User Tag List

First 234

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I think IXTJs can be nitpickers too though.

Nitpicking is the spice of life. Oh wait, no, that's variety. Well, just nitpick about a variety of things and you'll cover all bases.

I'm not entirely convinced that nitpicking is necessarily a sign of Ti.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

The Iron Giant

I think I can usually pick Ti out from someone's explanation of something, particularly if they go deep enough where there's lots of text to sample. Ti users seem to have these really locked down personal positions on systems, but also have a really hard time translating these positions into words, to the point of their own frustration. It's a lot like Fi in this way. If you have a look at Jung's writings about type for example, it's incredibly dense and detailed, but there's a clear sense (at least to me) that this is something he understands really intimately without being able to fully convey in words. So he gets really wordy, but seems to feel compelled to add detail and even backpedal on some of it. I'll be thinking, "OK Carl, I get it, you're good. Let it go."

Another red flag for me with Ti doms in particular is trouble understanding Fi... and vice versa, as well. Again with Jung, if you read his description of the introverted feeling type, you may get the same impression I did: that he doesn't understand Fi at all.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

It's generally hard to spot Ti in an individual. What's easier to do is if you can spot their first and third function, and decide that they use Ti by default. For example I was mistyped as ENFP for a long time, but I was able to recognize that I use Fe very well and don't use Fi at all, and I was clearly an Ne dom. So by default, I knew that I was a Ti user. Also, look at the Ti vs. Te arguing style: the Te users will often times use objective facts when arguing and the Ti users will nitpick at others logic. Also, I've noticed that Ti user's style of solving problems is to play with something to get it to work and the Te style is to research and consult experts in the field. Ti users are often very particular about the way that they word things as well, and are very gifted at being able to find the perfect words to describe anything. Ti also trusts it's own individual sense of logic, where Te users tend to trust the group logic, the facts, and the experts in the field. Ti users are also very good at disassembling physical objects, concepts, ideas, etc, and figuring out how they work. They are often mechanically gifted as well (but that's more biased towards the xstp types).

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I think I can usually pick Ti out from someone's explanation of something, particularly if they go deep enough where there's lots of text to sample. Ti users seem to have these really locked down personal positions on systems, but also have a really hard time translating these positions into words, to the point of their own frustration. It's a lot like Fi in this way. If you have a look at Jung's writings about type for example, it's incredibly dense and detailed, but there's a clear sense (at least to me) that this is something he understands really intimately without being able to fully convey in words. So he gets really wordy, but seems to feel compelled to add detail and even backpedal on some of it. I'll be thinking, "OK Carl, I get it, you're good. Let it go."

Another red flag for me with Ti doms in particular is trouble understanding Fi... and vice versa, as well. Again with Jung, if you read his description of the introverted feeling type, you may get the same impression I did: that he doesn't understand Fi at all.
    I concur. Many times I have talked with Fi users, and they tell me that they constantly think about how they feel about things. When they tell me this, I'm practically dumbfounded and have no fucking clue what the hell they are talking about.

On a side note, these threads are also very helpful for understanding the difference between Ti and Te...

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...g-process.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...vs-lawyer.html

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    Some Ti-doms can actually exhibit something that looks a lot like Fi, and I've wondered if Te-doms can also exhibit something akin to Fe.
    Right or left brain alternatives. Unconscious as functional perspectives, but can manifest in behavior.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Some Ti-doms can actually exhibit something that looks a lot like Fi, and I've wondered if Te-doms can also exhibit something akin to Fe. I've lived with Ti-doms for 20 years now, and one had no Fi, but just a little Fe mostly that humored him. The other has something akin to Fi, but he is absolutely a Ti-dom.
    I think so. I'm one of those Fi-ish Ti-doms (it's only shiny tinfoil...scrape it and well...). I wonder if Ti-doms that are like this have learned to not cling to logical frameworks so damn tight? Stop treating it like a life raft. I know I've worked hard at being more open-minded and appreciating the paradox of easing up on precise definitions, logic...blah, blah, blah so that I can gain a better understanding of what is going on. Anyway...

My ESTJ definitely looks like he's got Fe turned on. He comes across as being warm, friendly, and engaging in a big way. But he's definitely a Te-dom despite appearances. My ENTJ sister on the other hand...no way.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    I think so. I'm one of those Fi-ish Ti-doms (it's only shiny tinfoil...scrape it and well...). I wonder if Ti-doms that are like this have learned to not cling to logical frameworks so damn tight? Stop treating it like a life raft. I know I've worked hard at being more open-minded and appreciating the paradox of easing up on precise definitions, logic...blah, blah, blah so that I can gain a better understanding of what is going on. Anyway...

My ESTJ definitely looks like he's got Fe turned on. He comes across as being warm, friendly, and engaging in a big way. But he's definitely a Te-dom despite appearances. My ENTJ sister on the other hand...no way.
    My impression is that Obama is a ENTJ who has that Fe aspect which is part of his interaction with the outside world.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

My impression is that Obama is a ENTJ who has that Fe aspect which is part of his interaction with the outside world.
    I'm sorry, Te is really NOT his primary. If it is, he's one of the worst Te-primes I've ever seen in politics; he's much more sit back, observe, measured, approach things carefully and cautiously, and has typically had people misjudge his morality and motivations because he is not Te-prime.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm sorry, Te is really NOT his primary. If it is, he's one of the worst Te-primes I've ever seen in politics; he's much more sit back, observe, measured, approach things carefully and cautiously, and has typically had people misjudge his morality and motivations because he is not Te-prime.
    Perhaps bad example, but I can't seem to think of many Te-doms right now.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    YES this is SO true. I feel this way with reading and listening to long sequences of Ti-heavy text or writing.

Ti IRL tends to raise my F hackles, I have to think about it to not get annoyed with it. That's generally how I identify it, it often makes me feel vaguely stepped on.

I seem to have an easier time with S + Ti for reasons I'm not entirely clear on.