123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Default Your Cool Si - Talk About It

So 'round these parts, Se always gets the rep for being the "sexy function" and Si is painted as an uptight librarian.

But we all know about those uptight librarians!

And Si is undoubtedly much more Romantic than Se.

So what is awesome & intriguing about "your Si"?

Some fun facts about Si users:

- A Si type is more likely to be Willy Wonka, an eccentric wealthy benefactor & collector of exotics, like small orange people from the Amazon. - TRUE
    - A Si type is also more likely to be Van Gogh, an eccentric & spiritual painter who lives in meager surroundings & captivates people with his blurry blobby, subjective reality long after he dies unrecognized in poverty. - FACT
    - Okay, those two are probably INFP. - PROBABLY
    - Which means Si types also have some Ne in there, which takes all of those arbitrarily collected facts & sensations & creates something massively innovative or hilarious with 50 layers of meaning ahead of its time that Se types will copy in 50 years as the trend du jour. And at the very least, the ISTJ will offer a wry & humorous observation which simply & accurately skewers reality or the ISFJ will tell you charming, rose-colored stories of the old days that never really happened - SPECULATION

I tend to experience Si in retrospect… In the moment, everything is kind of dreamy, blobby & atmospheric (VAGUE), and I focus on my impressions of facts over the facts themselves, but later, in reviewing them, they'll strike me more, and highlight something I had never considered before. In thinking of the same fact again at a later time, I continue to see something new about it, and my grasp of what is real about life deepens.

But a few things are striking in the moment when the metaphorical light hits them just so, and then again & again you can think of these things & feel exhilarated, like the sensation funnels down into the toes, and you sort of luxuriate in its nuances & examine its various angles so a new aspect of it can emerge, gleaning every bit of its reality by reprocessing it until it starts to fade out.

Tell me about your cool Si!
    Last edited by OrangeAppled; 05-14-2013 at 02:36 AM. Reason: typos abound
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Si is quite the kinky librarian..... it really is so much more quirky than people give it credit for. I'm sure INxPs here have some good things to tell but too often pin them all on their Ne. A picture-interpretation exercise would be good for displaying the cool side of Si......

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

lol wut?

(I have secretly cut my ear off)

I definitely would be Willy Wonka if I were super wealthy. I would collect zany Ne users like there's no tomorrow.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I'm going to give this a try, but may accidentally venture into how the Ne-Si cycle feeds into one another, as I can have trouble separating them. This is the way it works for me, anyway:

One of the ways I feel it's presence is through knowledge and understanding of the world. It's not just a bunch of useful facts, it's a convergence of many layers of information and meaning onto each of those facts. Si tells me the world is full of signs and once you collect/absorb/retain them, even unconsciously, you have an endless reference text to consult. Nothing can really be strange, elusive or devoid of meaningful information. You just have to read the signs; let them speak to you, and it's familiar again.

To use an example, I went to a pub quiz (which I regularly go to), last night. In the music section you had to guess the singer based on a picture (with the face covered) and an audio interview with the artist. The answer wasn't immediately apparent but it was just a matter of mining the information we had.

The voice I didn't especially recognise but it sounded like youngish guy. In the photo you could see a little skin, enough to tell he's probably white (or relatively light in skin tone). You could also tell from the quality of the image that it was taken in relatively recent years. All of which is pretty generic information.

But the photo looked like this...
    buble.jpg

...which immediately made me think of this...

It brought to mind images and impressions of Sinatra, big band music, jazz crooners, fedora hats, the mid 20th century fashion, and a whole list of other bits of information - a sort of Ne free association of Si stored up facts. Putting all these things together starts to form a picture of the person in question.

This line of thinking turned out to spot on, as answer was Michael Buble.

When I mentioned the jacket and tie to my team afterwards, they thought it was bizarre that I would even notice them, let alone make that connection; and I suppose it was. I'm not a particular Sinatra or Big Band fan (although I do enjoy some), and I know next to nothing about fashion history, but some time or another I unconsciously stored up that picture and all the little things associated with it - and all that was enough.

Later, I thought it about this in relation to Si. I really love those little things stored away in my head without me even knowing it. I really love being able to draw on them to help make sense of what is happening now. It like the comfort of knowing I have all the clues I need to solve the puzzles of life, I just have to work out how to put them together correctly. Of course, there is always more to be learned; more information to collect - and the more I do, the overall picture becomes clearer and clearer.

I find that really cool, even if most people would think it lame and nerdy.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

This might have nothing to do with Si, but I witnessed my ISFJ mom's superhuman talent the other day:

There's this weird running joke/nonsense in our family that when we phone home to say we're on the way and someone asks "Where are you right now?", we would choose the most obscure thing we see at that moment to tell them. Last week when I tried this on my mom by reading out the name of a rickety shop (amongst hundreds) that we pass on our way home, she knew exactly where it was.

I know this is probably *not* impressive, but, well, it was something I would never in a million years be able to do
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

This might have nothing to do with Si, but I witnessed my ISFJ mom's superhuman talent the other day:

There's this weird running joke/nonsense in our family that when we phone home to say we're on the way and someone asks "Where are you right now?", we would choose the most obscure thing we see at that moment to tell them. Last week when I tried this on my mom by reading out the name of a rickety shop (amongst hundreds) that we pass on our way home, she knew exactly where it was.

I know this is probably *not* impressive, but, well, it was something I would never in a million years be able to do
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Si isn't cool. At least not when it is dominant.

Si is that silent kid that sits in the back and appears mysterious for all of 3 seconds, until he/she opens his/her mouth and comes out with a string of snore-fest descriptions of things they have seen and facts they have heard...all in excruciating detail.

"I did this and went here and he said this and she responded this and then we went there and did this thing and the thingwasgoodandthenwewentsomewhereelseanddidsometh ingwithsomepeopleandblahblahsnoresnore....death"
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

Its coolness doesn't lend itself well to written descriptions. Mostly, I'm amused by strange this-reminds-me-of-that impressions and feelings that I can't exactly explain, but are really cool to experience.

I remember when I was in dance class as a child, one of the songs reminded me of a giant, crimson, smirking tiki face. I "saw it" in my mind's eye whenever it was played. I can't say how or why that's what it made me see, but it was amusing, nonetheless. These sorts of strange associations happen to me all the time.

I get "feelings" a lot, which are sort of cool, I guess. Whenever I go on vacation, it takes me a long time to "feel" like I'm at home. The feel of homeness is physical to me. I don't know how the hell to explain it. But I carry around this foriegn feeling in my gut which takes awhile to go away.

Now that I think of it, none of this is probably very cool to anyone except me.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I think Si also involves itself in a lot of the natural sciences. Like, looking at a leaf, and comparing it to descriptions and pictures in a book to determine what species it comes from. (I'm trying to learn tree identification, now, so this is on my mind). And of course, there's finding the constellations, also. Most of them don't even really look like what they are supposed to, so you're basically trying to find the right pattern of dots, and some of those dots might be hard to see.

I mean, that's Si, right? I suppose most people wouldn't think that type of thing groovy or bodacious, but it is in my book.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I mean, that's Si, right? I suppose most people wouldn't think that type of thing groovy or bodacious, but it is in my book.
    I agree, but ive always wondered what the point of dominant Si is? As a secondary and tertiary it makes sense, even as an inferior it makes sense, but as a dominant?

It just sounds like an extremely bizarre way to perceive information. It also sounds like an incredibly miserable life as well as it appears as a very melancholic function....always wishing it were back at some other point, as the future becomes more grey and dull with each passing moment.....

Bearing in mind I am possibly Si dominant myself.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.