User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

When you feel a sharp sudden pain in your testes after someone has finished saying something...
    ...That's Ti, baby.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    When you feel a sharp sudden pain in your testes after someone has finished saying something...
    ...That's Ti, baby.

what the...I don't even...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Since no one is being impartial, it's kinda like Te, but non-invasive and much more informative.

-----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    Short answer: Generally, I usually register T as an absence of F.

For example, many people mistype T women as Feelers because T women often get good at doing the “soft girly” thing through practice. But as an F myself, I can often spot the lack of true F in such women: I see that there’s still a hard edge there, I see that they don’t “dote” on people or things, I see a lack of softness in how they compete or in their humor or whatever. (I’m not saying that a T’s hard edge is a bad thing; I like it, in fact. Mainly I’m just saying that I register a difference...)
    I have a tough time with women in work situations. I feel like I can tell F or T preference, but it is often difficult for the reasons you describe. I like the "absence of F".

Well, Ti is so self-contained that the outward features of Ti include calmness, impersonality, imperviousness to criticism or drama, obliviousness to "the human element," etc., in other words a lack of F drama and reactivity. And that gets back to what I was saying at the start of my post...
    The thing is IXTJs also can outwardly demonstrate calmness, impersonality, imperviousness to criticism or drama and obliviousness to the human element

Quote Originally Posted by valentine View Post
    From what I can tell the ti users nitpick the logic involved, the ixtj's pull apart the stupidity involved.
    I nitpick people's writing. Clarity, getting to the point, grammar, messaging and things like that. Vague generalizations drive me nuts and wrong is worse. ISTJs come across as nitpicking accuracy, sometimes of things I feel are irrelevant. Those are two very different kinds of nitpicking of Te types.

I can see how a Ti user would pick apart the logic. I don't really do that except for when someone communicates a conclusion with absolute certainty with poor or no reasoning. It's ok to say you think a thing to be true but not to have clearly identified reasons but it is not ok to be certain in a conclusion with nothing to back it up.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    The thing is IXTJs also can outwardly demonstrate calmness, impersonality, imperviousness to criticism or drama and obliviousness to the human element
    Well, Te has its own set of characteristics which are much easier to spot than Ti since Te operates in the outer world: Decisiveness, organization, and other judger-type features. So I was discounting Te in my description of Ti.

So I guess a fuller description of Ti (as seen by an outside observer) would be the absence of F and also the absence of Te. in other words: a certain "hard edge" plus a perceiver-ish habit of temporizing (lack of decisiveness and organization). Something like that.

[Edit:] And the nitpick thing was just a joke aimed at digesthisickness. I wasn't really considering nitpicking as a marker for Ti; though perhaps for a discriminating observer it might provide a clue in one direction or another.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Short answer: Generally, I usually register T as an absence of F.

For example, many people mistype T women as Feelers because T women often get good at doing the “soft girly” thing through practice. But as an F myself, I can often spot the lack of true F in such women: I see that there’s still a hard edge there, I see that they don’t “dote” on people or things, I see a lack of softness in how they compete or in their humor or whatever. (I’m not saying that a T’s hard edge is a bad thing; I like it, in fact. Mainly I’m just saying that I register a difference...)

What I said above may seem like an unfair answer to the OP, that is, defining the presence of Ti as the absence of F. But actually I went to the books, and they said pretty much the same thing. Obviously Ti is about logic and objective analysis; but Ti is an introverted function, so the “logic aspect” may not appear in a form that’s obvious to outside observers. So what’s left for the outside observer to see? Well, Ti is so self-contained that the outward features of Ti include calmness, impersonality, imperviousness to criticism or drama, obliviousness to "the human element," etc., in other words a lack of F drama and reactivity. And that gets back to what I was saying at the start of my post...
    I see Data as the "T" ideal, so I have never quite shared in the assumption that Thinkers have hard edges. I think anger produces hard edges and is possibly the most subjective state of mind.

My understanding is that Te will tend to rely more on established information by using more external references, and being able to organize and categorize the relationships between defined knowledge. Ti is focused more on the system of logic and does more internal processing of information to establish fact. Because of this internal sense of logic, there can be a greater tendency to create individualized definitions and premises that are not universally accepted knowledge. I tend to see Ti-doms a bit more focused on establishing the definitions of terms in debate because individuals can allow these to drift while constructing their own inner sense of logic. I have seen Ti-doms be more concerned with the correct process of logic rather than on the verifiability of the conclusions that are run through their logic machine. I see Te as more equally concerned with the accuracy of conclusions including how they map to the external world. Ti also seems concerned with the conceptual efficiency of an idea and Te with the practicality of an idea.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Society

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    How do you recognize that someone is dominant or auxiliary Ti? This is not always fully evident to me. I can generally recognize Te pretty easily but Ti seems more difficult. Also, in asking this question, I mean how to do you recognize this in isolation? It is easy to look at the characteristics of someone who uses Ti and Ne and blend characteristics of those two together. Whatever you do to recognize it should work equally well for an ISTP as well as for an ENTP and an INTP /for example.
    the easiest way for me (TP) to spot a TJ is to first notice the commonality - someone with an equal tension towards cognitive dissonance (anything that doesn't make sense), but instead of exploring the matter until it starts make sense, they make active plans to eradicate it from their lives.

maybe the reverse can work for you?

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

When somebody asks "Define X first", it's Ti.

When somebody says "X doesn't work", it's Te.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Te-Si: "Stop bothering me with an unpractical idea!"

Si-Te: "It's not working, so I have to kill you now."

Te-Ni: "It won't work! Next suggestion, please?"

Ni-Te: "It's a shame that this can not work. Too bad."

Ti-Se: "Your reasoning is illogical and hence must be discarded".

Se-Ti: "I don't have much time to spend on absurdities, pal!"

Ti-Ne: "It's absurd! Unless, of course, you invent a new logical frame for it..."

Ne-Ti: "Absurdities are cool!"
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI
    Likes Punderstorm liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

As far as the couple of Ti dominants I've known personally go: sees the world in terms of what personally makes sense to the user and how it does. There is a pulling back from influences that might cloud this ability, but with time and age, more gets worked into the grand scheme, including feelings and concepts they used to resist.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]