious View Post
    I enjoyed very much reading your point of view, although I think your right that to some extent MBTI is inconsisent, but I feel it has to do more with peoples own biases, and there own interpretations of what the cognitive functions definitions are and they misinterpet their meanings and create totally different principals for the desciptions, but the theory itself is pretty solid in the sense of how the functions affect each type and how they use them in situations and how they progress to use the weaker functions which also bring for misinterpretation because I read time after time how ENFPs developed Se to a good exent now granted in ENFPs Se isn't useless but it is the eighth function, and so in my belief people is what makes MBTI inconsistent but it's a theory so yes people will find routes to find different meanings to it and it's significance to them, and I need to mention because of everything MBTI can mean people tend to add their own principals and ideas making for a giant mess.
    So what is your type?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] mbti book recommendation for my nephew
    By rocco in forum Typology and Psychology Book Reviews
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-15-2017, 08:27 PM
  2. MBTI appeal of Death Note anime?
    By Economica in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 171
    Last Post: 12-25-2015, 03:42 PM
  3. MBTI & FFM correlations?
    By marm in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-09-2009, 09:19 AM
  4. MBTI vs the MBTI Step II test
    By Totenkindly in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-31-2008, 09:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO