• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you recognize Ti?

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I try to detect their F functions -- if I sense underlying Fe, but it's a T individual, then I come to the conclusion that they use Ti. :blush:

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I try to detect their F functions -- if I sense underlying Fe, but it's a T individual, then I come to the conclusion that they use Ti. :blush:

Are you implying that Ti-users are more empathetic than Te-users? :)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some Ti-doms can actually exhibit something that looks a lot like Fi, and I've wondered if Te-doms can also exhibit something akin to Fe. I've lived with Ti-doms for 20 years now, and one had no Fi, but just a little Fe mostly that humored him. The other has something akin to Fi, but he is absolutely a Ti-dom.

R

RDF

This is a smart approach. I use it as well, often as a back-up means of confirming other impressions.

I register the presence of Tertiary and Inferior Fe in Thinkers as an effort on their part to be a little more harmonious, to smooth the rough edges, to be a little less gruff or abrupt.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I register the presence of Tertiary and Inferior Fe in Thinkers as an effort on their part to be a little more harmonious, to smooth the rough edges, to be a little less gruff or abrupt.

Well... most INTP I know are absolutely devoid of Fe and will do nothing to improve that. They are like this, and like a rock they will never change.

While for the ENTP... well... at least for me Fe comes not as a conscious effort, but rather as an instinct. It's like being aware of what is going on around you, of what people are ruminating in their heads. So sometimes, you try to relieve them of their burdens, to lighten up their days. Playing the clown, smiling, cracking a joke or helping an old lady crossing the street is not a conscious effort: it's effortless.

It's also why, despite the appearance and the show, I also think a lot of ENTP are in fact genuinely selfless people, probably because they sense more than many how absurd and tragic the fate of the average modern man is, and expect no reward when they help people. Perhaps INTP are also selfless, but unfortunately most of them don't act or like to interact with people.

And unlike Fi users, they don't try to find any real meaning to this comedy that life really is, and won't pester you with annoying things like religion or morality.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
the easiest way for me (TP) to spot a TJ is to first notice the commonality - someone with an equal tension towards cognitive dissonance (anything that doesn't make sense), but instead of exploring the matter until it starts make sense, they make active plans to eradicate it from their lives.

maybe the reverse can work for you?

This is interesting to me. From my limited data base of people in real life whose types I am sure of, this seems to hold true. I'd be curious to see if other people here would agree or no.

R

RDF

Well... most INTP I know are absolutely devoid of Fe and will do nothing to improve that. They are like this, and like a rock they will never change.

Nonetheless, I register INTPs as less abrupt than INTJs and less gruff than ENTJs, for example. It's only when they get peevish that all smoothness goes out the window. Or when they shut down and go blank.

While for the ENTP... well... at least for me Fe comes not as a conscious effort, but rather as an instinct. It's like being aware of what is going on around you, of what people are ruminating in their heads. So sometimes, you try to relieve them of their burdens, to lighten up their days. Playing the clown, smiling, cracking a joke or helping an old lady crossing the street is not a conscious effort: it's effortless.

It's also why, despite the appearance and the show, I also think a lot of ENTP are in fact genuinely selfless people, probably because they sense more than many how absurd and tragic the fate of the average modern man is, and expect no reward when they help people. Perhaps INTP are also selfless, but unfortunately most of them don't act or like to interact with people.

And unlike Fi users, they don't try to find any real meaning to this comedy that life really is, and won't pester you with annoying things like religion or morality.

Good description of ENTPs. I like it. :thumbup:

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Not exactly. It's more like there's a distinct flavor to Te/Fi that to me feels like a strange blend of hard and soft. Fe/Ti or Ti/Fe is a bit 'harmonious'.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

This is totally relatable for some reason. I feel a certain kinship with Ti/Fe, like I get them much more easily than I do Fi or Te individuals. Something rings very true to me about the tragic and absurd fate of mankind...

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I think IXTJs can be nitpickers too though.

Nitpicking is the spice of life. Oh wait, no, that's variety. Well, just nitpick about a variety of things and you'll cover all bases.

I'm not entirely convinced that nitpicking is necessarily a sign of Ti.

T

The Iron Giant

I think I can usually pick Ti out from someone's explanation of something, particularly if they go deep enough where there's lots of text to sample. Ti users seem to have these really locked down personal positions on systems, but also have a really hard time translating these positions into words, to the point of their own frustration. It's a lot like Fi in this way. If you have a look at Jung's writings about type for example, it's incredibly dense and detailed, but there's a clear sense (at least to me) that this is something he understands really intimately without being able to fully convey in words. So he gets really wordy, but seems to feel compelled to add detail and even backpedal on some of it. I'll be thinking, "OK Carl, I get it, you're good. Let it go."

Another red flag for me with Ti doms in particular is trouble understanding Fi... and vice versa, as well. Again with Jung, if you read his description of the introverted feeling type, you may get the same impression I did: that he doesn't understand Fi at all.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
It's generally hard to spot Ti in an individual. What's easier to do is if you can spot their first and third function, and decide that they use Ti by default. For example I was mistyped as ENFP for a long time, but I was able to recognize that I use Fe very well and don't use Fi at all, and I was clearly an Ne dom. So by default, I knew that I was a Ti user. Also, look at the Ti vs. Te arguing style: the Te users will often times use objective facts when arguing and the Ti users will nitpick at others logic. Also, I've noticed that Ti user's style of solving problems is to play with something to get it to work and the Te style is to research and consult experts in the field. Ti users are often very particular about the way that they word things as well, and are very gifted at being able to find the perfect words to describe anything. Ti also trusts it's own individual sense of logic, where Te users tend to trust the group logic, the facts, and the experts in the field. Ti users are also very good at disassembling physical objects, concepts, ideas, etc, and figuring out how they work. They are often mechanically gifted as well (but that's more biased towards the xstp types).

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I think I can usually pick Ti out from someone's explanation of something, particularly if they go deep enough where there's lots of text to sample. Ti users seem to have these really locked down personal positions on systems, but also have a really hard time translating these positions into words, to the point of their own frustration. It's a lot like Fi in this way. If you have a look at Jung's writings about type for example, it's incredibly dense and detailed, but there's a clear sense (at least to me) that this is something he understands really intimately without being able to fully convey in words. So he gets really wordy, but seems to feel compelled to add detail and even backpedal on some of it. I'll be thinking, "OK Carl, I get it, you're good. Let it go."

Another red flag for me with Ti doms in particular is trouble understanding Fi... and vice versa, as well. Again with Jung, if you read his description of the introverted feeling type, you may get the same impression I did: that he doesn't understand Fi at all.

I concur. Many times I have talked with Fi users, and they tell me that they constantly think about how they feel about things. When they tell me this, I'm practically dumbfounded and have no fucking clue what the hell they are talking about.

On a side note, these threads are also very helpful for understanding the difference between Ti and Te...

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/mbti-tm-other-personality-matrices/61326-ti-problem-solving-process-vs-te-problem-solving-process.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/mbti-tm-other-personality-matrices/62299-ti-te-arguing-film-critic-vs-lawyer.html

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some Ti-doms can actually exhibit something that looks a lot like Fi, and I've wondered if Te-doms can also exhibit something akin to Fe.
Right or left brain alternatives. Unconscious as functional perspectives, but can manifest in behavior.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Some Ti-doms can actually exhibit something that looks a lot like Fi, and I've wondered if Te-doms can also exhibit something akin to Fe. I've lived with Ti-doms for 20 years now, and one had no Fi, but just a little Fe mostly that humored him. The other has something akin to Fi, but he is absolutely a Ti-dom.

I think so. I'm one of those Fi-ish Ti-doms (it's only shiny tinfoil...scrape it and well...). I wonder if Ti-doms that are like this have learned to not cling to logical frameworks so damn tight? Stop treating it like a life raft. I know I've worked hard at being more open-minded and appreciating the paradox of easing up on precise definitions, logic...blah, blah, blah so that I can gain a better understanding of what is going on. Anyway...

My ESTJ definitely looks like he's got Fe turned on. He comes across as being warm, friendly, and engaging in a big way. But he's definitely a Te-dom despite appearances. My ENTJ sister on the other hand...no way.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think so. I'm one of those Fi-ish Ti-doms (it's only shiny tinfoil...scrape it and well...). I wonder if Ti-doms that are like this have learned to not cling to logical frameworks so damn tight? Stop treating it like a life raft. I know I've worked hard at being more open-minded and appreciating the paradox of easing up on precise definitions, logic...blah, blah, blah so that I can gain a better understanding of what is going on. Anyway...

My ESTJ definitely looks like he's got Fe turned on. He comes across as being warm, friendly, and engaging in a big way. But he's definitely a Te-dom despite appearances. My ENTJ sister on the other hand...no way.
My impression is that Obama is a ENTJ who has that Fe aspect which is part of his interaction with the outside world.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My impression is that Obama is a ENTJ who has that Fe aspect which is part of his interaction with the outside world.

I'm sorry, Te is really NOT his primary. If it is, he's one of the worst Te-primes I've ever seen in politics; he's much more sit back, observe, measured, approach things carefully and cautiously, and has typically had people misjudge his morality and motivations because he is not Te-prime.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm sorry, Te is really NOT his primary. If it is, he's one of the worst Te-primes I've ever seen in politics; he's much more sit back, observe, measured, approach things carefully and cautiously, and has typically had people misjudge his morality and motivations because he is not Te-prime.
Perhaps bad example, but I can't seem to think of many Te-doms right now.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

YES this is SO true. I feel this way with reading and listening to long sequences of Ti-heavy text or writing.

Ti IRL tends to raise my F hackles, I have to think about it to not get annoyed with it. That's generally how I identify it, it often makes me feel vaguely stepped on.

I seem to have an easier time with S + Ti for reasons I'm not entirely clear on.