• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you recognize Ti?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How do you recognize that someone is dominant or auxiliary Ti? This is not always fully evident to me. I can generally recognize Te pretty easily but Ti seems more difficult. Also, in asking this question, I mean how to do you recognize this in isolation? It is easy to look at the characteristics of someone who uses Ti and Ne and blend characteristics of those two together. Whatever you do to recognize it should work equally well for an ISTP as well as for an ENTP and an INTP for example.

R

RDF

How do you recognize that someone is dominant or auxiliary Ti? This is not always fully evident to me. I can generally recognize Te pretty easily but Ti seems more difficult. Also, in asking this question, I mean how to do you recognize this in isolation? It is easy to look at the characteristics of someone who uses Ti and Ne and blend characteristics of those two together. Whatever you do to recognize it should work equally well for an ISTP as well as for an ENTP and an INTP for example.

Short answer: Generally, I usually register T as an absence of F.

For example, many people mistype T women as Feelers because T women often get good at doing the “soft girly” thing through practice. But as an F myself, I can often spot the lack of true F in such women: I see that there’s still a hard edge there, I see that they don’t “dote” on people or things, I see a lack of softness in how they compete or in their humor or whatever. (I’m not saying that a T’s hard edge is a bad thing; I like it, in fact. Mainly I’m just saying that I register a difference...)

What I said above may seem like an unfair answer to the OP, that is, defining the presence of Ti as the absence of F. But actually I went to the books, and they said pretty much the same thing. Obviously Ti is about logic and objective analysis; but Ti is an introverted function, so the “logic aspect” may not appear in a form that’s obvious to outside observers. So what’s left for the outside observer to see? Well, Ti is so self-contained that the outward features of Ti include calmness, impersonality, imperviousness to criticism or drama, obliviousness to "the human element," etc., in other words a lack of F drama and reactivity. And that gets back to what I was saying at the start of my post...

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do they hit my ENTP built-in radar? No/yes

If yes, verify for trolling INFP male potential (false positive protocol).

If no, verify for detached mental masturbation.

If yes = Ti-user, proceed with caution.

(further protocols can be run to determine exact type :coffee:)

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, Ti is so self-contained that the outward features of Ti include calmness, impersonality, imperviousness to criticism or drama, obliviousness to "the human element," etc., in other words a lack of F drama and reactivity. And that gets back to what I was saying at the start of my post...

:laugh:

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Ti nitpicker. I meant an impersonal approach, not a lack of personality.:)

It was funnier when I didn't know.

Really, what you said made a lot of sense to me.

R

RDF

It was funnier when I didn't know.

Really, what you said made a lot of sense to me.

Thanks. Your smiley made me look at what I wrote in a new light. It took me a few seconds to figure out what you were laughing at. But once I saw it, I was laughing too.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think IXTJs can be nitpickers too though.

Is the context/reasoning behind it usually the same? Can you see a difference maybe in how/when/why they do it? If so, that may help.

valentine

MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
From what I can tell the ti users nitpick the logic involved, the ixtj's pull apart the stupidity involved.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
When you feel a sharp sudden pain in your testes after someone has finished saying something...
...That's Ti, baby.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Since no one is being impartial, it's kinda like Te, but non-invasive and much more informative.

:yesss:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

For example, many people mistype T women as Feelers because T women often get good at doing the “soft girly” thing through practice. But as an F myself, I can often spot the lack of true F in such women: I see that there’s still a hard edge there, I see that they don’t “dote” on people or things, I see a lack of softness in how they compete or in their humor or whatever. (I’m not saying that a T’s hard edge is a bad thing; I like it, in fact. Mainly I’m just saying that I register a difference...)

I have a tough time with women in work situations. I feel like I can tell F or T preference, but it is often difficult for the reasons you describe. I like the "absence of F".

Well, Ti is so self-contained that the outward features of Ti include calmness, impersonality, imperviousness to criticism or drama, obliviousness to "the human element," etc., in other words a lack of F drama and reactivity. And that gets back to what I was saying at the start of my post...

The thing is IXTJs also can outwardly demonstrate calmness, impersonality, imperviousness to criticism or drama and obliviousness to the human element

From what I can tell the ti users nitpick the logic involved, the ixtj's pull apart the stupidity involved.

I nitpick people's writing. Clarity, getting to the point, grammar, messaging and things like that. Vague generalizations drive me nuts and wrong is worse. ISTJs come across as nitpicking accuracy, sometimes of things I feel are irrelevant. Those are two very different kinds of nitpicking of Te types.

I can see how a Ti user would pick apart the logic. I don't really do that except for when someone communicates a conclusion with absolute certainty with poor or no reasoning. It's ok to say you think a thing to be true but not to have clearly identified reasons but it is not ok to be certain in a conclusion with nothing to back it up.

R

RDF

The thing is IXTJs also can outwardly demonstrate calmness, impersonality, imperviousness to criticism or drama and obliviousness to the human element

Well, Te has its own set of characteristics which are much easier to spot than Ti since Te operates in the outer world: Decisiveness, organization, and other judger-type features. So I was discounting Te in my description of Ti.

So I guess a fuller description of Ti (as seen by an outside observer) would be the absence of F and also the absence of Te. in other words: a certain "hard edge" plus a perceiver-ish habit of temporizing (lack of decisiveness and organization). Something like that.

[Edit:] And the nitpick thing was just a joke aimed at digesthisickness. I wasn't really considering nitpicking as a marker for Ti; though perhaps for a discriminating observer it might provide a clue in one direction or another.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

What I said above may seem like an unfair answer to the OP, that is, defining the presence of Ti as the absence of F. But actually I went to the books, and they said pretty much the same thing. Obviously Ti is about logic and objective analysis; but Ti is an introverted function, so the “logic aspect” may not appear in a form that’s obvious to outside observers. So what’s left for the outside observer to see? Well, Ti is so self-contained that the outward features of Ti include calmness, impersonality, imperviousness to criticism or drama, obliviousness to "the human element," etc., in other words a lack of F drama and reactivity. And that gets back to what I was saying at the start of my post...
I see Data as the "T" ideal, so I have never quite shared in the assumption that Thinkers have hard edges. I think anger produces hard edges and is possibly the most subjective state of mind.

My understanding is that Te will tend to rely more on established information by using more external references, and being able to organize and categorize the relationships between defined knowledge. Ti is focused more on the system of logic and does more internal processing of information to establish fact. Because of this internal sense of logic, there can be a greater tendency to create individualized definitions and premises that are not universally accepted knowledge. I tend to see Ti-doms a bit more focused on establishing the definitions of terms in debate because individuals can allow these to drift while constructing their own inner sense of logic. I have seen Ti-doms be more concerned with the correct process of logic rather than on the verifiability of the conclusions that are run through their logic machine. I see Te as more equally concerned with the accuracy of conclusions including how they map to the external world. Ti also seems concerned with the conceptual efficiency of an idea and Te with the practicality of an idea.

S

Society

How do you recognize that someone is dominant or auxiliary Ti? This is not always fully evident to me. I can generally recognize Te pretty easily but Ti seems more difficult. Also, in asking this question, I mean how to do you recognize this in isolation? It is easy to look at the characteristics of someone who uses Ti and Ne and blend characteristics of those two together. Whatever you do to recognize it should work equally well for an ISTP as well as for an ENTP and an INTP /for example.

the easiest way for me (TP) to spot a TJ is to first notice the commonality - someone with an equal tension towards cognitive dissonance (anything that doesn't make sense), but instead of exploring the matter until it starts make sense, they make active plans to eradicate it from their lives.

maybe the reverse can work for you?

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
When somebody asks "Define X first", it's Ti.

When somebody says "X doesn't work", it's Te.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Te-Si: "Stop bothering me with an unpractical idea!"

Si-Te: "It's not working, so I have to kill you now."

Te-Ni: "It won't work! Next suggestion, please?"

Ni-Te: "It's a shame that this can not work. Too bad."

Ti-Se: "Your reasoning is illogical and hence must be discarded".

Se-Ti: "I don't have much time to spend on absurdities, pal!"

Ti-Ne: "It's absurd! Unless, of course, you invent a new logical frame for it..."

Ne-Ti: "Absurdities are cool!"

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As far as the couple of Ti dominants I've known personally go: sees the world in terms of what personally makes sense to the user and how it does. There is a pulling back from influences that might cloud this ability, but with time and age, more gets worked into the grand scheme, including feelings and concepts they used to resist.