• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How has developing your secondary function changed you?

meshou

MBTI Type
INXP
I don't know.

I've had some sort of intuition as long as I can remember, and I was definitely a thinking kid. I was an extraverted child until I started interacting with peers, and then withdrew.

The only concious development I've been doing lately is sensory-oriented. I've been glad of having been a waitress and delivering papers-- you must be very detail oriented, very able to remember things. I've been figuring out how to get organized enough to clean, getting into yoga, all that.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
To the contaire, I was not implying ENTP. You just jumped all over the Se type function.

I'm not sure how you got that from what I wrote, but it did make me look up the profile differences. What I meant was that I want to make connections that deal with the outerworld rather than internalise it. (The quotes I used was nearly directly from an ENTP profile, FWIW.)

Though interestingly enough, the ISTP profile at CAPT fits well. So does the INTP profile. And the ENTP profile. I could even stretch to ESTP, if I ignore the energy part. Of all the profiles there, I probably do reflect ISTP most though; except for the hands on part. I have to force myself to do that. I don't disagree with any of the INTP parts, however... but they aren't as descriptive as the ISTP, in terms of keywords.

Ironically, I don't fit into INFP or ISFP. Yet, if you measure each of my traits, T is the only one that is remotely arguable in terms of strength.

So I think when it comes to functional theory, I sorta just exist as... "Meh". I don't believe in it, the more I read about it, the more I apply it, the more I realise that I was "Forer"ing myself into the breakdown.

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm a bit older, so my Ne is already fairly well developed. I found that it gave me a better world view. I was able to consider things other than my own narrow scope. It made me search for meaning to things in the world and in my life. I have found some answers ... still looking for more.

I am currently in the midst of developing my tertiary Si. I love experiencing the moods and ambiences of different places and situations ... often relating them to my past. I have also become more detail oriented internally. I've also taken a recent interest in photography, which I believe is closely related to Si.

I dare say that my inferior Fe is also developing a bit, although still in it's adolescent stages. I'm starting to open myself up and finding warm, caring relationships. Also, small things like letting music cheer me up ... whereas before, I would revel in dark music when I was depressed. Mood (feeling) is no longer something which is set in stone. It can be changed. That has helped a lot with depression.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
P, the fact that you are open to this makes me think you are. Intuitives seem to want to be anyone or anything other than their true selves. It's why I find it comical when forums think that SPs want to be intuitives.

Without reading other posts, I will say the debates between you and I, show you to be highly linear in your thinking, not all over the place as most INTPs are to me. You also are not afraid of admitting that when you state an opinion, but mostly you refer to facts and evidence to support your informed thoughts. Most INTPs throw it out there and change the subject when caught at sharp practice. Try this description of ISTP. I like these because they are written in the first person, and void of the sterotypical BS (ie, mechanical, athletic, surfer dudes, etc.).

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
In Charge:ENTJ, ESTJ, ESTP, ENFJ
Get Things Going: ENTP, ESFJ, ESFP, ENFP
Chart The Course: INTJ, ISTJ, ISTP, INFJ
Behind The Scenes: INTP, ISFJ, ISFP, INFP

I see no reason why the ISFJ should be behind the scenes and ISTP chart the course.

ISTPs only chart the course because their third function is Ni, but thats not their main thing. Their main thing is the Ti work behind the scenes.

ISFJs can work behind the scenes for the same reason as ISTPs chart the course, tertiary Ti, but their main quality is the Si--chart the course.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
P, the fact that you are open to this makes me think you are. Intuitives seem to want to be anyone or anything other than their true selves. It's why I find it comical when forums think that SPs want to be intuitives.

Without reading other posts, I will say the debates between you and I, show you to be highly linear in your thinking, not all over the place as most INTPs are to me. You also are not afraid of admitting that when you state an opinion, but mostly you refer to facts and evidence to support your informed thoughts. Most INTPs throw it out there and change the subject when caught at sharp practice. Try this description of ISTP. I like these because they are written in the first person, and void of the sterotypical BS (ie, mechanical, athletic, surfer dudes, etc.).

That's very interesting, actually... Let me think on it.

(Edit: I ran a test, can see the results here. As I say there, I highly doubt I am ISTP based on those descriptions.)

Have you taken any of the Five factor model tests/big five? Do you know what you scored on openness, if you have?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj

Interesting thought... It seems to me like intuitives want to be more than themselves where as sensors are happy (mostly) being who they are/doesn't want to change too much. I guess it's safe to say neither type can fully comprehend the picture from the other side... Hence our false notions that sensors are better off being intuitives.

Anyways, I was going off topic...

OT, how has developing my secondary function change me... Hmmmm I have to say I probably started on that process back when I was in elementary school prior to knowing what on earth functions are. So my record might not exactly be accurate. Nonetheless, Fe is a way of relating to other people. Instead of just random Ni ideas being generated that goes nowhere... Fe provides a means of connecting it to the world. I'm still a daydreamer... only I have slightly more focus to get through school and get work done.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I see no reason why the ISFJ should be behind the scenes and ISTP chart the course.

ISTPs only chart the course because their third function is Ni, but thats not their main thing. Their main thing is the Ti work behind the scenes.

ISFJs can work behind the scenes for the same reason as ISTPs chart the course, tertiary Ti, but their main quality is the Si--chart the course.
That made no sense Blue, intution has nothing to do with it since ISTJ is also a Chart the Course type. It appears that you are basing the fact that ISFJ should be categorized in the same style, due to being J. The theory is broken down by temperament. Besides, ISTPs can be very directive in their communication, when a crises arises, and need to see movement. I think reading the booklet may give you an understanding of why the theory is broken down by temperament.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That made no sense Blue, intution has nothing to do with it since ISTJ is also a Chart the Course type. It appears that you are basing the fact that ISFJ should be categorized in the same style, due to being J. The theory is broken down by temperament. Besides, ISTPs can be very directive in their communication, when a crises arises, and need to see movement. I think reading the booklet may give you an understanding of why the theory is broken down by temperament.

ISTJ is the chart the course type because of Introverted Perceiving (Si/Ni), in this case Si. ISFJ should be categorized the same way because it is led by the same function as the ISTJ.

ISTPs can be directive because they are superior Thinkers.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
ISTJ is the chart the course type because of Introverted Perceiving (Si/Ni), in this case Si. ISFJ should be categorized the same way because it is led by the same function as the ISTJ.
I am not following your leap here. Why do you believe that the interaction styles are broken down that way? Granted, in lieu of Keirsey's theory, the Myers-Briggs breaks the two letter dichotomies based simply on sensing/intuition and thinking/feeling. In that case, all EJs would be In Charge, all EPs Get Things Going, all IJs Chart The Course and all IPs Behind The Scenes. However IRL, my wife is ISFJ and she definitely has a Behind The Scenes Interaction Style.
ISTPs can be directive because they are superior Thinkers.
Well thank you, but it's the theme that correlates with ITJs, INFJ and ISTP that makes them Chart The Course:
The theme is having a course of action to follow. People of this stylefocus on knowing what to do and keeping themselves, the group, or the project on track. They prefer to enter a situation having an idea of what is to happen. They identify a process to accomplish a goal and have a somewhat contained tension as they work to create and monitor a plan. The aim is not the plan itself, but to use it as a guide to move things along toward the goal. Their informed and deliberate decisions are based on analyzing, outlining, conceptualizing or foreseeing what needs to be done.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Until I began developing Fe, I was all drifty. Fe has provided me with a compass and a framework for forming opinions and making decisions.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am not following your leap here. Why do you believe that the interaction styles are broken down that way? Granted, in lieu of Keirsey's theory, the Myers-Briggs breaks the two letter dichotomies based simply on sensing/intuition and thinking/feeling. In that case, all EJs would be In Charge, all EPs Get Things Going, all IJs Chart The Course and all IPs Behind The Scenes. However IRL, my wife is ISFJ and she definitely has a Behind The Scenes Interaction Style.Well thank you, but it's the theme that correlates with ITJs, INFJ and ISTP that makes them Chart The Course:

Introverted Perceiving as I understand, is about collecting information as it relates to us. (Much like Introverted Judgment is about seeing how logic or personal values stand in relation to us).

Hence if we say that INTJ is a quintissential chart the course, it follows that the ISTJ, as an introverted perceiver, also has this quality, though does not see as far.

They probably wont be behind the scenes because those usually focus well on some internal goal, or something thats only in their heads. (So, Fi/Ti). Put an Si/Ni in their position, they wont be able to stay so internally focused, their minds will drift.

Get things going? Nah, they dont have this enterprising quality that ESTPs and ENTPs have. (So Se/Ne). And certainly not in charge for the ISTJ. I can see how somebody could say that the ISTJ should be the man in charge because of their TJ(Te), but lets keep in mind that Te is a secondary function for them not the former. ESTJ and ENTJs are in charge because their Te is first.

So in the end we are left with nowhere to go for the ISTJ but chart the course.

And what I meant by ISTP being superior thinker was not that they are better thinkers than everyone else, just that their first(superior to the other 3 functions that are salient in their temperament) function is Thinking.

I am not saying that everything fits neatly into each mould, it is just that the in Charge is more compatible with Te than Si, not that Si-Te is not compatible with it at all, just less than Te-Si.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Mature Te has allowed me to refine the manner in which I say "That's stupid" whenever an INTP makes a suggestion.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Mature Te has allowed me to refine the manner in which I say "That's stupid" whenever an INTP makes a suggestion.

So accuracy of thought that is? Te helped you better find the idea that you were looking for and the right words to express it?

And why INTP and not ENTP, the latter should be higher up on the way of making those suggestions that you seem to have in mind.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I was funning!

If there is anything to this speculation, focusing on Te over the last two years ended what, in hindsight, appears to have been a misplaced reliance on Fi.